Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you agree with Will Wright? Is Civ 4 too daunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In SimCity you don't have to build the biggest and best city to win, it's up to you to choose the goals and how you want to satisfy them. Each time you build more city or unleash destruction in the form of disasters, you experience a challenge.

Civ on the other hand pits you against some of the world's greatest leaders, or as close as you can get in a game, and has you striving to be the best at something in order to win. Each turn is potentially another challenge to grapple with, and affects the turns which follow.

As has been discussed, both games suit a particular gaming need. If you only have a half-hour of time to kill, then SimCity is fairly easy to pick up where you left off, but if you have heaps of time handy then Civ 4 will make it pass by (one more turn!) very quickly.
    O'Neill: I'm telling you Teal'c, if we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it.

Lose it. It means, Go crazy. Nuts. Insane. Bonzo. No longer in possession of one's faculties. Three fries short of a Happy Meal. WACKO!

Comment

On the other hand, the addition of the Bureaucracy civic, the Academy special building, religious Great Shrines, the altered Great Library, and the National Epic has done a lot to reduce the bigger-always-better factor. A one-city challenge no longer means being far behind in tech and having a pitiful military--although you still have the problem of not being able to encompass many resources with your single city. I have often managed to reach a Spaceship victory on Prince or Monarch level on a huge map while having only about six cities.
      Those who live by the sword...get shot by those who live by the gun.

Comment

Daunting? Of course! Civ 4 is for the Dauntless! Settlers of Catan is for the dauntful.

Comment

Working...
        X