Most successful AI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most successful AI

I've seen a LOT of anecdotal evidence floated around as God's own truth concerning Civ 4 and it's multitude of AI minions. There seem to be some accepted received truths:

- Montezuma is a war-monger
    - Isabella is a religious zealot
    - Gandhi is good at the space race
    - Tokugawa is an isolationist

But for every one of these "truths" I've experienced its disproof, such as the time Tokugawa came THIS close to winning a diplomatic victory.

Certainly, in any game as varied and variable as Civ 4 it would be foolish to think that no dramaticly different outcomes would result from the same AI.

To try to do this more scientifically, we'll start with a poll whose hypothesis I think we can all agree on:

"In your experience, which AI leader is most likely to declare war on you?"

Hypothesis: Montezuma will be chosen at least 40 percent of the time, and more than any other leader.

Does anyone think this would be useful data to have concerning other assumptions of AI behavior?
    "The human race would have perished long ago if its preservation had depended only on the reasoning of its members." - Rousseau
    "Vorwärts immer, rückwärts nimmer!" - Erich Honecker
    "If one has good arms, one will always have good friends." - Machiavelli

NOTE: This will require significant response to be accurately measureable and to filter out responses such as, "I hate Montezuma so I never allow him in any of my games so X is most likely to attack me."
    "The human race would have perished long ago if its preservation had depended only on the reasoning of its members." - Rousseau
    "Vorwärts immer, rückwärts nimmer!" - Erich Honecker
    "If one has good arms, one will always have good friends." - Machiavelli

Comment

I only seen Toku do good in one game. And that was after he conquered another civ and parts of a 3rd.

My vote goes to Mansa Musa. The financial really helps out the AI, and I think the good early defensive unit protects them against barbs better allowing them to survive the early barb onslaught and start building their economy.

Comment

My computer won't let me vote. My vote would be invalid anyway - I mostly play World Map scenarios, so the answer depends on which country I play as.
        Participating in my threads is mandatory. Those who do not do so will be forced, in their next game, to play a power directly between Catherine and Montezuma.

Comment

I think your results are going to be off anyway because many people won't notice that the poll question is different from the thread subject

If Monty's in my game and anywhere near me on the map, he WILL declare war on me. It's just a matter of when

Comment

Im in a lot of Games
            I been attacked more by Saladin and Cyyrus than any other

Of course, I do have a set policy, feed a growling dog once and feed it for life

I never cave to threats
            Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

I accidentally voted for Asoka (as most successful AI). The AI most likely to declare war on you is Alexander.

Comment

Originally posted by Strategist83
                I accidentally voted for Asoka (as most successful AI). The AI most likely to declare war on you is Alexander.
                Trying to learn here, is there a particular reason Alexander attacks?

Circumstances or just because hes a meanie?

Comment

hey the thread topic and poll are two different things. The most successful AI in my games is often Catherine. I'm not sure why, but if I don't knock her flat, she'll win.

I don't have too much of a problem with Monty. the reason is, Monty usually gets way behind me, and never has the power to attack. If he does, i slap him silly and he doesn't do it again.

Alexander and Cyrus are the ones who seem to want to kill me all the time.
                  The Rook

Comment

and I am in several games where Cyrus and Saladin ended up as allies and make a tough nut to crack

But its great practics and makes it more interesting to know should you be in for a penny, you'll be in for a pounding

Comment

I voted Gandhi, just to skew the results
                      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

What the most successful AI is depends on who's playing against it. Warmongers will likely have less trouble with aggressive AIs, builders will have less trouble with builder AIs, etc. Also, map types and game settings play a big role, certain map types and game settingswill always favour some civs more than others. So it's largely a subjective thing, it differs per player.
                        Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Voted Mansa Musa. However, there are several good candidates including Cyrus and Alex.

However, depends a lot. Circumstances matter.
                          I remember a particular game where Monty was the only warmonger and all other were peaceful builders.
                          Monty took advantage of this and actually concuered civ after civ one by one and even if having outdated units and soon controlled half of the land mass in the world.
                          I was killed too so I don't know have that game would have ended...

Tokugawa is not suprisingly the weakest A.I imo though it is strange that he still manages to have reasonable good relations with other A.I:s. But then of course the A.I relations towards other A.I:s works differently than A.I relations toward the human.
                          GOWIEHOWIE! Uh...does that
                          even mean anything?

Comment

Originally posted by Rook
                            The most successful AI in my games is often Catherine. I'm not sure why, but if I don't knock her flat, she'll win.
                            Creative/Financial's one of the best defensive combos there is, actually. Cre improves your city defences, and Fin gets you ahead in the tech race. This usually makes it a bad idea for anyone to attack Catherine, so she can build up her forces at her leisure, and then strike when she gets Cossacks.
                            Participating in my threads is mandatory. Those who do not do so will be forced, in their next game, to play a power directly between Catherine and Montezuma.

Comment

Right this thread is whacked...

The title says "most successful AI" so most people vote Mansa, but the poll is asking which AI declares war most and that AIN'T going to be Mansa.

Nah, that is going to be Monte or Alex as both of them have no social skills and usually end up getting crushed by all the various civs they've attacked.

Comment

Working...
                              X