This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes?

Anyway, I don't know for other genders, races and such, but I play with the leaders that suits my playing style, no matter what color og gender they come in. Perhaps I'm just your ordinary male caucasian after all.:P(btw, why caucasian for white peope? )
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Apparently Caucasian includes people of European descent, people of Middle Eastern descent, all Jews, the vast majority of Indians and Pakistanis, Turks, etc etc.

Caucasian was originally defined to be so broad that it fitted in with the now-outdated view that the world is divided into just three main races.

I prefer 'white' because it properly distinguishes a European person from persons who are quite clearly not European. Although, between us and the table-leg, I also believe that many whites are so different from each other as to constitute separate 'white races'.

Comment

I don't see a problem with saying white or black as long as there's not a double standard. It bothers me when some people are fine being black, white, etc. and then the next person is offended if you don't call him by some euphemism (e.g. African-American, European-American, etc.).

I'm a "European-American," but don't tell anybody that. As far as anyone else is concerned, I'm white.

But if race comes into the whole mix, for white people of European descent there's Celtic, Germanic, Slavic, Latin, Finno-Ugric, whatever the Basques are, and a number of smaller others. And almost all people are mixed breeds anyway [e.g. Spanish. What is Spanish? Well, Iberian (?) + Carthaginian (Semitic) + Celtic + Greek + Roman (Latin) + Vandal and Visigoth (Germanic) + Moor, Berber and Arab (Semitic and North African) + whoever else immigrates to the country and then whoever else you want to add later, like Mesoamerican genes -- then you get Latin Americans]. Maybe I'm overanalytical.

Latin genes produce darker complexion and eyes with medium height. Celtic gives dark hair, a wide variety of eye colors and a taller body type. When you mix Celtic and Germanic you get the red hair and green eyes commonly associated with Celts. Germanics have fairer hair and eyes (but not necessarily blond and blue), and have been so mixed over the centuries with Celts and Slavs that it would be impossible to find a so-called "pureblood" anyway.

Being black and of African descent is not so cut and dry either. Though I'm not as familiar with the terminology for African subraces, there's east-Africans, characterized by Ethiopians who have longer faces, west-Africans, in example the Nigerians, with broader faces, and south-Africans like our handsome Zulu friends. North-Africans like the Berbers look almost like Arabs, so I guess they're not black at all. However, it's much more complicated than that. So don't anybody come and yell at me for over-simplifying it.

Then you can go into all the other races. I would, but I don't want to take forever writing this and I'm merely trying to make a point with a couple of easy examples. In my opinion, having many different "races" in our human race provides diversity and enriches our existance.

Disclaimer: Please don't be offended and come and tell me how much you hate me for attempting to discuss the race issue candidly. I don't hate anyone because of their race. If you feel I have not done this issue justice, I am more than willing to discuss it cordially and will consider any opinion presented reasonably.
        Last edited by Alexander I; March 18, 2006, 10:17.
        The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
        "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
        "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
        The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

Sooo, where do chavs fit?
          I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander01
            In my opinion, having many different "races" in our human race provides diversity and enriches our existance.

With the advent of easy transportation there are many types now in the forming: in fact it's fairer to say that old types are dissolving and there will be even more diversity in the near future.

I believe that the progenitors of the white race formed in the forests of North Europe (rather an emigrating out of Africa), and were almost uniformly fair-skinned and light-eyed. The diversity of European types has come from 'intercommunications' with other groups, hitherto this meant the Mesopotamian, Mediterranean, and Mongolian peoples. Many people living today in Nordic countries are probably absolutely pure and are direct, unmodified descendents of ancestors thousands of years old.

This explains why the European peoples have such diversity of features, whereas, for example, you see almost uniformly straight, black hair in the Far East; uniformly dark hair and eyes in African countries. There will come a point when 'intercommunication' will actually replace diversity of characters and more or less standardize (darken) the whole of Europe, much as it was standardized in the times of the ancient Nordics.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander01
              I don't see a problem with saying white or black as long as there's not a double standard. It bothers me when some people are fine being black, white, etc. and then the next person is offended if you don't call him by some euphemism (e.g. African-American, European-American, etc.).

I'm a "European-American," but don't tell anybody that. As far as anyone else is concerned, I'm white.

But if race comes into the whole mix, for white people of European descent there's Celtic, Germanic, Slavic, Latin, Finno-Ugric, whatever the Basques are, and a number of smaller others. And almost all people are mixed breeds anyway [e.g. Spanish. What is Spanish? Well, Iberian (?) + Carthaginian (Semitic) + Celtic + Greek + Roman (Latin) + Vandal and Visigoth (Germanic) + Moor, Berber and Arab (Semitic and North African) + whoever else immigrates to the country and then whoever else you want to add later, like Mesoamerican genes -- then you get Latin Americans]. Maybe I'm overanalytical.

Latin genes produce darker complexion and eyes with medium height. Celtic gives dark hair, a wide variety of eye colors and a taller body type. When you mix Celtic and Germanic you get the red hair and green eyes commonly associated with Celts. Germanics have fairer hair and eyes (but not necessarily blond and blue), and have been so mixed over the centuries with Celts and Slavs that it would be impossible to find a so-called "pureblood" anyway.

Being black and of African descent is not so cut and dry either. Though I'm not as familiar with the terminology for African subraces, there's east-Africans, characterized by Ethiopians who have longer faces, west-Africans, in example the Nigerians, with broader faces, and south-Africans like our handsome Zulu friends. North-Africans like the Berbers look almost like Arabs, so I guess they're not black at all. However, it's much more complicated than that. So don't anybody come and yell at me for over-simplifying it.

Then you can go into all the other races. I would, but I don't want to take forever writing this and I'm merely trying to make a point with a couple of easy examples. In my opinion, having many different "races" in our human race provides diversity and enriches our existance.

Disclaimer: Please don't be offended and come and tell me how much you hate me for attempting to discuss the race issue candidly. I don't hate anyone because of their race. If you feel I have not done this issue justice, I am more than willing to discuss it cordially and will consider any opinion presented reasonably.
              Someone have to be amazingly thin-skinned to take offense by your post IMO.
              I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Originally posted by Zoid

Someone have to be amazingly thin-skinned to take offense by your post IMO.
                Thanks
                "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
                "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
                The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

Originally posted by Son of David
                  There will come a point when 'intercommunication' will actually replace diversity of characters and more or less standardize (darken) the whole of Europe, much as it was standardized in the times of the ancient Nordics.
                  I think that will be true of the world in general. Inter-racial marriages are becoming more and more common everywhere, and contact between various racial types is occuring with increasing frequency. Eventually there will be one more or less homogenous racial type all over the world with only minor variations from region to region. Mind you that situation is far, far in the future and is dependant on whether we even survive as a species long enough.

Comment

As it is there are already mixed breeds of mixed breeds.

Example: Me

Father - German citizen, genetically German, English and Scottish

Mother - American citizen, genetically, English, Scottish, Welsh, Norwegian, and Jersier (from Jersey)

Me = Confused

Okay, so that's all Celtic and Germanic, but it's from a lot of different sources, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by potoroo
                      Bugger Future Tech, I'd settle for them making the Internet a useful tech again. In Civ3 it boosted your research via Laboratories, in Civ4 it's arguably the most useless tech in the tree. By the time you get it you've got all the other techs anyway so the "free two techs known by other civs" is worthless.

But I dare say this has been mentioned before.
                      I think it's meant more to bring up the laggers technologically. Since everyone knows everyone by this stage, the Internet will lift up all the third worlders.

It's a world project, not a world wonder.
                      "The human race would have perished long ago if its preservation had depended only on the reasoning of its members." - Rousseau
                      "Vorwärts immer, rückwärts nimmer!" - Erich Honecker
                      "If one has good arms, one will always have good friends." - Machiavelli

Comment

Alexander01:my deepest respect.Nothing to say,you said everything.Thinking in my daughters,grand sons and grand grand sons,I hope people like you will always prevail.
                        Best regards,

Comment

Originally posted by fed1943
                          Alexander01:my deepest respect.Nothing to say,you said everything.Thinking in my daughters,grand sons and grand grand sons,I hope people like you will always prevail.
                          Best regards,
                          Thank you very much. I appreciate your support.

Comment

Originally posted by Willem

I think that will be true of the world in general. Inter-racial marriages are becoming more and more common everywhere,

There's a difference between 'inter-racial' and 'inter-ethnic', too.

Generally speaking the greater difference between the two types that reproduce, the more unlikely the off-spring will be to look like either of them. Seems to me like the perfect way of determining how much genetic difference there are between those types, i.e. in terms of appearance, rather than listing a catalogue of persons whose sole difference from each other may only have been which part of Europe they lived in.

Countries are largely arbitrary creations, after all.

Comment

Guys, this is really an interesting discussion, but shouldn't we try to focus on the XP? That, or try focusing on getting this baby locked, in which case you can just go on.
                              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
                                Guys, this is really an interesting discussion, but shouldn't we try to focus on the XP? That, or try focusing on getting this baby locked, in which case you can just go on.
                                Yeah, you're probably right.

Comment

Working...
                                X