Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Most important Tech is.....

Originally posted by Destroyer
    Getting that far is another matter. Its possible to discover virtually all of the techs before it from goody huts. This alone can give you or the ai a huge advantage.

After a religion or two I always make a beeline for Currency. I understand that barbarians require dicovery of bronze, iron working or archery, but I usually discover at least one of these from goody huts.
    What level of difficulty are you playing on? I find it rare to get technology from goody huts past Noble level.
    "Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu

Comment

Preisthood.

This is because of my general strategy when I play, which is to get the oracle as fast as possible, then get Code of Laws for free, found Confusism and then trade CoL for lots of other techs when I get Alphabet.

Comment

Re: Re: Most important Tech is.....

Originally posted by djpsychonaut

What level of difficulty are you playing on? I find it rare to get technology from goody huts past Noble level.
        I got bronze working on Noble once, so you can still get good ones on Noble.

Comment

If you've got tech trading turned on, Alphabet.
          Participating in my threads is mandatory. Those who do not do so will be forced, in their next game, to play a power directly between Catherine and Montezuma.

Comment

Depends on your starting location; the most important early game tech is whichever one lets you utilize the resources you start out near; either farming, fishing, animal husbandry, mining, or rarely masonry or hunting. The civ that develops it's cow/rice/gold first has a huge advantage in the very early game.

Comment

Early stage is the most important, and Bronze Working is a must first. (unless intend to grab religion).

Bronze Working would allow chop-settler, and also reveal Copper. Axeman is another bonus.

Comment

Animal Husbandry because it shows you where the horses are. The same is true for Bronze Working and Iron Working. They reveal resources required for military units, all this at a time where you are still building cities, and with the resources revealed, you get some more information as to where good city spots would be.

Otherwise, it is Guilds. I find I can do a great deal of damage with Knights if I am in that gameplay mode.

If I am in a builder mode, then it is Music. I always have some place where a Great Artist comes in real handy.
                If you aren't confused,
                You don't understand.

Comment

Radio (post flight).

Bombers change the game, afterwards noone is safe from my stuka supported armies. 80% of the conquest i do comes post flight... i can struggle to take 4 or 5 cities in any age, then with bombers and tanks i take continents in mear turns... it's so wonderful.
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

Hauptman? Who's Hauptman?
                    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

MATHEMATICS.

I say this after some consideration. Firstly, the Hanging Gardens is an amazing wonder! A free population point in each and every city means a massive boost for the early mid-game.

And secondly, this is the tech that branches off into other important elements of the game: calendar if you need plantations for happiness or trade, or if you're going for astronomy early on; construction for the essential catapults and even elephants if you're lucky, and of course currency itself.

God bless mathematics!

Comment

Bronze working for the early game, without doubt. Bronze determines your strategy for expansion - you need to know whether you will be attacking or building as quickly as possible.

For the midgame, I'd go with Liberalism. In a close science race, one free tech at that level can make the difference. If you're behind, it can give you a bargaining chip (as in trade both Lib and the tech you get from it - or just one). If you're ahead, you're likely to be that much closer to cavalry time.

For the late game, Flight. You can have a civ where everyone over the age of ten is plodding around in Modern Armor and your economy is thriving, and if you don't watch your sky you will be hurt so badly it's not even funny. Flight - and Radio when applicable - are the main tools of attack and defense in the late game.
                        Veni, Vedi, Veresetti

Comment

Rocketry...

From that point whole concept of modern era changes to Race for Space Ship.

Comment

Originally posted by player1
                            Rocketry...

That's why I hate it so much.
                            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by player1
                              Rocketry...

That's why I turn the bloody thing off. Time too.

You want to beat me?? BEAT me, don't just last longer than I did. Don't just build something I didn't even try to.

In the first Civ's this was fine because it was the single goal of the whole game. Now that there's more than one way to win I hate when I'm going for culture and the AI steals it from me with a space race.

Also why I turn off diplomacy. 7 other civs deciding who wins? And people have the nerve to complain about seeing through the FoW? How about just deciding that you don't win? Rubbish.

Tom P.

Comment

Working...
                              X