No announcement yet.

What not to do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some things are just a matter of opinion... I also didn't like possibility's posts because they are too dogmatic.

I have won games on Emperor where I was alone on a continent and I didn't care less about researching Optics. Instead I followed my favorite path of Paper/Education/Liberalism and let them find me.

However the original poster's advice is valid. Don't give Astronomy to Alex because he is programmed as a paranoid character and he will (probably) attack you.

unamablebuiler lost a city and wanted to resign. So what? Who am I to tell him how to play his game?

Comment

Rancidlunchmeat

yes i may have been harsh on him and i know i still have lots to learn. I also made the assumtion that possibillitiy also replayed to at least to get how the situation played out. it may have been a bad assumption. i also left out the attack at detroit

However one thing i have learnt is that it is a bad idea to run large deficits for any length of time. my reserves of gold were the only thing that stopped the wars with greece and spain.

2 main priorities were expansion and economy, mill was more to keep barbarians at bay and not a major concern.

Alkis is right. I try not to critisize someones playstyle and as i am inexperinced in matters relatin to stategy i rty to stay out unless i think somethng is missing. Also if i think i am/anyone is missing someting i will say so.

possibillity :
      it can be difficult giving advice i did not mean to imply you were stupid just that there might be annother alternative. Aslo i appreciate the time you spent looking at the save file when you could of been doing other things.

everyone btw i will be saving this thread lots of important stuff is in here i reckon.

continuing 1950
      spaceship parts beigh built by the leading 4 powers i am building apollo .... it will probably be a loss but i will be closer that any previous game(this is my 5th game on prince) A closer loss is an improvement ?

Comment

Once thing I would say about the island game is that you need to spot the signs sooner. I would tend to assume by 2000 BC whether or not I am alone simply by the lack of contact. Subsequent exploration should confirm this to be the case. Given the number of scouts that the AI nations have, and the free wins that they get, someone would have got through. It is important to know this as soon as possible so that you can plan your next steps.

Militarily I would think you want to be playing minimalist since all you have to worry about are barbarians. Once you’ve got axemen they are not going to be a problem even if they have cities and well position sentries will stop new ones sprouting up. If you have any military imperative it will be your navy and getting to Optics quickly will be important firstly for some Caravels and second to get the circumnavigation bonus. Land units are of lesser importance but I guess it’s obvious that you don’t completely neglect them since even the largest navy cannot stop everything from getting through.

Comment

you hit the nail on the head couerdelion

i was a bit slow on the uptake. I have had some odd shaped continets where there was someone but they didn't find me till 1000 AD that is the exception though and water craft would of shorted this considerably.

during this time i was going for religous/economic techs as i had happines caps in all cities till i had calenders and optics though the gold spawned about the same time. As a result military/expansion techs were left till they were cheaper. i think it might be better to alternate between the tech types. I tend to neglect the mill side anyways only going for the mill techs when i start seeing more advanced units. If i can i will trade with some/anyone for the tech.

i made contact about 1300 AD though i did not have caravels til 1450 - much too late knowing that until galleons it was coming started being built i was safe fom invasion still i needed astronomy for what it gave me a huge boost in the economy and 5 free techs. the economic boost took me from 6th to 1st in GNP and by the time it was over even though i lost i had double the GNP of anyone and was 4 th or 5 th in pop.

i have notice that Naval forces make it easier to keep wars from hitting your lands in this game. however a bigger/more advanced navy will just push you aside and make it much harder to defend. If they have destroyers and you don't have acess to advanced ships it is impossible to protect your sea based assets.

i am planning on doing a replay in about a month from the 4000 BC start. i think these type of maps are good for testing your economic management abilities. While mine are okish i know they aren't quite up to the task.

It isn't real interesting if you like to wage war but it is sweet if you want to build and these maps don't come up often with a decent number of civs. Also you have acess to 6 or 7 oil resources so you could leverage the land warfare side quite effectively in the modern era. no uranium, copper, marble on your land at the start

just a few more thoughts
          Last edited by unamablebuiler; February 20, 2006, 09:37.

Comment

Working...
          X