What do railroads do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do railroads do?

I haven't been able to find any details of this improvement in the civilopedia or booklet. I do remember something about there being no bonus for workshop tiles so I wanted to understand what they add.

They add one hammer to squares with either a mine or a lumbermill.

Comment

And they increase the distance you can move a unit per turn considerably.

Comment

Railroads really come in handy if you're a builder and have a tech edge but are behind in units. You can race your artillery to the trouble spots and decimate the AI's big stacks.

I usually set some of my workers on trade net auto pilot while others work to develope my important production cities and lay track to likely invasion areas.

Comment

and lay track to likely invasion areas
          I love doing that as soon as I get cannons.

Adversary: "Oh, that's nice, he's building a road to the country near my capital"

Adversary: "Oh ****, those troops are moving quickly..."

Comment

Railroads tip the balance firmly back to the defender.

If attack-minded, I try a 'last hurrah' assault on a land-border AI before track gets layed, whilst researching another path (Assembly line or Artillery).

If I'm worried about an AI attacking, I'll go for the railroad-combustion route to improve my defensive capabilities then swing round to (potential) offence with transports and destroyers.

Comment

It lets me play more like I used to on CIV 3, zone defense. If I have railroads spammed everywhere then I don't need to have strong defenses in every city. Some rapid responders will do nicely. It only gives you 10 squares movement (20 for 2 tile movers) rather than unlimited so I do have to keep a few more units local.

By the time I get railroad I have pretty much developed everything so I set all my workers to auto trade network so they do the tedious stuff of railrod building with my help.

Comment

Working...
              X