I hate Monty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate Monty

I prefer to play as a builder... my motto is "Don't start nothin, won't be nothin". So there's nothing I HATE more than my warrior explorers bumping into Montezuma. I hate that warmongering S.O.B. Eventually, inevitably, he declares war on me. I try to stay friendly, I try to live and let live, but he never lets it go. Assuming I survive the inital surprise attack, I end up burning his empire to the ground. With every city I put to the torch, I taunt my monitor "Don't start nothin, won't be nothin!"

I hate a computer ai subroutine. I need help.
    If you're not a rebel at 20 you have no heart. If you're still a rebel at 30 you have no brain.

I find Toku more annoying than Monty, but each to his own. Monty may be an S.O.B, but he's an S.O.B. who plays to his strengths.
    Participating in my threads is mandatory. Those who do not do so will be forced, in their next game, to play a power directly between Catherine and Montezuma.

Comment

Everytime I hear someone talk about Isabela's obsession with religion, Montezuma's warmonering and Tokugawa's isolationist policies I ask myself the same question.

Why don't people play with random personalities switched on?

It kind of feels like cheating to me - meeting a neighbouring ruler for the first time and immeadiately deciding on a game plan based on the predefined personality.

To date the most annoying personality I've come up against was an incarnation of Gandhi that followed an exact pattern of 1) sign open borders 2) declare war within 30 turns 3) destroy infrastructure but not attack any cities 4) make peace 5) offer open borders within 50 turns.
      LandMasses Version 3 Now Available since 18/05/2008.

Comment

The "Gandhi is a sneaky bastard" phenomenon has been alive since the beginnings of Civ. Even when they give him the most peaceable and agreeable AI settings, it seems like everyone has a story about Gandhi backstabbing them.
        "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Thedrin
          Everytime I hear someone talk about Isabela's obsession with religion, Montezuma's warmonering and Tokugawa's isolationist policies I ask myself the same question.

Why don't people play with random personalities switched on?

It kind of feels like cheating to me - meeting a neighbouring ruler for the first time and immeadiately deciding on a game plan based on the predefined personality.

To date the most annoying personality I've come up against was an incarnation of Gandhi that followed an exact pattern of 1) sign open borders 2) declare war within 30 turns 3) destroy infrastructure but not attack any cities 4) make peace 5) offer open borders within 50 turns.

I did that a few times, and sort of agreed with you about the "cheating" feeling, but it occured to me that it could be explained as your ambassadors getting to know the rival leader's personality through normal contact.

I decided I liked knowing their personalities better than random. I consider trying to get tokugawa, monty, or isabella on my side as sort of a mini-game ;p Thus my repeated frustration with monty. That guy's a lunatic ;p

P.S. Tokugawa just declared war on me. Declaring Judaism as my state religion was the last straw for him, apparently. He's so touchy. Oh well, I wanted his territory, anyway
          If you're not a rebel at 20 you have no heart. If you're still a rebel at 30 you have no brain.

Comment

I usually (but not always) play with random personalities checked. It's a little cheap, because the game gives aggressive personalities to those whose traits work with them, and you end up with situations where Monty languishes because he's very passive and avoids going to war, wasting his Aggressive trait. Only thing that makes it fair is that some normally peaceful civs are real tough opponents when they are aggressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Thedrin
              An early turn is 20 years. You should find something about about another leader in 20 years' time.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Well I've decided on a new method of research. 6 axemen, 6 war elephants, and 20 catapults go ask other civs what have you discovered and could we have it please or we'll burn your capitol.

I was on a terra map and stuck in a corner with very little room and the Alexander right in front of me. I converted him to my religion and strted doing everything he asked me, so he'll go to war if I ask him nicely. Dude starts a lot of wars He dragged me into three fights in a row, then made peace while I wasn't looking. I'm deep in enemy territory and taking heavy casualties, and it's like "where the hell are Alexander's troops?"

I need to make friends with a more docile fella.
                Last edited by gilfan; February 12, 2006, 23:56.

Comment

Random peronalities sure would spice things up ... but I think ransomizing A.I players will hurt the A.I somewhat.

This is because that under normal circumastances the A.I have traits that supports their orginal style of play.

If Monty turns up as a pacifist for instance.. then his "Agressive" trait is compleatly wasted.
                  Likewise, if Gandhi turns up as a warmonger and just builds up his military, then the Industrious and spiritual traits are also wasted.
                  GOWIEHOWIE! Uh...does that
                  even mean anything?

Comment

Monty used to top my list of unwanted AI, because of the inevitable attack. Since he wants to fight, the best way to stop him is to keep bribing him to attack someone else, or bribe another AI to attack him. This usually keeps him busy, allowing you to build.

Comment

Being interactive with AI is the key to befriend them. An annoyed civ will attack you enventually, a pleased one wont.

Sign a open border treaty, trade tech or ressource, have same religion, give tribute went asked will give you the little plus in the diplomaty rating that will make the AI attack another civ instead of you.

If you are at -5 or less in the diplomaty rating with the AI he is bound to attack you sometime.

Emperor

Comment

If you neglect your military, some leaders WILL attack you despite good relations.
                        Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Comment

I used to feel the same way about Monty. Now I have decided I like being next to him. I know without a doubt that he will attack me so that forces me to prepare for war. Otherwise I can slip into that passive, builder mentality and I don't win games. If I am aggressive I kick butt. Alexander has become another of my favorites.

Comment

So how many AI personalities are there? Obviously some of the AIs clearly have unique scripts they play to.

Heres my opinion...

Pacifist (MM, elizabeth)
                            Amicable (Asoka, Catherine)
                            Amicable-ruthless (Caesar, Napoleon, Bismarck. These guys slaughter you if you have no military but are otherwise friendly.)
                            Aggressive (isabella, Alexander, the Great Khan)
                            Psychotic (Monty, Tokugowa)

Comment

Originally posted by Crossfire
                              Otherwise I can slip into that passive, builder mentality and I don't win games.
                              You can win games being a pacifist builder.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                              X