Obsoloted Monestaries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On Monasteries, Free Religion, and Scientific Method:

Plan ahead!!! And Monsasteries aren't exactly the most expensive build in the world.
    1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
    Templar Science Minister
    AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Originally posted by joncnunn
      On Monasteries, Free Religion, and Scientific Method:

Plan ahead!!! And Monsasteries aren't exactly the most expensive build in the world.
      One problem that I've encountered though. If you capture an enemy city with a Shrine and you don't have any Monasteries built of that religion, then it can be a hassle trying to spread it and benefit from the gold. I think the Shrine itself should at least allow you build Missionaries without a Monastery. However, I don't see anyway in the unit XML to accomplish that. It looks like you can only have 1 building prerequesite.

Comment

Hmm...for a mod, how about a second kind of Missionary which has the Shrine as a requirement. "Shrine Missionary" perhaps?
        "...your Caravel has killed a Spanish Man-o-War."

Comment

How about just making the shrine double the production of the missionary, or maybe just make missionairies produced in holy cities (with shrines) twice as likely to succeed...

Or what was you considering with the srhine missionary?
          This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio
            How about just making the shrine double the production of the missionary, or maybe just make missionairies produced in holy cities (with shrines) twice as likely to succeed...

Or what was you considering with the srhine missionary?
            But you can't have two building prerequisites, at least not that I can see. So the only option is to have 2 types of Missionaries, one requiring the Shrine and one the Monastery.

I noticed that in the unit files there's an option for Capture. I'm wondering if that means I can attack a unit and enslave like in Civ 3. It might be cool to have an Inquisiter unit that can attack and convert units to Missionaries. Unfortunately I don't know how to use that option as there's nothing else using it at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Willem
              I noticed that in the unit files there's an option for Capture. I'm wondering if that means I can attack a unit and enslave like in Civ 3.
              You mean just like you do with workers in this game?

Comment

How about removing the Monstry prereq. for missionaries after Scientific Method? Is that at all possible?
                Visit my CTP-page and get TileEdit and a few other CTP related programs.
                Download and test SpriteEdit development build.

Comment

Originally posted by Nacht

You mean just like you do with workers in this game?
                  I'm not sure how it works exactly. I keep thinking along the lines of Enslave in Civ 3, but you might be right about the Workers. I'll have to check that out to see if they have anything in that line. I'd like to see an Enslave option in Civ 4 as well, I liked that ability. Especially now that we have religion. It would be cool to have a militant religious unit that had a chance of creating a Missionary if it successfully won a combat.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin the Dane
                    How about removing the Monstry prereq. for missionaries after Scientific Method? Is that at all possible?
                    You would either have to remove Monastery as a building requirement for Missionaries altogether or make it so that Monasteries don't become obsolete. Neither option appeals to me frankly.

Comment

How about just remove the +10% research you gain from monasteries after Scientific Method has been researched?

Comment

I doubt if that's possible. That's what obsolescence does and I don't think there's going to be any other mechanism for doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio
                          How about just remove the +10% research you gain from monasteries after Scientific Method has been researched?
                          That's what happens now.

Although another thing that also happens is you cannot build monestaries anymore. However, you can still train missionaries from existing ones.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Though it seemed a bit odd to me at first, I really like the way they handled Monasteries and their obsolescence in the game, it's an interesting mechanic. It makes sense that you can't decide to become evangelical or gain any scientific benefit from religion after opening up certain modern technologies, and the player's decision here gives their civilization some character. There have been games where I delayed Scientific Method until I couldn't anymore because I was getting so much out of my monasteries and missionary spamming (last game i founded 6 religions and had all 6 in every city I founded and all but the most recent conquests). There have been times when I de-emphasized religion or just didn't build many monasteries, and was able to jump right into Communism, Electricity, etc. at an early time.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                              That's what happens now.

Although another thing that also happens is you cannot build monestaries anymore. However, you can still train missionaries from existing ones.
                              I mean it should ONLY remove the extra research, not make it impossible to build more monestaries

The late religions has a hard time spreading, and with monestaries obsolete shortly after you get them, you might not get them built in all cities, making it even slower to spread as only a few cities can build missionaries

Comment

I don't have a big problem with that.

At that point I usually have built enough monestaries for all the religions that I have founded to spread them within and without my empire.

When push comes to shove you can always reduce your research ratio. Of course, this may not be an advisable move.
                                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                                X