rant: Grr I am so damn impatient!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I almost always finish a game...
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I have finished every single game I started except the demo game (with Sid Meier).

But once I start getting bored of a game, I stop finishing them. There are countless civ2 and smac games I have never finished.

Comment

I tend to start lots as well, but I always try and finish as many as possible.
        "You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
        Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

I fail to "win" most of my games, because i get to a point, where the game is already won and I'm just going through the motions, wich really stopped beeing fun 20 turns ago...

When Im 3 parts from a finished space ship and noone else has build the apollo program yet, whats the point....

When I am at 48.9% of land and need 51.4% to win. Why bother getting back on the boats and steamrollering the next civ, its not like I dont have the military to do the job at this point....

When its 1789 and my calculations show me to have 50 more turns at 100% culture before those cities break legendary, and everyone near loves me... why bother....
          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

I quit a lot. I finished just 2 Noble games before switching to Monarch. BTW playing at Prince is too hard for a newbie
            I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Re: Re: rant: Grr I am so damn impatient!

nevermind...

/me wonders why delete doesn't work

Comment

Delete isn't supposed to work for others than the mods.
                Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

or I'd delete all ya damn posts.

Comment

Those who say that they get bored in the late game because they're so ahead of the other civs should play in a higher difficulty level...
                    I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Funny thing about being so far ahead of the other civs..
                      I play on Prince, and my games are usually very tight through the middle ages. I barely keep up in techs, and struggle to keep an adequate military while getting enough cities and building the necessary buildings..
                      Yet, once the Renaissance rolls around and I get buildings like Wall Street and Oxford U. in place, I tend to pull away from the pack. Not so far ahead that I wind up with tanks vs. riflemen, but enough that by 1900, a space race win is more or less a foregone conclusion.
                      Due to my games being very close up til that point though, I doubt I am ready to move up to Monarch .. maybe I am wrong?

Comment

Well i'd disable space race, it way too easily rules the late game for victory condition. Being forced to conquer your enemy or get a culture/diplomatic win can be quite a challenge.

After that what keeps me playing my games is thinking about things beyond just game terms. I keep a little history going in my head and try to roleplay my civs reactions a bit. Like in my current game with Russia the continent ended up split between Christianity and Judaism. So after many years my neighbors ended up all Christian and I was getting constantly threatened to change my religion or else.

In the end of course Spain attacks me but at a horrible time considering I lead them in tech and have just started rolling musketmen out. Long story short I devastate them in a war and manage to convert another of my neighbors to Judaism. Now my Russia has decided it must lead the cause of Judaism. The second continent with all the other civs was finally discovered so i'm preparing to launch a Jewish crusade to bring light to all the savages over there, namely my goal is to raze all their holy cities.

In other games i've played internal mercenary involving myself in a bunch of foreign wars, really fun stuff. Playing it with reasoning beyond just wage war with X for X resource/city can keep things interesting.
                        "Every good communist should know political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao tse-Tung

Comment

ChaotikVisions: I like how you see the possibilities for fun in your games, because I do the same; I've never been the kind of gamer that only tries to beat the game and do not derive any fun in the process.

That's why SMAC is still my preferred civ-style game: I can actually have lots of fun without necessarily worrying about having to beat the game, what with all the personality and lots of atmosphere that game has.
                          I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

I do the same thing sometimes. I've been using the gamespeedtuner and so forth so i can make it more interesting for me. Since the other civs seem to keep up with me on prince level things are kept interesting all the way to the end. In fact I've only won one game on Prince due to somehow every game one to three civs seem to research techs every 3 turns. :/

Comment

I rarely finish a game unless I play it all the way through on one sitting. It's too annoying to go back and refamiliarize yourself with what is going on throughout your civ and the rest of the world.

I just start a new one each time, new map, new leader, new strategy and just see how much I get done before I have to go do something more productive with my time

Comment

Originally posted by Alex
                                Those who say that they get bored in the late game because they're so ahead of the other civs should play in a higher difficulty level...

Actually I'm usually gettin stomped early/mid game... Fighting for my life with smaller armies, behind the big guys in tech and it is tense and fun, on monarch.

But the whole game is getting ahead. Stomp a few bad guys. muscle my way to the top. But once I'm there, there is NOTHING the AIs can do to knock me down.

The industrial revolution is where i just grow exponentionaly, using mines + railroads with factories etc. The ai's just dont know how to industrialize. and thats when i catch up and/or pass them by. and its all just gowing through the motions then.

Emporer would just prolong my rise by a few turns... But since i can beat ooc emporer np I doubt id notice a dif on a regular game. Just have to conquer more wonders and religions.
                                --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

Working...
                                X