Technology from conquered civs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technology from conquered civs

I know there is a mod that gives you a free tech that you would have been able to discover if you take a city of a civ that has that tech (which would have helped me out immensely in my current game... grumble), but I think there should be a more elegant way. After all, civs didn't automatically learn the new technology of their conquered, it came from living with them an understanding their ways.

I don't know if this can be modded in, but I'm seeing a system where if you have at least 10% of the population of any of your cities be the citizens of a civ you conquered, then you will get a boost to research of any tech that the civ had at that time and you didn't.

So, for example, say you take over a Persian city as Rome. Persia has gunpowder and you don't (yes, based on a true story). The Persian city has 90% Persian citizens. So when you get to gunpowder, you get a 75% boost to research, which indicates how Persian citizens are helping your Roman researchers.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Bah.

I think that the AI should be far more willing to give up their techs rather than be conquered, and I also think that you should automatically get any tech you don't already have from a conquered civ that has a library in any of its cities. If they've got libraries, they've got their wealth of information documented, and if you conquer them.. that information should be yours.

Now, of course, I understand exactly why this isn't the case. Because while it makes sense, it makes the game far too easy in terms of game play. It would essentially create a double reward for conquering your neighbors... getting not only their land, pop and resources, but also the benefit of their research. And let's face it, the research hit is the only balance to warmongering to begin with.

You start getting techs from conquering civ's or capturing their cities, and why would anybody do anything but?

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
      So, for example, say you take over a Persian city as Rome. Persia has gunpowder and you don't (yes, based on a true story). The Persian city has 90% Persian citizens. So when you get to gunpowder, you get a 75% boost to research, which indicates how Persian citizens are helping your Roman researchers.
      I assume by a 75% boost, you mean the specific city get's a 75% boost in science output?
      Interesting idea... it's a bit more advanced that my simple idea:
      When conquering a civ you get some extra science beakers for a random tech they have, but you don't. How many beakers you get is based on how large the city is, and did the city have a library, university, etc when you took the city (the larger the city is, and the more science-buildings it has, the more beakers you get)
      This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Btw, I was wondering what happens if you conquer a city with a Great Scientist in there. Better saying, with any GP

RIAA sucks
        The Optimistas
        I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Originally posted by Aro
          Btw, I was wondering what happens if you conquer a city with a Great Scientist in there. Better saying, with any GP
          The GP get's killed

Comment

What about Academies and the like?
            "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
            "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
            Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

I believe I've taken over academies, so they stay (like shrines for holy cities)

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio

The GP get's killed
                Like Archimedes?

Archimedes of Syracuse

Archimedes was killed in 212 BC during the capture of Syracuse by the Romans in the Second Punic War after all his efforts to keep the Romans at bay with his machines of war had failed. Plutarch recounts three versions of the story of his killing which had come down to him. The first version:-
                Archimedes ... was ..., as fate would have it, intent upon working out some problem by a diagram, and having fixed his mind alike and his eyes upon the subject of his speculation, he never noticed the incursion of the Romans, nor that the city was taken. In this transport of study and contemplation, a soldier, unexpectedly coming up to him, commanded him to follow to Marcellus; which he declining to do before he had worked out his problem to a demonstration, the soldier, enraged, drew his sword and ran him through.
                The second version:-
                ... a Roman soldier, running upon him with a drawn sword, offered to kill him; and that Archimedes, looking back, earnestly besought him to hold his hand a little while, that he might not leave what he was then at work upon inconclusive and imperfect; but the soldier, nothing moved by his entreaty, instantly killed him.
                Finally, the third version that Plutarch had heard:-
                ... as Archimedes was carrying to Marcellus mathematical instruments, dials, spheres, and angles, by which the magnitude of the sun might be measured to the sight, some soldiers seeing him, and thinking that he carried gold in a vessel, slew him.

I love the first version.
                RIAA sucks
                The Optimistas
                I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio
                  I assume by a 75% boost, you mean the specific city get's a 75% boost in science output?
                  Interesting idea... it's a bit more advanced that my simple idea:
                  When conquering a civ you get some extra science beakers for a random tech they have, but you don't. How many beakers you get is based on how large the city is, and did the city have a library, university, etc when you took the city (the larger the city is, and the more science-buildings it has, the more beakers you get)
                  Actually mine is a kind of in the middle of what you described. It isn't just a 75% boost in all science output for the city, but a 75% for that specific tech that the other civ had at the time. So you'd get a beaker bonus when researching one of those techs. Not simply a random tech, but all of the techs they were advanced in.

Though that may be waaay too powerful, so perhaps a 25% boost in all of the techs the other civ has developed and you haven't.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

That's a bit like Adagio's suggestion of getting a number of bonus beakers (actually flasks ) towards a random tech you don't have when you capture an enemy city.
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Yeah, I know... but not quite... because, as I said, it would go to ALL techs you don't have when you capture an enemy city and keep that city (if you raze the city, forget it). Though my beaker boost would only apply once for each tech.

Comment

I´m against gaining technology from conquest. That only encourages warmongering and gives unfair advantage to agressive civs.
                        I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

That's also true, but it is undeniable that during history civs that have conquered others have used their technology as their own.

I think there has to be a way to balance that historical truism and not giving too much of an advantage.

Comment

Perhaps. But I´m not sure this could be accomplished without it being unecessarily complicated. I think it works fine just the way it is. Civ isn´t a historical accuracy game after all.
                            I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Re: Technology from conquered civs

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                              There is a relatively similar mod from Bhruic:

"TechConquest is designed to give a tech boost from conquering enemy cities. When an enemy city is conquered, a list of techs the enemy has that your empire doesn't is created. From that list a random tech is selected.

The number of points you get is based on the size of the city that is captured. You always get a minimum of 25% of the cost of the tech, plus a random amount. The random amount is from 0 to (city size x 5)%. So for a size 4 city, you would get 25-45% of the tech cost. For cities greater than size 15, you get an ever increasing chance of getting the full tech. For example, for a size 20 city, you would get 25-125% of the tech cost, where anything over 100% would get rounded back to 100%."

"The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
                              --George Bernard Shaw
                              A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
                              --Woody Allen

Comment

Working...
                              X