Something extremely stupid with the interface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something extremely stupid with the interface

Yesterday evening I created a missionary and sent him off to Ghengis Khan, who didn't have a religion at the point. Seeing that I didn't have an Open Border agreement with the Khan, the interface asked something along the lines of "Sending a unit into a county that you do not have an Open Border agreement is an act of war. Do you wish to continue?" Seeing that the missionary unit is years away, I answered yes.

Somehow the interface interpreted that as me declaring war on Ghengis Khan What on earth? What kind of mentally retarded person made that decision?
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

I don't quite see what your issue is, it asked if you wanted to continue with an act of war, you said yes and thus declared war. Seems logical to me.
    "You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
    Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

The act of war is not sending the unit into another nation, the act of war is the unit actually entering another nation without Open Border. The missionary was nowhere near Mogolia and it should never have been a declaration of war on my part.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I agree. the wording is a little winding...

It says something like: We cant enter their territory, but we could get a open borders agreement.

-Yes
        -No

I bummed out on that in my first game too. I didnt read it properly and expected -Yes to open the diplomacy screen and suggest an open bordes agreement

oh, well. heads up.
        Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

Just different interpretations on the worded intentions I see.

I'm not bothered with it the way it is, although I can see your issues.
          "You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
          Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

it is a mistake (hopefully) made only once. maybe you can find the wording and change it in some file....
            Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

Originally posted by LzPrst
              it is a mistake
              The only mistake is your interpretation.

If you read it carefully you will see it means exactly what it says.

- Jack Thompson

Comment

From dictionary.com
                question mark
                n.

A punctuation symbol (?) written at the end of a sentence or phrase to indicate a direct question. Also called interrogation point.
                And thus we see, that the question is not in fact in relation to the open borders comment, but rather the declaring war comment.

- Jack Thompson

Comment

I fell for this in my first game to. The wording is a bit confusing. IIRC it says
                  "Entering [...] land will trigger WAR!. You can safely enter if you sign an Open Borders Treaty. Yes/No"
                  Now you think that you agree to sign an open border treaty with the nation in question, but instead you declare war. The last sentence should be in parentheses as it is a parenthetical remark.
                  Last edited by Zoid; January 20, 2006, 06:45.
                  I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Damn, Axaer beat me to it But still it´s confusing because the last sentence isn´t a sentence at all but a parenthetical remark.

Comment

Yeah I agree that the last sentence should be parenthesised as it has no direct relevance to question but rather offers an alternate choice, thus the confusion arises.

You hear that Firaxis? We want PARENTHESES!!!

- Jack Thompson

Comment

Yes! Bad punctuation shouldn´t be allowed to tarnish such a great game!

Firaxis hint of the day http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/parens.asp

Comment

"Are you ready for the Question Mark, Quotation Mark, and Parentheses quiz?"

- Jack Thompson

Comment

It should be
                            [Declare War]
                            [Cancel]

No confusion.

Comment

It should be
                              [Be a man!]
                              [I'm a sissy please don't hurt me]

No confusion.
                              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Working...
                              X