Christianity founded before Christ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christianity founded before Christ?

I was playing a game earlier, and it got me thinking.

Around 400BC I was informed that Christianity had been founded in a distant land. Nothing wrong with that, since Civ4 is not supposed to be historically accurate. But I don't understand how the year can still be xxBC when Christ was born some time prior to the founding date of his religion.

However, the game cannot state a year relative to the birth of Christ until after his birth. So I believe there should be no year (or an ascending calendar, specific to your chosen civ - not the BC system which descends to zero) until the time when Christ is born in the game. I'm pretty sure the year 400BC was not known as 400BC at the time.

Just trying to be difficult.

And your civ doesnt know its 400BC either, but you, beeing an omniscient god in control of the people for thousands of years, needed something to measure how far along you were in the game. The BC/AD calander we use didnt start til what, the 14th century?

had the Chinese made the game perhaps then they would have used animals instead of a number for each century/year. Its only there for your benefit, just asume the little people your sending to make a pasture set there calander to when christianity formed in that particular game.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

Re: Christianity founded before Christ?

Originally posted by RodLosAngeles
      On these forums, you need to try alot harder than that
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Probably should have used BCE and CE instead.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Re: Christianity founded before Christ?

Doing a pretty good job.
          While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

Well he IS from LA...
            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

The timeline is meaningless, I don't get why people are so caught up on things in their game matching the real world time. At least the game is more logical as far as techs go. In Civ1 you could research currency before mathmatics for instance.

Comment

Civilization. Is. Not. A. History. Simulator.
                "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
                "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
                Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Bill3000
                  Civilization. Is. Not. A. History. Simulator.
                  Then. Why. Does. It. Use. A. Real. World. Calendar?

Your thoughtless reply suggests that you missed the point. I don't care that events in my game are not happening at the exact time when they happened in history. Forget about real-life for a moment, and look at the letters 'BC'. Before Christ. So this game turn is taking place 400 years before the birth of Christ. But Christ has been born already - not only that, but he already has followers. My citizens are confused.

Comment

If your citizens are confused you need to whip them more.

Comment

Your thoughtless reply suggests that you missed the point. I don't care that events in my game are not happening at the exact time when they happened in history. Forget about real-life for a moment, and look at the letters 'BC'. Before Christ. So this game turn is taking place 400 years before the birth of Christ. But Christ has been born already - not only that, but he already has followers. My citizens are confused.
                      Well, as Hauptman pointed out: your citizens are calling it BC in the first place. That's pretty confusing too.

"Hey, what year is it?"
                      "2500 BC"
                      "Why do we add the BC thing to that number? Why does it count down? What happens at 0BC? What comes next?"
                      "I dunno."
                      "I'm confused."
                      "So am I."
                      "Rabble rabble rabble rabble!!!"
                      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Um, well, the easy way around this would be to change the date system to the more PC and increasingly common B.C.E.-system (Before Current Era).

Yes it's colorless. Yes it makes no real change to the dating system. Yes it's a cave-in to what Stephen Colbert calls "Reichmarschall Tolerance". But I think it's logical.

Maybe the next patch?
                        "The human race would have perished long ago if its preservation had depended only on the reasoning of its members." - Rousseau
                        "Vorwärts immer, rückwärts nimmer!" - Erich Honecker
                        "If one has good arms, one will always have good friends." - Machiavelli

Comment

Originally posted by Silver14
                          If your citizens are confused you need to whip them more.
                          Sayeth he with the Chinese dragon for an avatar.
                          "The human race would have perished long ago if its preservation had depended only on the reasoning of its members." - Rousseau
                          "Vorwärts immer, rückwärts nimmer!" - Erich Honecker
                          "If one has good arms, one will always have good friends." - Machiavelli

Comment

Or perhaps just use the generic "Turn n" or "Year n"
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Generic year name?!

Originally posted by LordShiva
                              "Rabble rabble rabble rabble!!!"
                              Last edited by Axxaer; January 13, 2006, 09:09.
                              "You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
                              Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

Working...
                              X