Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re: Re: Continent Maps - An Analysis

Originally posted by Modo44
    So, the original script was based on some assumptions that became false now, and it craps out. I hope you will get green light to fix it.
    Yes it will be fixed. I got a response from Soren in another thread about the problem.

Comment

Custom Continents isn't perfect for splitting the civs evenly between continents. I was very disappointed recently after starting a 3 civ game, with the 1 continent per civ setting - I had an excellent start, but then ran into Napoleon after a few turns...turns out that there were two small continents and one long one (which is common with 3 continents on Custom Continents), and I shared the long one with Napoleon...one was uninhabited and exploited heavily by the eventual winner.

Comment

Originally posted by Badtz Maru
        Custom Continents ... with the 1 continent per civ setting
        One Per Team setting? I'll look in to it.

- Sirian

Comment

Originally posted by Badtz Maru
          Custom Continents isn't perfect for splitting the civs evenly between continents.
          For "One Per Team" setting, it is supposed to be.

You were right, I found a bug. It only impacts games with 3 or 5 teams, One Per Team continent setting.

Start location regions were going out of synch with continental location regions on 50% of games started with this combination of settings. No other settings were affected. I believe I've fixed this bug now, but it would not hurt to have some volunteers run some games on One Per Team (3 or 5 teams, but other numbers of teams too) to be 100% sure it's both fixed and no new bugs introduced.

- Sirian
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Sirian
            both fixed
            (no I didn't read the rest of the post)
            "You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
            Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

So nobody has grabbed the patched file as yet?

Comment

I downloaded it, but whether and when I'll find time for Civ4 in the near future, I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirian
                  So nobody has grabbed the patched file as yet?
                  So while your here, I have a question for you. You mentioned the STARTING_DISTANCE_PERCENT was the amount the base factor was increased for different maps. But which map size is the default minimum 10 tiles for? I presume Duel, then it goes up 12% each time after that?

Comment

So long as it is the next patch, it ain't that big of a deal for me...
                    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Willem
                      So while your here, I have a question for you. You mentioned the STARTING_DISTANCE_PERCENT was the amount the base factor was increased for different maps. But which map size is the default minimum 10 tiles for? I presume Duel, then it goes up 12% each time after that?
                      I don't remember the exact formula off hand. You can find it for yourself once the SDK comes out.

- Sirian

Comment

fwiw- i have played 4 games in custom with largest map & 2 continents. 3 of them put me on a continent by myself. wich imo, makes it impossible for the ai to win unless you have very few/no strategic rescourcers - wich happened on one map. a whole continent without coal & al.

Comment

"Continents" in my view should have at least 2 inhabited landmasses.

7 civs on one landmass plus a barbarian island does not fit my idea of "Continents"; if I wanted that I would have choosen Pangea.

I really wish there was a standard map setting that would guarantee at least 2 continents, of which at least 2 should have at least 2 civs.

So it would be:

* mandatory continent 1: at least two civs, and possibly more (random)

* mandatory continent 2: at least two civs, and possibly more (random)

* possible additional continents (random)
                          Last edited by Gherald; January 31, 2006, 00:03.

Comment

bottom line, any land mass worthy of being called a continent should have at least 2 civs on it.

Comment

Five minutes after I made the OP (nearly three weeks ago) my internet connection died, and I've been offline ever since. I've finally had to start up a dialup account (gasp) as Wanadoo (= Pile o' Poo) screwed up an 8 Meg line upgrade, couldn't fix it or put me back to anything faster than 0 Meg, and it'll take WEEKS to even release the line to start up with a new ISP - which is what I'm having to do.

So avoid Wanadoo, to anybody in Europe that might be unlucky enough to fall into their incompetent clutches, and be wary of LLU (Local Loop Unbundling) technology, and if your ISP offers you an 8M ADSL upgrade, be prepared for disappointment and major downtime if it doesn't work.

On Topic :

It's been great to read the discussion, and I'm pleased to see that the work was worth it.

The duplicate maps 1 & 4 might be down to a testing error, as I do recall getting confused with some filenames at one point, and I might have overwritten something. So that could be my fault and not a seed problem.

I agree with those who are suggesting that enhancements to the map rolling options along the lines of these discussions would be a great Exp Pack feature.

btw - OCC on a hub map rocks!!

Comment

Sirian, I downloaded that custom continents patch and will try it out soon. Thanks for posting it.

Comment

Working...
                                X