Diplomatic Victory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dat very true
    I always like the race when you're playing continents to make sure you've eliminated or already at war with everyone on your continent before those caravals show up from the other so you don't get any "you declared war on our friend" diplo minuses.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

A diplo victory is very simple if you follow these tips:

*Don't invest in any religion. Reject that superstitious crap!
      *If you have a religion, spread the wealth! Open borders build as many missionaries as possible! (Not a better choice, but good if you want a split diplomatic/religious victory).
      *REX as much as possible! Land is power! Don't let any strategic resource go unworked!
      *Give in to demands! Make your rivals as happy at you as possible!
      *Elimate the black sheep! Take out the one that will reject or (gasp) defy your resolutions! When asked to go to war against the black sheep, accept it and take him/her out!

I'm sure there are others, but if you follow those, you will have a lot of happy allies that will vote for you.
      My identity is of no consequence save for the epitath of your grave.

Comment

One of the interesting things I found was through looking at the Civs profiles. I'm kind of a historian in a way, and so I starting browsing though every Civ's biography and noticed that the Civs had a favorite civic. Judging from my game play ("you have chosen your civics well" description) and from other players accounts, choosing their favorite civics as their own (ex: Roosevelt-Universal Suffrage, Saladin-Theocracy, and Genghis Khan-Police State), can have a boost in the relationships and add the the chances of winning a diplomatic victory...

And of course...though I do admire Civilization IV putting the UN system, it is systematically poor. It should base it off on things in present, such as equal voting rights and a refusal of a resolution even when it is passed (which could lead into consequences such as economic sanctions or isolation). Also, it could be best if the creators focused more on the original intention of the real UN, such as maintaining and building on to peace.
        What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy? (Mahatma Gandhi)

Comment

109,287 views!? :wtf:

Must be a glitch.
          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Well, welcome Guild3Master!

You can defy a resolution (albeit you wont know if it would pass, if you didnt defy it beforehand - so it´s kind of a gambit) and there is consequences - unhappy citizens. I dont know the details on how long and how many though. Defying AP-resoultions will only affect cities with the AP-religion.

Going a bit off topic: The worst thing in Civ-diplo just happened to me a couple of minutes ago - once again. Okay, so i was building away happily and was at rather good relations with all of my neighbors. What happens, when your neighbors like you and you dont build much military? Someone from the other end of the globe comes for you. If it happens in like the 20th century, or when someone is really close to winning the game - fine. But it was the 13th century and while i was in the lead scorewise, it was only by a small margin and i was nowhere near winning in any way. Regardless two civs declare at me at once, and Zara is marching an unstopable stack into my territory (coming from out of one of my neighbor´s territory of course). I HATE THAT. If it was a neighbor, sneak attacking me, because i sat there with my pants down - okay, my fault. Or if there was clear indication, some sort of clear warning, by those civs - maybe a demand (if they were less frequent and rediculous, maybe i´d take them serious sometimes at least) or something. But no - they have planned for at least a century to attack someone around the globe, because he leads in points.

IMHO the AI should decide on war in a ´positive´ way - like in: what´s in there for me. Not out of pure envy. Had Zara taken any of my cities (which he would, had i not quit the game), they would have been engulfed with 3rd party culture and only cost him maintainance big time. There was not much to gain for him, by attacking me - even winning the war would have weakened him compared to the others probably. It´s not good diplomatic modeling, if one AI sacrifices itself for the others or even the general game balance. Only very late in the game, the AI should resort to such desperate moves.

Comment

Indeed, because I always tend to "over synthesize" in improvements and buildings and cities that it leads me wide open for a direct attack. And of course, in some way it is like a synthesis of the real world in your exp: in essence eventually a supposed ally would attack a country by exploiting its military weakness, or the element of surprise in the case of Japan launching a daring (and regrettable move) by the Japanese Empire in the attack of Pearl Harbor.
              What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy? (Mahatma Gandhi)

Comment

No, what i mean is more like Germany attacking china through russian lands during the middle ages (or somesuch), because they are thinking: ´By 2000 AD, they will have more than a billion people - we cant have that´. I have no issue with Russia doing it, if china didnt arm at all.

Comment

i might be writing this a lil bit late but thats cuz i have JUST discovered this place here. so, civ4 is so likely REALISTIC that, thats why diplomatic victories r kinda impossible. now think in our real world. do you know ANY country which has totaly a high international respect? it is impossible in international relations to have such things, the total respect... because in each move u make, it is always referred to your benefits. there is always some benefit of urs at the stake. and THAT d always mean that it is against to some other one's. so, u cant expect to have a diplomatic victory so easily. maybe 1 in 1000 times...

Comment

As to long range attacks, how about the Vikings on Sicily. Or the Mongols on Europe. Doing it because they can, because you are too weak to stop them. Slightly later miltarily and financially strong Britain invades India, because they can. It did happen.
                    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

I find that if you're powerful enough to get a diplomatic victory then you're damn close to getting a domination victory so you might as well take chance out of the equation and just go for a domination victory.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

If you control the UN, you can avoud a vote on the winner by choosing other resolutions. The fact that you are in control indicates that you would probably win. However, if you are not the UN controller, then the victory vote may happen. You need to be sure the guy who beat you to Secretary General doesn't end up stealing your victory out from under you.
                        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit View Post
                          the nations voting against you are either ones loving your opponent of just favoring him because they hate you. the only thing you can do in such cases is conquering them, if you think that declaring war won't spoil your relationships with the nations that are currently on your side
                          Most of the time my only friends are my vassal states.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Around the middle of the game that is usually the state of my diplo relations also.
                            But to make it worse, I play with the no vassal option checked.
                            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

If you want to be loved in this game, plan on losing.

Comment

I don't know. If you listen to slnz, he's so good at the diplo side that he could probably keep a civ friendly with him, while he's attacking him.
                                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X