Geeky Complaint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
    A great complaint! More descriptions of technologies, buildings, great people, wonders, etc, would definetly aid in the immersion factor. I loved those things in prior Civs!
    Same here.
    RIAA sucks
    The Optimistas
    I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

I don't mind the lack of historical background in the game. If I am interested, I can always google or Wiki it.

Comment

a very nice complaint, but this has a hidden bonus, it tricked him into reading and he enjoyed it =)

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
          I don't mind the lack of historical background in the game. If I am interested, I can always google or Wiki it.
          Kinda hard to do that when all your time on the computer is spent playing or foruming. I'm not going to quit the game just to look up a little blurb on the great prophet someone got :P

No, small portions of in-game history not only adds flavor to the game but adds another argument for game makers against the parents who think its all about death and violence.
          ~I like eggs.~

Comment

I remember the Civ1 tech screen, with 1 screen containing a scientist and loads of info, the next one showing the effects ingame IIRC. That was really something, I learnt so much from that! I often used more time reading those screens than I used for playing the game...!
            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by xxFlukexx
              Mausoleum for some no-name persian king is the 7th wonder, and I believe that was turned into a castle by some crusader punks.
              Can you confirm this is a joke please?
              www.neo-geo.com

Comment

It´s nice to know that so many learn so much from Civ. But in Europe we have something called schools to teach children those things...

Yeah, I know it´s cheap shot, but I couldn´t resist it...
                I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

sc-hools?

Wha that?

I think this sort of request would really have major benefits in the special religious buildings and great people who people in the West may not know very well. Their accomplishments and greatness in real life would add to the sense of wonder of the game. At least, IMO.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                    sc-hools?

Wha that?
                    They´re like Hogwarts, but without the magic, dragons and monsters in the basement.
                    I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Hogwarts never had any dragons, dude.

Comment

I guess Norbert doesn't count?

And this is my contribution to Apolyton this month....

Comment

We should petition to make Civ a school curriculum required for graduation.

"Students must have attained at least a domination Victory at the Noble difficulty in Civ, in order to be qualified for even taking the SAT"

Comment

Have to agree with the gripers here. Its funny how Civ has moved from a history buffs game to a gamers game. From the long descriptions of the wonders and technologies, sure they got old the 459034690th time you played the game, but it was nice. Its easy to say to wiki something when it comes up, but given the lack of stability of the game, I'm generally petrified to have another program running when I play. I have to confess probably 60% of the great people are totally foreign to me, and I couldn't have named the Hindu, Taoist or Confucian shrines before I played, and I consider myself reasonably well educated.

This is by far the game with the most depth, and though I do have some quibbles (particularly about Civ choices) I like it a lot. What I don't like is that its lost a lot of the feel of history playing out that old Civ's had. It feels a lot more like a video game this time around. (In fairness, I suck having managed exactly one Noble win so far, so that may be coloring my perceptions.

Comment

Originally posted by Leezell
                              I guess Norbert doesn't count?
                              And this is my contribution to Apolyton this month....
                              I thusly stand corrected.

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma_Nova
                                Ummmm, 4 dragons in the Goblet of Fire.

You now stand even more corrected.

ACK!
                                Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Working...
                                X