Geeky Complaint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geeky Complaint

I love the game, but I have one geeky complaint.

The Civ games have taught me so much...probably more than high school taught me.

I had never heard of Copernicus until I built his observatory. I read Sun Tzu's Art of War because I built Sun Tzu's War Academy. The crusades? Sure Europeans sent children to die in war (because God wouldn't let kids die), but King Richard's Crusade gave an extra shield to every tile!

Civ 2 had great descriptions for everything, and I learned so much from them! Civ 3 wasn't bad either, but the explanations were completely eliminated from Civ 4! Now we get cheesy little videos of wonders being built.

The game is great, but tough break for the kids who are meeting the Civ games for the first time. I'll be beating them in the history category on Jeopardy!
    Last edited by Schlim; January 3, 2006, 19:22.
    http://www.LoseButWin.com

Yep.. Civ was (and is) a source of influence and education (and they all know it too well.)

The next time Tycho Brahe is born in Timbuktu, I want to KNOW about tycho... fetch some info from wikipedia.. not the penny-arcade link.. but the real artist.
    The next time a steam engine is invented, I want to know a bit about the invention itself, the timeframe and application.. that was what the old civs were about .. and civ4 could be it as well.. civ4wiki!

Comment

Not geeky enough. Title should just be 'Complaint'.

Comment

Besides, everybody posting here are geeks, so you are amongst friends. 'Geek' being another word for 'intellectual'.

Comment

or no-lifers.
          RIAA sucks
          The Optimistas
          I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Had it not been for Sid's Civilization. I still wouldnt know the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World.

But now, its like ingrained knowledge that i could never forget. heck i can even name the cities they were built in!

oracle of delphi
            colosas of rhodes
            greatwall of china (ok everyone knows that one)
            pyramids of giza
            hanging gardens of babylon
            ummmm.... ok 5 out of 7 aint to horrible. better than my neighbor i bet!~ And i owe it all to Civ.
            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

Actually, the Great Wall of China was not considered one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, as it wasn't known to the makers of the list.
              The (self-proclaimed) King of Parenthetical Comments.

Comment

Neither was the oracle... (on the list, that is)
                "You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
                Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

Ya great wall of china is a wonder but not of the ancient world. Usually people forget the Statue of Zeus and the Temple of Artemis because they were destroyed (and people say razing cities is not realistic, pfft)

I don't think the Oracle at Delphi is one of the 7 wonders of the ancient world, it is well known, but not really all that impressive. Great wall doesn't count either because it took I dunno 2000 years or something to make, each dynasty built a few layers.

Mausoleum for some no-name persian king is the 7th wonder, and I believe that was turned into a castle by some crusader punks.

Civilopedia has all the background for all the wonders and leaders and civilizations and stuff, it just doesn't appear in the pop-up boxes, that's all. Civ2 wonder movies were great, but people see to exagerate on what they were, they were very short movies, actually if you think about it the Civ4 movies make more sense in that you are building the wonder in the game.

I would like to know more about the great people though, just a sentence or two, I dunno who half of the guys are.

Comment

"Imhotep has been born in...."

The mummy?

See we need the pop ups!~
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?...So with that said: if you can not read my post because of spelling, then who is really the stupid one?...

Comment

*makes sure he has his pocket protector on and pushes his scotch tape glasses up with his fingers* There, now that's a geeky comment

Comment

Imhotep died when he was 19!

Imhotep (fl. 2667 - 2648 BC)

Imhotep was chief architect to the Third Dynasty King Djoser (2687-2668 BC). He is the first master architect we know by name, and was in charge of building the original step pyramid at Saqqara. This pyramid also set a precedent by including a collection of temples, pavilions, corridors, chapels and halls within the enclosure walls.

A commoner by birth, Imhotemp's intelligence and determination enabled him to rise through the ranks to become one of the king's most trusted advisors. He eventually held the offices of High Priest of Heliopolis and Lector Priest, making him a very powerful and influential man whose name is given the great honour of being inscribed on the base of one of the statues of King Djoser.

Imhotep's influence lived on well after his death. In the New Kingdom he was venerated as the patron of scribes, personifying wisdom and education. In the 'Turin Papyri' from this period he is also described as the son of Ptah, chief god of Memphis, in recognition of his role as a wise councillor.

During the Late Period his veneration extended to deification and he became a local god at Memphis where he was glorified for his skills as a physician and a healer. He is said to have extracted medicine from plants and treated diseases such as appendicitis, gout and arthritis. At Memphis he was served by his own priesthood and he was considered to be an intermediary between men and the gods. It was believed that he could help people solve difficulties in their daily lives and cure medical problems.

When the Greeks conquered Egypt they recognised in him attributes of their medicine god Asclepius, and continued to build temples to him. His reputation lasted until the Arab invasion of North Africa in the 7th century AD.

His tomb has never been found but he is thought to have served under four kings and lived until the end of the third dynasty (2649 BC).

Today his colourful and charismatic legend lives on in many fictional stories, including the highly successful films The Mummy and The Mummy Returns.
                        Find out more about Imhotep the Egyptian architect of the first known pyramid in Sakkara.
                        http://www.LoseButWin.com

Comment

I too would like long detailed explanations for every item, name, and quirk in the game

With the payroll this game creates it should be childs play to add a 3-man team of writers and another part-time XML coder to add it into the game!
                          ~I like eggs.~

Comment

A great complaint! More descriptions of technologies, buildings, great people, wonders, etc, would definetly aid in the immersion factor. I loved those things in prior Civs!
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

seven wonders, listend chronologically...

The Great Pyramid of Giza: The Hanging Gardens of Babylon: The Statue of Zeus at Olympia: The Temple of Artemis at Ephesus: The Mausoleum at Halicarnassus: The Colossus of Rhodes: The Lighthouse of Alexandria:
                              i have visited you game site, please visit mine....

www.playnet.com

Comment

Working...
                              X