Documentary: "Yin Eating Cardboard"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Documentary: "Yin Eating Cardboard"

On October 7th of this year "Yin26", a long-time "on" and "off" poster on Apolyton Civilization Site`s (ACS) forums and strategy gamer, stated on-site that:

If I[nfinite] C[ity] S[prawl] isn't still the dominant strategy in CivIV, then I'll eat (at least part) of the cardboard box! And if combat isn't as dull as ever, I'll eat more parts!
    Less than a month later, a Civ community fundraising effort on ACS began and ended successfully that saw he and one other receive a paid-for copy of the game.

On December 22nd, Yin26 confirmed that a video of him eating this branded cardboard had been shot and was in post-production. Not long after, he elaboarated somewhat in saying that it was filmed with a friend over a period of several hours.

The completed production was submitted to the ACS administration earlier today. It is a 11 1/2 minute documentary entitled "Yin Eating Cardboard", and is now being exclusively released and hosted by ACS. It is available in both MOV and AVI formats:

http://apolyton.net/download/civ4/vstagesciviv.mov (65.5MB)
    http://apolyton.net/download/civ4/vstagesciviv.avi (95.5MB)
    http://apolyton.net/download/civ4/vstagesciviv.zip (zipped avi, 85.7MB)

Yin26 himself provides the following background and description for this movie:

Swiss-born psychiatrist Dr. Elsabeth Kubler-Ross has documented "The 5 Stages of Grief" that human beings often go through when confronted with tragedy.

In this movie, Yin undergoes The V Stages of CivIV after realizing that his bet against [developer] Firaxis [Games] is looking bad (very bad) for him. And for anybody who wonders why it was so hard for Yin to eat his "dinner," let's just say that cardboard on a very cold English muffin makes the most horrid sensation in the back of the throat.

Congratulations to the Firaxis team and its horde of talented beta testers on a job well done!
    A few days ago, Yin made an additional comment on this work.

Let's just say the last scene uses no special effects to create the, ummm, uncomfortable feeling you might get watching.
    Either QuickTime or VLC Media Player needs to be installed on one's computer in order to watch the MOV version. DivX Player is recommended for the AVI version. Note that some language may offend some viewers.

-------
    Dan; Apolyton CS
    Last edited by MarkG; December 29, 2005, 07:28.
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Oh goodie, the next block buster

Looks like Yin wouldn't betray a reputation of original solid production even for cardboard eating activities
    Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

You're a sport, Yin.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

What a waste of a perfectly good cardboard box

Yin: How much time did you spend planning this shooting? (Obviously you do have some time )

Comment

Originally posted by Trifna
          Oh goodie, the next block buster

Looks like Yin wouldn't betray a reputation of original solid production even for cardboard eating activities
          The credit for production values goes to my friend, "Cav," whose name appears all over the end of the movie. The music choices were all his own, though I did campaign for the Civ song that plays a few times. Overall, it was fun given the few hours we had. I never expected to choke so much on that darn thing, though. Sub freezing weather and nothing to drink didn't help!

Originally posted by notyoueither
          You're a sport, Yin.
          Thanks. Well, the great thing is that Firaxis made several serious improvements to the game! No more bets from me, though.
          I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeje2

What a waste of a perfectly good cardboard box

Yin: How much time did you spend planning this shooting? (Obviously you do have some time )
            Well, that cardboard is now one with nature. My friend and I talked about this a bit here and there over the past weeks. Once he got to town, though, there wasn't much time to think. A great deal of footage had to be cut to make it have good pacing. The last scene, though, we just had to let, ummm, speak for itself.

Indeed, I feel pretty silly about the whole thing. But a bet's a bet!
            I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

thats a phat pipe apolyton has.

500kb/sec download on the avi.

Comment

Bravo Yin. Now what silly bet could we think of?
                Clash of Civilization team member
                (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

A bet is a bet, you're right. Good on you for going through with it!

Made for some entertaining watching. At your expense, of course.

Hats off to Firaxis, for killing the ICS

Comment

ROFL! Thats a funny movie! The look on your face is beyond words.

Thanks, Yin, for a good laugh and hats off to you!

Best regards

Firebird

Comment

I gotta wait until next Monday to see this.

56k dialup at home vs hi-speed DSL at work...
                      Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
                      ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

You are true star, true hero, Yin!

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                          You're a sport, Yin.
                          Indeed. Yin, you certainly have guts!
                          RIAA sucks
                          The Optimistas
                          I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Originally posted by Aro

Indeed. Yin, you certainly have guts!
                            at least before he ate the box..
                            While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

Dan, the links at the end of the OP are borked. You might want to correct that...
                              I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Working...
                              X