Marathon versus Ephic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dauphin

The scaling would have to be just right, or all you do is lengthen the early game and the later game less so.

This is because your empire will be more mature (more city improvements, number of cities, tile improvements etc) by the time you get to certain tech levels, and a more mature empire will take less time to research a tech. So tripling all tech costs may triple research times in the ancient era, but only double it in the medieval/industrial, and only increase by half in the modern era.

Tech cost scaling needs to be more exponential than linear is my point I suppose.
    The scaling in the game I've been playing is super. Even with a rather huge civilization, with many top sized cities, I'm in the pre-industrial age and the advances still take 20-30 turns to research. I've got time to build an entire army of musketmen and have a war with them before I research grenadiers and riflemen, which are only a few advances apart. It's been very good scaling all the way back since the start of the game also. I'm just hoping it will continue to be this good up until the modern age.
    It's what you learn after you think you know everything, that counts.

Comment

Originally posted by zurichuk
      Nice, I just started my first game last night, and after a long time I still haven't researched Iron Working
      This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

im playing a pangea 18 civ marathon and at 1100ad on noble finding myself a tad ahead in techs (i disable tech trading as it feels more natural rather than abusing the alphabet rush, and then being abused by the ai come 1800 etc techs)

ahead being military tradition and muskeers, i think they have longbow but i don't know if they even have macemen yet, only taken on 3 civs in wars so far to expand my development but rush buying with slavery is insanely powerful in marathon, build times saying 100 turns ... wait 20 then rush buy it etc. 1 more university to go then i can double my capitals research and power through the tech tree some more.

i also find if you have any military advantage you can press it very quickly with things like draft and slavery rush buy etc.

will see how the rest of the game pans out

Comment

Originally posted by Deathmerchant

The scaling in the game I've been playing is super. Even with a rather huge civilization, with many top sized cities, I'm in the pre-industrial age and the advances still take 20-30 turns to research. I've got time to build an entire army of musketmen and have a war with them before I research grenadiers and riflemen, which are only a few advances apart. It's been very good scaling all the way back since the start of the game also. I'm just hoping it will continue to be this good up until the modern age.
          Oh, yeah the scaling is great. I was making comment to those who understandably want cheaper building, improvements and units rather them being scaled up in cost too.
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
          X