Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marathon versus Ephic

Which are the difference bettewen these two speeds thanks

Techs are more expensive and you will spend more turns researching, building times are bigger and games are longer in Marathon games. The main goal is allow the player to play along with new units... You can start a war with Macemen and, ten turns later, Macemen still the ultimate unit. In normal games You can't. You'll have Muskets by the time you reach your target... A little annoying.
    I like Marathon games. In fact, it's almost like Civ III.
    Last edited by Aro; December 26, 2005, 21:37.
    RIAA sucks
    The Optimistas
    I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Excellent! I haven't tried the new Marathon speed, but I know what you mean about Macemen being the top unit and then Musketmen being state of the art by the time you get to the city to invade.
      "Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu

Comment

I started a Marathon game a few games ago ... I'm still researching Gunpowder

Comment

Anyone know how many turns are in a Marathon game? It's not listed in the readme.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by zurichuk

*Settles down for a very long Civ session*
              "You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
              Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

but did they fix the build time balance? having 500 turns of macemen is meaningless if it takes 400 to build them.
                it's just my opinion. can you dig it?

Comment

The Balance is great as far as I can say.

I had a 100-150 turns against my neighbor Elizabeth. It started some turns after I got the tech to build cossacks (of course I had to build enough of them first to start the war ) and ended when the last english city was destroyed.
                  During the whole war the cossacks remained my main offensive force, with no better units available and the only change being, that at the beginning of the war they fought against english pre gunpowder units (mostly longbowmen, knights and pikemen) and at the end of the war they fought against english grenadiers (as Lizzy was able to research the necessary techs during the war).

It´s de facto a great setting to play Civ IV (and is the setting which would deserve to be named epic [instead of the setting which is named epic at the moment ])
                  Oh and your games last very long, indeed. I started my current game last friday when the patch came out and I´m still busy playing it (with the year 1925 at the moment)
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

I had a prepatch mod which added 200 turns onto Epic, and made the huge world 40% bigger.

I made research 300% and decreased unit built time to 80%.

I have had a couple of nice games lasting well over a week each on Prince level.

One thing I worry about is that playing against 4 ai Civs, one is always very powerful - the nearest to me, and the first to fight me (and loose), by this time the game is not worth playing as the remaining civs are so far behind.

What would be good is for a scalable AI difficulty level that will adjust if you get too far ahead. Its annoying to play for 30 hours to discover you are halfway through the game and already won.

Is there something that can be modded to determine how many cities ai civs build, as they tend to stop expanding for no reason, allowing me to shoot past.
                    The strength and ferocity of a rhinoceros... The speed and agility of a jungle cat... the intelligence of a garden snail.

Comment

Scalable AI Difficulty was one of the things that annoyed me in earlier video games that I played: You were winning with great winningness, but then the AI gets boosted and you are only winning with slight winningness.
                      The tradeoff, being that the AI doesn't weaken when you do, is fine by me.

Comment

The idea of Scalable AI Difficulty would be to have an option to either:

Have it turned off
                        Have it set to automatic, so you dont know if it changes
                        Have a manual button which you can crank up yourself.

Thats way, everyones happy.
                        The strength and ferocity of a rhinoceros... The speed and agility of a jungle cat... the intelligence of a garden snail.

Comment

are you ****tin' me?
                          While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

Originally posted by Axxaer

*Settles down for a very long Civ session*

I envision a nice midwinter game on huge/marathon 15 civs. What more could a Civer want?

Comment

Well, look closely at where I'm from and you may notice it ain't midwinter down here...
                              "You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
                              Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

Working...
                              X