OK I am going to give up.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK I am going to give up.....

I think I have had enough of Monarchy and anything above that. The lower ones I can win but I guess above I have no chance. I have tried everything and have read all the threads here. They just do not seem to work for me no matter what I do. For the most part I chalked it up to me not wanting to micro-manage. But I have been playing this game with Cathy that I have started over and over trying all the different things I have read here and I cant seem to get it. I even micro-managed today and alas still behind. If I make money then I have no troops and if I have troops I fall behind. I am getting sick of it all!!!!! I will try to post two saves for anyone who wishes to see how I am not any good at this. The first is the last game I have played and this will be just as I have started to meet everyone as I am on a rich island. I have no troops yet, as they were not needed, but soon the losers will start to invade me. They second save is how I started, unreal start really, I have restarted this game so many times that my scout moved the same direction everytime I moved him in the hut circle as I knew where every one was. But this time I decided to move in a circle in the other direction and low and behold I got 4 techs in a row!!! Including writing just as my first worker is out! So see if you can figure out....anything???
    Attached Files
    Last edited by poiuyt00; December 24, 2005, 14:46.

the ad 1515 save is a link to a shortcut

the 3280 save looks very promising! some lovely flood plains/gold cities, and all that tech, man
    Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Yes sorry about that should be fixed now. You will be getting two scientsist in a row in 1515 also.

Comment

By getting those courthouses built in St. Petersburg, Rostov and building one in Yekateringburg you could save 14 gold. Mining those two uranium deposites and selling it to Isabella and Washington would earn another +9 with little loss. +23 gold per turn right there.

On the troops, production seems abit low. I don't think one city has a forge in which will provide a needed hammer boost. Then concentrate your best producer on churning out some riflemen when you reach rifling. A decent navy can stop an invasion happening so that would be helpful. You've another 10 free units and if you drop the slider down to 80% science, which shouldn't hurt your research too much, you could afford alot more. Finally if war does come I wouldn't be afraid to use a tech to bribe someone to join your side while you try and negotiate for peace. If you head to the space techs and get the parts built I'd say its an easy win

Comment

Well tried to play it out and got attacked by Isa and Frenchy, held them back but of course as what always happens on Monarch, I then fall behind tech wise and three civs beat me to the space race. I cannot get Modern Armor because my Island does not have Alluuuummmiiinnnuuummm!!!! This specific resource thing I never relly liked either. This is the same problem I had with Civ3 and why I ended up stop playing that game too. Early stages too easy...later stages too hard. Gave it a go, but I guess unless you micromanage every single thing in this game you will lose. I just don't have time for games that take days (Thats was Civ 2 ).

Comment

Annoying to be far away from my game with christmas

Comment

Check out a similar thread to this one:

It was very helpful for me, I'm about to go off and try some of the strategies in my present game. BTW I have been having a very similar experience as you in Monarch difficulty, I normally go along my business expanding and worrying about closing the tech gap and then an AI or two attack me. By fending them off I get farther behind and eventually lose. Utilizing the strategies in the suggested link will help my game a lot.

Good luck and Happy Holidays!
              Jerh9e1k5

Comment

I have read that and thats the thread that inspired me to do this one, because even after all that...I still don't get it. I am starting to think maybe its the starting location? Having to travel across vast ocean to meet someone and the lack of production in most cities. I grow quickly, then am trying to catch up on heath and anger, without resources all the time. Please someone either play through the start I gave or finish just make sure it isnt the start and it is my lack of skill.

off for a few days, thanks in advance.

Comment

I'll take a peek at this one as soon as our Christmas company heads out!

-=Vel=-
                  The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Awesome! Thanks Vel

Comment

I find that starts where I am alone are the hardest. Unless I concentrate on ocean exploring really early then I cannot tech trade so beelining is meaningless and I eventually fall behind too far to catch up. Try a start where your continent has 3 or 4 other civs and you should do much better. You could also try an inland sea map. They tend to have enough territory to expand on without exposing you to everyone like a great plains map does.

Comment

Question for ya!

In preparation for taking a look at the game, would you prefer that I begin with your "game start" save, or the save where you've played through to a certain point (just before meeting everyone).

I ask because you mentioned having re-started on this map a few different times. If you like, I can start at the beginning, and post some screenies of how I'd go about it, or, I can pick up where you left off in the later save.

You pick!

-=Vel=-
                        The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

I would say start at my early point. I am starting to think that it is not as good of a start as I think. The game seems to create starts for you that will dictate the game. Seeing all the gold and rivers seems good at first but then it gives you the clue that they are there because you are going to need all the help you can get. The game starts and resources seem to balance the game. I have alot of trouble covering my island without falling behind in tech, but managed to do it in the 1515 game. If I build an army to try and sail across and take someone elses land they are powerful enough to hold me off while my slow production keeps me from pouring in troops. I want to hurt the two biggest power houses (due to them being on islands) in the Americans and French (who will later fall behind due to their small island size), but they are tough by the time I get to them and have not spent any of their troops so they have tons to use. I should sail over to the crowded island but then America runs away with the game. But since I need astronomy to get to another island I can't get it soon enough to make any headway. I do not like games where I must slog through turn after turn of war so I wonder if I can even win with such a small island. sigh... I just hate thinking about this game as I have tried and retried it about 20-30 times. But I also find that I improve my process as I continue to redo a map. But this one I cant seem to find the direction I should go. This has become a bit of a ramble I am sorry.

Comment

By early point, I'm gonna assume you mean the game start, and I've just downloaded the zip. Will be back shortly!

-=Vel=-

Comment

Wow! You were sure right! Here's our starting position...this is a GREAT landmass, and quite a bit bigger than I thought. We could win the game right here, without ever even leaving this continent! Here's a screenie of our immediate surroundings for those who are following the thread and its progress:

-=Vel=-

Comment

Working...
                              X