Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mansa attacked at Pleased (and stay pleased during war)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mansa attacked at Pleased (and stay pleased during war)

I wasn kinda counting on keeping Mansa as an ally since he was one of the few leaders that was pleased with me atm. We had a common border but for some reason it didn't "spark tensions." The only negative is that I hadn't helped him at some point. We shared a religion and that didn't change. So if he was pleased why did he attack me, and if he attacked me, why did he stay pleased during the entire war? Was he taking a "hey it's just business" stance?

I think sometimes the AI will attack if your military strength is very low even if they have good relations with you. At least that's what I've heard, it's never happened to me however. In any case it pays to keep good garrisons in all your cities to deter AI attacks.

Comment

sounds like BS to me.

we don't go attacking Canada because they are weak. Though maybe we should.

Comment

Maybe another AI bribed him. Idunno.

I've been to war at people who were STILL pleased with me. I always initiated the fighting though.

Comment

+2 We care for our brothers of the faith
          +2 Our trade relations have always been fair
          +5 I like spanking you

-1 You refused to help us
          "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
          "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
          "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

You like ... what?

Comment

who doesn't like spanking Catherine? or getting spanked by her.

Comment

@ Stuie

You know, some countries have this urge to "liberate" others even if they don't want it. They just keep smiling and invade. Or maybe you have some resource he needs

Comment

I think this shouldn't happen. What's the point to keep the AI pleased/happy if they attack you anyway ? Sometimes it takes a considerable effort to convert the AI to your religion and to keep at least some of them happy.

Btw, a question that bothers me for a while: how does the AI know that your military is weak?!? If they have the same religion I understand, because they have the religious "line-of-sight" (but in this case they shouldn't attack you), but otherwise ??
                  "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
                  --George Bernard Shaw
                  A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
                  --Woody Allen

Comment

Because prgramming an AI to be ignorant of your troop strength and figure out out through means available to humans (scouting with open borders, keeping track of what units were seen and where, etc) is complicated, potentially a huge source of bugs and loopholes in the ai strategy, a mostly needless drain on processing time, and a lot of effort to put in for very little payoff. It mostly doesn't make a difference, and only the serious fanatics (like most of us who bother to post on a civ forum) will notice and/or care. Lots of nice ideas like this one get dropped from games, because programming/QA hours and system resources would be better spent on other features.

As for your other point, haven't you ever invaded a neighbor you had good relations with because you wanted his land and thought you could take it?
                    If you're not a rebel at 20 you have no heart. If you're still a rebel at 30 you have no brain.

Comment

Originally posted by gilfan
                      As for your other point, haven't you ever invaded a neighbor you had good relations with because you wanted his land and thought you could take it?
                      No, exactly because I want to have some allies for the rest of the game, not only enemies. Maybe very rarely, in the endgame, when it didn't matter anyway and I needed desperately aluminium or some other resource.
                      But in 99% of the situations, no, I haven't. Though I admit I am trying to take such cities or resources with culture flipping. Mansa Musa should do the same
                      "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
                      --George Bernard Shaw
                      A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
                      --Woody Allen

Comment

By the time you reach the endgame, you should have at least one source of Uranium - unless it's all in the New World and you dominated the old world...

Comment

The AI might attack you if you are winning. Right before a space race victory, a pleased Capac attacked me with all he had.

Comment

Re: Mansa attacked at Pleased (and stay pleased during war)

Originally posted by mgdpublic
                            I wasn kinda counting on keeping Mansa as an ally since he was one of the few leaders that was pleased with me atm. We had a common border but for some reason it didn't "spark tensions." The only negative is that I hadn't helped him at some point. We shared a religion and that didn't change. So if he was pleased why did he attack me, and if he attacked me, why did he stay pleased during the entire war? Was he taking a "hey it's just business" stance?
                            Somethimes I have noticed in my games that if an A.I player run out of space very early in the game so that they lack resourses and cannot expand, almost ANY A.I player will backstab you - even those who normaly does not do this. In fact, in thoses cases, this IS the only smart thing they can do
                            GOWIEHOWIE! Uh...does that
                            even mean anything?

Comment

As someone mentioned earlier, I've had several cases happen where a "pleased" neighbor declared war, and it appeared obvious the reason was I had neglected to build military. Loading an earlier save and building several units prevented them from declaring war again.
                              If you're not a rebel at 20 you have no heart. If you're still a rebel at 30 you have no brain.

Comment

Working...
                              X