No announcement yet.

how to use missionarys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can build Monasteries with Buddhism, and you don't need any temples to do so. They're a cheap +2 culture.
    However, building Cathedral-Level buildings requires a number of temples per Cathedral. (I think this number is 4, but it changes with game speed)

Comment

Originally posted by bonscott
      Monastaries also become obsolete after the tech Scientific Method. After that you can only build missionaries in a holy city for a religion with it's special building or if you have the organized religion civic.
      That is mistaken. Monastaries cannot be BUILT after Scientific Method. A religion's holy city cannot build missionaries without the appropriate monastary (unless using organized religion), particularly after Scientific Method.*

Get your monastaries built before they are no longer available, all that you may want, for any and all religions you have access to if you are going to be using religious freedom later on.

*My evidence is from a game after SM has been discovered; religious freedom is being used, not organized religion. I only built one monastary, outside the holy city and wish I had built more.

Mods used: Random Events mod, A Proper Score Graph mod
      Last edited by Jaybe; December 11, 2005, 23:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
        Every time I see that word I think of sex. They really should have used a different word for that position.
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe

That is mistaken. Monastaries cannot be BUILT after Scientific Method. A religion's holy city cannot build missionaries without the appropriate monastary (unless using organized religion), particularly after Scientific Method.*

Get your monastaries built before they are no longer available, all that you may want, for any and all religions you have access to if you are going to be using religious freedom later on.

*My evidence is from a game after SM has been discovered; religious freedom is being used, not organized religion. I only built one monastary, outside the holy city and wish I had built more.

Mods used: Random Events mod, Better Score Graph mod
          Yep, no more monasteries after Scientific Method. The cities that already have a monastery can build missionaries even after Scientific Method.

For that reason, I build monasteries before I build temples. They are cheaper to build than temples, and increase science a little. The advantage of temples is that it requires several of them to build a "cathedral" or the religion's equivalent to one. I haven't yet figured out whether or not the effect of monasteries disappear after Scientific Method (the ability to build missionaries does not disappear). I suspect it does, but haven't bothered to check it. However, since I beeline to Liberalism when I'm near it, a lot of monasteries helps me to create missionaries, who are really useful in building up culture in new cities, especially with Religious Freedom.

Comment

didn't mean to make a new post (deleted)

Comment

Hey, does anybody know why missionaries sometimes fail to spread religion? I had that happen to me for the first time last night, and in my own cities, too.
              Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
              Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
              One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Re: how to use missionarys?

Originally posted by Maidel
                Im having a few issues with missionarys and im just wondering how to get the best out of them.
                The *best* use of them is to build a horde of them early when you have a holy city and get open borders with all your neighbors and Send In the Jesuits, so to speak.

The "same religion" relations bonus is not to be underestimated.

Comment

Lord A, the main reason missionaries fail is that there are already religions in that city. The more there are, the more chance of failure.

Comment

Havenduuk: Yes, I like this strategy. It's always fun to have your Bloc right behind you as you take out the enemy holy cities one-by-one.
                    With a little bribery and missionaires, you can convert someone in your Bloc to a different religion, and when the rest of your bloc doesn't like them any more GO GO ATTACK TEAM.
                    Another useful strategem is to build 2 bases behind enemy lines of 2 different Civs, and gift these bases to the opposite civs.
                    Much conflict ensues.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommar
                      For that reason, I build monasteries before I build temples. They are cheaper to build than temples, and increase science a little.
                      I do that too. Quick culture boost. Of course, the Stonehenge is great, particularly if you are Creative.

Originally posted by Tommar
                      The advantage of temples is that it requires several of them to build a "cathedral" or the religion's equivalent to one. I haven't yet figured out whether or not the effect of monasteries disappear after Scientific Method (the ability to build missionaries does not disappear).
                      It loses its other abilities other than adding to culture.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma_Nova
                        Another useful strategem is to build 2 bases behind enemy lines of 2 different Civs, and gift these bases to the opposite civs.
                        Much conflict ensues.
                        I love it...
                        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Working...
                        X