how to use missionarys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to use missionarys?

Im having a few issues with missionarys and im just wondering how to get the best out of them.

Firstly - can you ever build more than one type of missionary? Ive had a city with 3 monestarys, but I can only seem to build the missionary for the state religeon, and then when I change to no state religion I cant build any missionarys at all.

Am I doing something wrong here?

The impression that I get is that there is absolutely no point in building monestarys at all because if you are in a position to want to build missonarys to spread your religion you will probably be using the civic which allows you to build them in any city with that religion (sorry the name has gone right out of my head.)

Can anyone help me, correct me, or fill in the blanks for. Thanks.

You can only build missionarys in cities with a monastry for that particular religion.

Except if you have a certain civic (I forget which one) which allows you to build missionarys as long as the religion has spread to that city.

Either way...

You can have a maximum of 3 missionarys for each religion at any one time.

This includes ones which are already qued or being built.

So make sure you build them closest to where they are needed. And if you use up one or two, you can change build orders in the same turn to bring in replacements to the next turn
    The strength and ferocity of a rhinoceros... The speed and agility of a jungle cat... the intelligence of a garden snail.

Comment

But which religeous civic will allow me to build missionarys from other religeons appart from my state religeon?

Comment

The civic that allows to build missionaries without monasteries is organised religion.

In v1.00 (didn't patch yet), under any civic, you can build missionaries of other religions than your state-religion, if a relevant monastery is present in the city, and if fewer than 3 missionaries of that religion are currently serving or being produced/queued. Under the organized religion civic, you don't need a monastery, but you still require the presence of that religion in the city.
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

How very odd

I cant seem to build missionaries for any religeon accept the state religeon in any civic...

must be just me then.

Comment

Monastaries are also cheaper than temples for non-spiritual civs.. so for double culture and 10% science boost they're very good to build.
            ~I like eggs.~

Comment

#ERROR:
              Babelfish limit exceeded in Post # 1
              Reinstall English Literacy

Comment

It was perfectly readable. Grow up.
                Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

You need to have a religion already in a city to build that missionary.

Other than that, as long as you have less than 3 on the map or being built, dont know what the problem is.
                  The strength and ferocity of a rhinoceros... The speed and agility of a jungle cat... the intelligence of a garden snail.

Comment

#ERROR:
                    Babelfish limit exceeded in Post # 1
                    Reinstall English Literacy

LMAO
                    I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

In one game my capital had four monasteries and could build four different kinds of missionaries, and I built lots of everything to spread all four religions to all of my cities. You just can't have more than three missionaries at a time, I think it is. Check your domestic screen to see how many you're building and your military screen to see how many you have. I expect you simply temporarily have all you can have at one time.

Comment

3 Missionaries per Religion per Civilization.

Comment

Every time I see that word I think of sex. They really should have used a different word for that position.

Comment

Monastaries also become obsolete after the tech Scientific Method. After that you can only build missionaries in a holy city for a religion with it's special building or if you have the organized religion civic.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                              Every time I see that word I think of sex. They really should have used a different word for that position.
                              Actually, "missionary position" comes from missionaries telling the natives they should do it facing each other, man on top, as opposed to doggy style - i.e., like animals.

Back on topic, I use missionaries to spread different relgions to my other cities, especially those that are in close proximity to other civs. With a number of religions in a city, you can build different temples, which are a cheap way to boost culture, which strenthens your borders, pushing them out which could deny squares to an enemy city - even to the point where an enemy city might revolt and become yours. Then after temples you can build more than one monastery, if you wish. Getting more culture and a little bit of science.

Also, temples, available before theater, are a cheap way to gain culture to push out the radius of new cities to the full two squares and gain access to those resources not adjacent to the city.
                              Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                              Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                              One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Working...
                              X