• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yay for history!
    Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Franklinnoble

You should care. That's the date the Yanks decided to enter the war.

Otherwise, you might be speaking German at the moment.
      I wish I were. Damn hard language.

Besides: Greater Finland 4evah!
      I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

It would be cool if Hitler unified Europe then died somehow. Perhaps with a standardised language, the Europeans would have an easier time finding players for video games!

Comment

Is Pearl Harbour a really (REALLY) big thing in the US? Our 300-odd page history text book has less than half a page about it and doesn't really claim it to be a significant part of the war as a whole, although I'm sure it was significant to the American war role.
          "You are one of the cheerleaders for this wasting of time and the wasting of lives. Do you feel any remorse for having contributed to this "culture of death?" Of course not. Hey, let's all play MORE games, and ignore all the really productive things to do with our lives.
          Let's pretend to be shocked that a gamer might descend into deeper depression, as his gamer "buds," knowing he was killing himself, couldn't figure out how to call 911 themselves for him. That would have involved leaving their computers I guess."

- Jack Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma_Nova
            It would be cool if Hitler unified Europe then died somehow. Perhaps with a standardised language, the Europeans would have an easier time finding players for video games!
            There already is a standarized language; it's called English.
            "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
            "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
            Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Axxaer
              Is Pearl Harbour a really (REALLY) big thing in the US? Our 300-odd page history text book has less than half a page about it and doesn't really claim it to be a significant part of the war as a whole, although I'm sure it was significant to the American war role.
              Not sure if it's a big deal but it is recognized every year, just like D-Day. Oddly enough those two days are rememberd far more frequently than V-E day or V-J day.
              "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Ben Franklin

Comment

Hiya!
                Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Originally posted by clarkcd

Not sure if it's a big deal but it is recognized every year, just like D-Day. Oddly enough those two days are rememberd far more frequently than V-E day or V-J day.
                  What days? Please, can you write in standard English? What does VE and VJ stand for?
                  Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                  Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai

What days? Please, can you write in standard English? What does VE and VJ stand for?
                    VE = Victory in Europe (May 8, 1945)
                    VJ = Victory over Japan (August 15, 1945)

I had to look up both, while Pearl Harbor Day and D-Day I have committed to memory.

Comment

Thanks.
                      I think I've seen the first one used once, but only on the Internet. We civilized people don't try to confuse each other with silly abbravations.
                      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

BRB, AFK LOL. CBF, TBH, AFAIK. SP FDR FTW! WTF OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma_Nova
                          BRB, AFK LOL. CBF, TBH, AFAIK. SP FDR FTW! WTF OK.
                          OK isn't really an abbreviation.
                          If you, or anybody, can tell me what O.K. stands
                          for I'll be greatly impressed and erect a statue
                          in your honor.

And "Okay" doesn't count, that's just OK spelled
                          phonetically-ish.
                          "Would you people please try to remember that I am EVIL !?"
                          - Spike

Comment

OK is a quintessentially American term that has spread from English to many other languages. Its origin was the subject of scholarly debate for many years until Allen Walker Read showed that OK is based on a joke of sorts. OK is first recorded in 1839 but was probably in circulation before that date. During the 1830s there was a humoristic fashion in Boston newspapers to reduce a phrase to initials and supply an explanation in parentheses. Sometimes the abbreviations were misspelled to add to the humor. OK was used in March 1839 as an abbreviation for all correct, the joke being that neither the O nor the K was correct. Originally spelled with periods, this term outlived most similar abbreviations owing to its use in President Martin Van Buren's 1840 campaign for reelection. Because he was born in Kinderhook, New York, Van Buren was nicknamed Old Kinderhook, and the abbreviation proved eminently suitable for political slogans. That same year, an editorial referring to the receipt of a pin with the slogan O.K. had this comment: “frightful letters … significant of the birth-place of Martin Van Buren, old Kinderhook, as also the rallying word of the Democracy of the late election, ‘all correct’ .... Those who wear them should bear in mind that it will require their most strenuous exertions … to make all things O.K.”
                            How's that?

Everything can be googled.

Bh

Comment

You'd say that after Pearl Harbor the yansk would prefer planes that can't sink ships
                              Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                              Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

64 years already? That places pearl harbor in '41. Would have sworn it was a bit later. I thought the US didn't get involved in the war until well into '42 or something. But perhaps it was different in Japan.\

Anyway, Pearl Harbor was an important event in the war of course. From an European point of view however, there are about half a dozen more important moments

Comment

Working...
                                X