Something funny happened

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Franklinnoble
    Well, your system certainly exceeds the minimum specs.

Maybe this game has issues with the AMD 64 processors? Has anyone done a study on this?

My system is slower - but I don't think I've ever had a CDT... but I'm on a T42 thinkpad with an Intel Centrino processor...
    I have an Athlon 64 and I have yet to report my first crash... :fingers crossed:

Rest of the specs:

nVidia 6600
    ATI A8N-E Mobo
    1Gb RAM
    Lots of HD Space
    Get your science News at Konquest Online!

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus

I certainly switched off Mr "I got Pig Iron! I got Pig Iron!" Nimoy. I like the Wonder movies, though.
      Yeah that quote was particularly annoying. I liked the movies and quotes for the first few games but, as with earlier versions, they get old fast.
      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun

Why the quotation marks?
        I dont consider it to be music. It's more muzak than music. I get especially irritated at the 'out of africa earth-culture music' that seems to be standard fare.
        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
          You had the GeForce FX 5500 before, UR? Your problems were most likely not related to that, since I have that exact card and the game runs fine on my machine.
          I didn't think it was.

Dr Zoidberg had a less powerful video card, and the game didn't freeze his box.

I ran out of things to try, however. I tried:

1. Tweaking the .ini file. Didn't seem to help at all
          2. Lowering the colour depth. Appeared to help in some cases, not others
          3. Forcing anti-aliasing in the driver. Didn't help (I tried up to 2xQ)
          4. Trying various settings in the nVidia driver. No use.
          5. Installing patch v109. Useless.
          6. Lowering the mouse sampling rate. No help.
          7. Changing to an USB mouse. Ditto.
          8. Using 78.01 instead of 81.95. Didn't solve the problem.

In fact, the freezing problem is worse now than before I used to be able to get 3-4 hours if I start a new game, but now I couldn't get more than an hour before something bad happens.

I am very pissed off.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Now that IS funny.

The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

I'm not sure if this will help but I'll post it anyway. You may still be having driver-related problems even though you have the latest ForceWare release.

It's sort of important to remove any remaining bits of old driver material and configurations... They can cause a conflict and sometimes crashes. To do this, download DriverCleaner Professional. Once you have installed this, completely remove all nVidia listings in your Add/Remove Programs control panel within Windows. It will prompt you for a restart... When you are restarting right before the Windows XP flash screen (the one with the scrolling bar) press F8 to bring up the OS startup selection. Select "Safe Mode" or "Safe Mode with Networking" and press any key. Safe mode will load all default display drivers and will just recongize your graphics card as "Standard VGA Adapter". Now that you are within the safe environment, run the DriverCleaner PE and remove all ATI and nVidia listings. Once you've done this, reboot back to the normal OS environment and run your driver installs.

If you have an inordinate amount of luck, your problem will be solved. If not, I feel for ya man Let me know maybe I can offer other suggestions if it doesn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by Cordelayne
                What is "MSI Neo Platium mobo"?
                Broken?
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Sorry to be snide, but I am frustrated by reports of no joy when I have never had a problem with getting this game going, or the last several.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

If you can find a cache folder, UR, you should delete everything in it and then try to start the game again.

It would be a user directory under 'my games' and therefore might not get eliminated or cleared by reinstalling.

Shot in the dark, but all I can offer.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)

Comment

Does this mean that even Apolyton is all out of ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                        Sorry to be snide, but I am frustrated by reports of no joy when I have never had a problem with getting this game going, or the last several.
                        Yeah it's weird like that. UR's system is superior to mine in every way other than amount of RAM (2.5 GB for myself) and the game runs perfect for me.
                        Last edited by dudemanjack; December 8, 2005, 15:02.

Comment

Is it possible that playing in a window instead of fullscreen will assure that you crash to desktop instead of crashing your whole system?
                          Caelicola

Comment

Thanks all, I'll try them when I get back home

SirSebastian - that's what I thought as well. It didn't turn out that way.
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Progress report

The long journey seems to be at an end. I have tweaked and patched my game enough that, so far, I can play from saved games indefinitely.

I have applied v109 patch, together with Harkonennen64's memory patch. The settings for Hark's patch are:

- video_memory = 128
                              - insane mode off

I am using nVidia driver 81.95 with 6600GT, set to 16-bit colour depth. The game settings are:

- 1024x768 res
                              - medium details
                              - movies off
                              - single character
                              - no combat zoom

Previously saved games crashed after about 5 turns. Last night I was able to play for a couple of hours with these settings.

I hope this is it.

/me keeps fingers crossed

Comment

Working...
                              X