Something funny happened

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something funny happened

Seeing that patch 1.09 does absolutely nothing to fix my problem of the game freezing the computer solid - in fact, the situation seemed to have gotten worse - I decided to remove the whole thing and reinstalled the entire game again.

The installation went smoothly, but then something very strange happened. All the voice-overs now sound like Donald Duck's nephews talking, this includes Leonard Nimoy

It seems that the speed of the speeches somehow got increased, a lot.

I am not sure what's the difference between these two installations.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Firaxis hates you and wishes you misery UR, that is all
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Who doesn't hate commies?
      Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
      The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

I am having great fun listening to the a mile a minute speeches. It is comic relief
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Masochist.
          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

I turned off the speeches, "music", and all movies after a few games.
            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

The saga continues

After much deliberation, I decided to bite the bullet by upgrading to a 6600GT.

When I got home yesterday evening I put the video card in. Installed 81.95 and rebooted the machine a few times in typical Windows fashion.

I ran the game again and found the speeches were back to normal. Nimoy no longer spoke like Donald Duck's nephews However, the intro screens I had used to get (and skip) disappeared.

Sure, I did installed DirectX 9.0C the umpteenth time, again. It's not like I haven't done that with my old FX5500 card, though.

This is the weirdest gameprogram I have ever seen.

Even after the upgrade the game still crashes on me. Freezes the box solid no less.

Comment

Wow. That sucks. Even after the new video card?

I'm sure you've already answered this a hundred times over... what's the rest of your system like at the moment?
                What is SportsDigs.com?

Comment

Originally posted by Franklinnoble
                  Wow. That sucks. Even after the new video card?
                  Yup. That didn't fix the freezing problem. The scrolling is a lot faster now, though, and the units just zip around the map.

Originally posted by Franklinnoble
                  I'm sure you've already answered this a hundred times over... what's the rest of your system like at the moment?
                  Athlon 64 3200+
                  1GB RAM
                  MSI Neo Platium mobo
                  tons of hard disk space

Comment

What is "MSI Neo Platium mobo"?

I'm still having troubles with the game's performance, and I also got two new video cards (for me and my wife) just for this one game...but I've been able to enjoy some of the game's subtleties. I trust you'll get there too (if not already).

Comment

Originally posted by Cordelayne
                      What is "MSI Neo Platium mobo"?
                      This beast

Comment

Well, your system certainly exceeds the minimum specs.

Maybe this game has issues with the AMD 64 processors? Has anyone done a study on this?

My system is slower - but I don't think I've ever had a CDT... but I'm on a T42 thinkpad with an Intel Centrino processor...
                        What is SportsDigs.com?

Comment

You had the GeForce FX 5500 before, UR? Your problems were most likely not related to that, since I have that exact card and the game runs fine on my machine.

-Arrian
                          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
                            I certainly switched off Mr "I got Pig Iron! I got Pig Iron!" Nimoy. I like the Wonder movies, though.

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
                              Why the quotation marks?
                              I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Working...
                              X