No announcement yet.

What would you like to build next... pop-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're loosing gold already and have a ton of military units, you really don't want to produce anything as it will take gold for unit upkeep. Then if you reach zero gold in the treasury and are still loosing (mainly from aggressive expansion) then the game starts knocking off your units and even workers.

Keeping the treasury up until you get courthouses or wealth is neccessary, and sacrificing production would be nice early.
    ~I like eggs.~

Comment

Originally posted by Tiberius
      It can happen that you don't want to build anything.
      For example you are on a small continent, alone, and built every building available in every city and you are waiting for some tech that will allow you to go and explore or to build something else. Why would you build units which will become obsolete in a few turns, when no one is around anyway?

Building units and then disbanding them is just plain stupid (though at least it is an option).

As for the workaround, it is just that: a workaround, which doesn't always work. If you exit the city screen, it moves to the next city build pop-up but after that it jumps back to the previous city and again and again.

Though a rare situation, choosing not to build anything should be a possible choice. As well as a reminder that you are not building anything (there is a bug, when you can choose from the build popup to build the same wonder in multiple cities, but only the first city will start building it, the second won't build anyhing. A warning message would be nice)
      Ok, so you have good reasons not to build anything. Build unit/disband it is dumb, but it's a workaround. As for jumping back to the previous city, that doesn't happen for me. On the popup, I just say Examine City, then press Enter to exit the City Screen, popup for the next city comes up, deal with that, and the first city never popups again and it's building nothing. Sorry if it doesn't work for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Aileron
        On the popup, I just say Examine City, then press Enter to exit the City Screen, popup for the next city comes up, deal with that, and the first city never popups again and it's building nothing. Sorry if it doesn't work for you.
        Try what you are describing when you have only one city finishing a build. If you do what you said you do, it will jump back directly to the build popup.

I tried this some minutes ago. No chance to move on. Probably this workaround works only when you have more cities finishing production, I don't know. It is not very important to me, but since it was mentioned, I thought to point out that the thread starter has a valid point which cannot be dismissed with a simple "why would you not want to build anything?"
        "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
        --George Bernard Shaw
        A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
        --Woody Allen

Comment

The solution is:

- Select an item to build from the pop-up, pop-up closes
          - Go to city view
          - Delete item from Build Queue
          - Exit City View
          E8400 3GHZ, GA-X58-DS5, 4GB Ram, ATI 4890 1GB, Samsung 226BW, Windows 7 64-bit

Comment

Um, you can always empty the build queue in the Examine City view, which you can get to any time in the game with F10, or by double-clicking the name of the city below the graphic of it on the map.

Just click on an item in the build queue that you want removed, and it will remove it. If it is the only thing, it will leave the build queue empty.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why you would let hammers go to waste. With Civ 4, anything you put into building something doesn't get lost if you switch production mid-stream; it simply sits with the partly-built item until you resume production of it later. Building nothing in the city means the hammers go completely to waste.
            I play Europa Universalis II; I dabble in everything else.

Comment

If I finish what I'm building one turn before what I really want to build next becomes available via new tech, I'm liable to want to build nothing. As for the "build something else and interrupt it" idea, that works...assuming you aren't going to lose track of that action and forget to come back to it. If I really wanted to jump on it that quickly, chances are I didn't want to wait the 5 turns it would take me to come back around. (Which is also the problem with switching to one of the wealth options.)

Comment

For some reason, my city upkeep comes at the end of my turn after the 1.09 patch. I find this annoying. I like city upkeep and research popup to occur at the beginning of the turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Azuarc
                  If I finish what I'm building one turn before what I really want to build next becomes available via new tech, I'm liable to want to build nothing. As for the "build something else and interrupt it" idea, that works...assuming you aren't going to lose track of that action and forget to come back to it. If I really wanted to jump on it that quickly, chances are I didn't want to wait the 5 turns it would take me to come back around. (Which is also the problem with switching to one of the wealth options.)
                  How can you forget it? It stays in the queue, right under what you are building, and engages again once you finish the object you started before it was finished.
                  I play Europa Universalis II; I dabble in everything else.

Comment

don't forget there are already a lot of mods out there.... i like playing with ultra mod (veeeery looong epic game) which means researching of only the first few techs takes about 30-40 turns each... during that time you can't continously produce military units because they'll get far too expensive, especially if you don't yet have pottery to build cottages.

the workaround for me (which always works) is to select anything in the 'build next' pop-up, then click on the city bar (where it says the city's pop, current production, etc.) and remove the unit from the list (a little quicker than 'entering' the city and changing it there).

Comment

Originally posted by Azuarc
                      I solve that by choosing a unit i definately won't need.. e.g. a scout when i've already discovered most of the lands around me. or any other unit, for that matter. choose something you definately won't need and chances are, if you forget and scroll by the city, you'll notice it and think 'hey, i don't need that, let's investigate'.
                      may sound stupid but for me it works.

Comment

I always need more of something. Either the city has buildings it needs that I haven't built or my military needs more troops (I tend to go for domination). I really can't imagine not having something to build in a city.

Honestly, while I suppose this situation could come up, I'd look over how you are playing your game to see if there isn't something to improve. In my mind, something has gone wrong if you don't have something to build. (Maybe I am wrong about that, but that's my gut reaction).

-Drachasor
                        "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

Comment

Working...
                        X