Cheatery of the highest order!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheatery of the highest order!

Ahh, I burn with righteous indignation. Here's how it went down (wish I had the first turn save, but I don't...):

Turn 1. I start with a goody hut beside my warrior and my settler some distance away. I enter the goody hut square and
    a) get an experience bonus
    b) see the Egyptian settler and warrior two tiles away - there's some water by there that lets me see
    Turn 2. The Egyptians built their city and their warrior is now next to mine. I upgrade my warrior and attack, narrowly defeating their warrior. My warrior is now next to the undefended city, which is ripe for the sodomy I'll unleash next turn...
    Turn 3. ...except there's now a warrior in that city. WTF??

Glancing at the terrain, the city shouldn't be able to get more than 3 shields/hammers/whatever per turn, so how did they construct a 20-shield warrior in time for turn 3? Because I can see all the non-water squares around the city, the warrior couldn't have come from outside, from a goody hut I couldn't see or something, so I cry foul and shake my fist! My splendid feat of stone-age warfare was so horribly supplanted by cheatery!

Here are some screenshots from turns 2 and 3.

Smashy Smashy:

Muhahahah - Victory:

Sweet Fancy Moses, where did they come from?!

I should add that this was on the Noble difficulty level, and I'm mad 'cause I thought that the AI wasn't supposed to pull stunts like these any more, but here we are. Boo!

(and the fact that we started so close together might itself be a bug)

Comment

**edit.., already answered
      Last edited by MattPilot; November 23, 2005, 00:04.

Comment

Almost the exact same thing happened to me in one of my games recently. It was on noble difficulty... and my response was to immediately open up worldbuilder and give myself and extra warrior also.

Tada!

Comment

This would happen in SMAC also. You always had to wipe out the defenders and take the base on the same turn or else they would have an instant garrison next turn. Not that I am saying they used SMAC code, tee hee...

Comment

Hm, somebody complained about this already.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Diplomatic
              Almost the exact same thing happened to me in one of my games recently. It was on noble difficulty... and my response was to immediately open up worldbuilder and give myself and extra warrior also.
              That's nice. Since the computer cheated now it is an open license to cheat yourself.

While you were at it, you should have given yourself a couple of tanks or something like that. One up on them, you know?
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I guess the AI is more equal on Noble than humans.
                "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
                --George Bernard Shaw
                A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
                --Woody Allen

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

That's nice. Since the computer cheated now it is an open license to cheat yourself.

While you were at it, you should have given yourself a couple of tanks or something like that. One up on them, you know?
                  Yes, the game gives us the option and I went ahead and used it. What is it to you? Did my adding of a warrior to a private, single player game ruin your day? Get off it. What I do in my game shouldn't bother you in the least.

But if it is going to bother you, I might as well tell you that one time I even gave myself a spy... and I didn't even have Scotland Yard...

Holy blasphemy! Are you gonna be ok?
                  Last edited by Diplomatic; November 23, 2005, 04:07.

Comment

Don't mind UR. He enjoys being annoying at times.

I wuv u, UR.
                    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

It could be worse...2 units could have appeared. That happened to me in a game on Monarch. I had whittled the city down to one defender. Of course two units appear and then the longbowman proceeds to beat two of my Redcoats in a row against 2-1 odds. I hate it when that happens.

-Drachasor
                      "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

Comment

Premek, do you still have the savegames?
                        you could open it in the world builder and check the production capabilities of that city for each turn.
                        - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
                        - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
                          Don't mind UR. He enjoys being annoying at times.

I wuv u, UR.
                          Hehe, ok. By the way, if the AI doesn't like people using worldbuilder against them, maybe they can whine about it to Firaxis and get themselves a patch for the human cheatery!

all in fun.

Comment

I did pop open the world builder, but I'm too much of a n00b to figure out how to see the particulars of what the city's doing, or at the very least it's not intuitive. At any rate, just by looking at the terrain, they should have no more than 3 shields of production, so they either have a 333% production bonus or they were given a free warrior, and the late game is inconsistent with such a large bonus (at least on Noble). They still get the 2nd warrior even if I leave them alone, so this is cheating by default rather than the game going "oh nos, we must save oursevles from woe!"

Anyhow, I'm just disappointed that the much-vaunted AI still needs to be propped up like this even on a fairly modest difficulty level (though overall I'm still pretty damn happy with the game).

Comment

Not sure what’s that’s about. A guess in the dark is it could be in response to Barbs kicking the crap out of the AI and destroying entire Civs before the game even gets up and running.
                              "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

Working...
                              X