Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MattPilot
    MODDING TIP:

If you want more "bang for the buck" from the siege weapons, increase the retreat chance to 50% or 60% (i have it on 60%).

They still lose most of the fights, but usually they survive. This simulates that they are rearming or whatever. Since they will be out of action for a couple of turns, they aren't to overpowered.

Also, if you really feel like it, you can give your arty units a 100% retreat chance, although that would, IMO, really unbalance the game.
    Even though I hate the new artillery system, your idea is actually pretty cool!

I played a game with your suggested setting, and I actually had fun with my artillery. Thanks for the suggestion!

Comment

cats/cannons/artillery are all WAY too powerful if you allow them to bombard like they could in Civ 3 without losses. If they allowed that they'd have to double the defensive strength of units in a city so they'd be hard to take with bombardment and almost impossible without.

Comment

I love how artillery is now.. Now you only need 1 or 2 arty units to drop down a cities defence, and have your real fight with the units.. Maybe if you wait another turn after defences are down you can send in the cannon to do collateral damage (my only upgrades on bombardment units!) Suddenly if you have 3 cannons doing kamakaze attacks at the start of your stack, everyone in the city is at half health.. even capitals.
        ~I like eggs.~

Comment

Originally posted by khumak
          cats/cannons/artillery are all WAY too powerful if you allow them to bombard like they could in Civ 3 without losses. If they allowed that they'd have to double the defensive strength of units in a city so they'd be hard to take with bombardment and almost impossible without.
          I think they are just as...if not more powerful than civ3's version. Face it, the only reason why arty was so "uber" was because the AI had no idea what to do with it. Playing against a human counterpart I thought the setup was perfect. I knew how to counter it, as did my opponent.

Now we have a super cheap unit that disables defenses and spams damage to up to 8 units at a time. At least in Civ 3 only one unit was affected. I personally hated the collateral damage is Civ3C/PtW and I removed it. So, in civ 3 we needed a hugh stack of artillery to do what maybe 3-4 units of it will do now. So how is it again that arty was more powerful in civ 3? The AI, or lack there of, excuse will only go so far....

Comment

Working...
          X