Artillery...what is it good for? Absolutley nothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artillery...what is it good for? Absolutley nothing

Finally got my copy of Civ4 the other day and what a mixed bag it is. Lots of good new stuff like more resources, Nimoy's cool musings, faster production, railroads that aren't unlimited, removing corruption (which I never really had a problem with but I thought the amount was way to harsh)

But what have they done to the combat system. Supposedly it is to make it simpler. Simpler than what? If the the mentally dizzying concept of an attack rating and and defence rating is too much then maybe strategy games aren't for you. So now everything is combat neutral and we are back to bigger is better. In older versions artillery-type units were strong on offense and pathetic on defense (the way they are in reality). This was good. It meant you REALLY did have to use a "combined arms" approach. You needed to defend artillery with other strong defense units. The only unit that has this balance right in Civ4 is the machine gun.

And what is the go with bombardment. It only affects city defenses??!?!! Stripping a city of its production softens it up for invasion as does damaging the units inside. But artillery doesn't do this anymore. You can't even bombard units in the field. And artillery is so weak....apparently it is as good (rating=12) as a bunch of guys with 18th century grenades. But you can invade a city with a piece of artillery (which does not happen in reality) if you find a defender puny enough
    (maybe a basic warrior) to attack. I thought they had the artillery system right in Civ3. Artillery was good there. (Although I thought capture shouldn't be guaranteed - maybe a 20-30% chance of capture).

Why can't you bombard units or terrain improvements? This makes no sense to me either. In earlier Civs, you had to protect resources from attack. The way it should be. Also aerial bombing of cities was a great way of undermining production in other nations if you weren't strong enough to invade or counter-attack or they were across the sea. You should also still be able to bombard
    naval units that come in too close. That's why for the past three hundred years nations have built coastal defenses of one sort or another.

The other thing is that we still seem to have the "mysterious" AI combat advantage that has been debated forever. I had an AI archer attack a tank and win!!!! (must have got the arrow through the drivers view slit). Last night in another game I had three AI infantry (no artillery) attack a city of mine defended by 3 riflemen. They won. Now my riflemen (14) were defending a city of culture 100% and were fortified for several turns and were city garrison units. Thus they should have combat odds of 14+14+3+3=34 (depending on rounding). Therefore from a purely statistical POV the AI should lose 3 units for every 2 of mine (34:20 gives 1.5x chance of me winning). Alas it was not to be the AI killed all 3 of my units without issue. But all was not lost because apparently two of the AI infantry must have taken a nasty fall in the mad rush to enter my city as they were reduced to 19.2 and 18.7........ I have also had AI battleships attack my subs (I thought they were supposed to be invisible to all but other subs and destroyers).

It seems that the developers have catered to the "I want to invade everything but don't want the inconvenience of having to rebuild a city after capture; and I don't like it when the enemy bombards my resources" crowd...........the Civ4 combat system has taken a BIG BIG step backwards.

If we still used the old artillery you would only use artillery like in Civ3 and never lose a unit. This was a problem in my opinion. This way, you have to use all types of units.

Comment

Well I think the new system is great!

You forgot to mention collateral damage. What that means is that you can use your artillery 'kamikaze' style, throwing it into combat with enemy stacks even although it will lose - because in so doing, the collateral damage automatically softens up a number of the other units in the stack.

My original thought was that Firaxis made this 'kamikaze' the only way to go about softening stacks with non-aerial artillery as a way of preventing artillery becoming too powerful - because collateral damage is a killer. Therefore it's well worth having LOTS of artillery.

As for aircraft, these are AWESOME. Not only can they take out city defences but they are cause collateral damage to stacks of units without being killed (unless they get intercepted). Aircraft CAN destroy improvements. Bombers ROCK!

As for the rest of the combat system - well I can't remember the last time in a Civ game I had to think so much about what I am going to build. Different units have different advantages, e.g. Macemen +50% against melee weapons while War Elephants have a bonus against horse archers. Sometimes it's a good idea to have lots of cavalry, other times good to have lots of grenadiers, sometimes a mixture. But whichever you choose take a lot of frigates and cannons with you.

I love Civilization IV!

Comment

MODDING TIP:

If you want more "bang for the buck" from the siege weapons, increase the retreat chance to 50% or 60% (i have it on 60%).

They still lose most of the fights, but usually they survive. This simulates that they are rearming or whatever. Since they will be out of action for a couple of turns, they aren't to overpowered.

Also, if you really feel like it, you can give your arty units a 100% retreat chance, although that would, IMO, really unbalance the game.

Comment

Originally posted by amicus curiae
          If we still used the old artillery you would only use artillery like in Civ3 and never lose a unit. This was a problem in my opinion. This way, you have to use all types of units.
          Two things have changed since then....mounted units have an advantage against artillery (as they should) and rail no longer allows infinite movement...so the ability to ship units around to the point of conflict is limited. Thus artillery "can't be everywhere at once"......as it was in earlier Civs.

You could easily get around artillery stacks by attacking with cavalry or tanks. The artillery was only as strong as its defenders. (But I will concede that maybe a range of two was a bit much)

Another way around the artillery-too-powerful issue would be to allow suppression by the opponents artillery ie. whoever strikes first can suppress (prevent from attacking) any artillery in the bombarded square.

Comment

Originally posted by Son of David
            You forgot to mention collateral damage. What that means is that you can use your artillery 'kamikaze' style, throwing it into combat with enemy stacks even although it will lose - because in so doing, the collateral damage automatically softens up a number of the other units in the stack.

As for aircraft, these are AWESOME. Not only can they take out city defences but they are cause collateral damage to stacks of units without being killed (unless they get intercepted). Aircraft CAN destroy improvements. Bombers ROCK!

As for the rest of the combat system - well I can't remember the last time in a Civ game I had to think so much about what I am going to build. Different units have different advantages, e.g. Macemen +50% against melee weapons while War Elephants have a bonus against horse archers. Sometimes it's a good idea to have lots of cavalry, other times good to have lots of grenadiers, sometimes a mixture. But whichever you choose take a lot of frigates and cannons with you.
            Yes I agree that the new units and their different strengths are a good thing. But not being able to range attack on resources and improvements and city structures is not.

Collateral damage is only a % chance and it is relatively useless once other units get stronger than 12.

Perhaps a limit on the number of artillery units a city can support would also curb to high a dependance on artillery stacks.

Cities get damaged in war.....and I beleive the game is lessened because it has lost this.....the only real issue from earlier games was that somehow when invasion was imminent the AI would manage to convert all its buildings into gold (which was just silly)...but city damage was realistic.....

Comment

Originally posted by MattPilot
              MODDING TIP:

If you want more "bang for the buck" from the siege weapons, increase the retreat chance to 50% or 60% (i have it on 60%).

They still lose most of the fights, but usually they survive. This simulates that they are rearming or whatever. Since they will be out of action for a couple of turns, they aren't to overpowered.

Also, if you really feel like it, you can give your arty units a 100% retreat chance, although that would, IMO, really unbalance the game.
              This is a really good idea in terms of a compromise.

How do you mod in Civ4?....I did it in Civ3 a few times but must admit I've forgotten

Any help would be appreciated...

Comment

Originally posted by Zebitty

This is a really good idea in terms of a compromise.

How do you mod in Civ4?....I did it in Civ3 a few times but must admit I've forgotten

Any help would be appreciated...

Lots of text to follow, looks complicated but really isn't. Bare with me

In the "Mods" folder of Civ4, create a folder called "Meh own modz!", or something like that.

Then in that folder, create a folder called "Assets". Then in that folder, create a folder called "XML". Then last, create a folder in that folder called "Units".

So we are looking at "Civ4\mods\myownmod\Assets\XML\Units"

Then open up the "civ4\assets\XML\Units" folder and copy and paste the file "CIV4UnitInfos.xml" into your own folder you just created a minute ago.

Then open the file in your mod folder with a XML editor (a good free one is cooktop - use google, should be top link if you type "Free XML editor").

Search for "UNIT_CATAPULT", "UNIT_CANNON", and "UNIT_ARTILLERY" and in each 3 entries change the entry "iWithdrawalProb".

Save and play - don't forget to load the mod in Civ4 options menu.

OR, since i'm feeling really nice today, i'll do the editing for you if you tell me what withdraw chance you'd like.

You'll still need to create the folders yourself though.

Comment

Thanks so much for that Matt, and thanks for the offer to mod it for me........but I think I'll give it a go myself first. As my mother used to say "It's the only way you'll learn"

Are there any guides to modding Civ4?.... I read in the back of the manual that you can theoretically mod anything in the game. Including things like natural disasters etc....

Comment

But what have they done to the combat system. Supposedly it is to make it simpler. Simpler than what?
                    How can you be so sure it's to make it simpler?

I believe it actually makes it deeper strategically, there are no longer simple pre-defined attackers and defeners.

Comment

Originally posted by Blake

How can you be so sure it's to make it simpler?

I believe it actually makes it deeper strategically, there are no longer simple pre-defined attackers and defeners.
                      Because that's what it says in the blurb at the back of the manual...............

Comment

Bwahahahahah.

Combat in Civ4 has undergone a major overhaul from it's predecessors. In fact, combat may have undergone the most radical changes of all. To being with the old attack and defense values have been combined into a single unit strength value. This change was made to create design space for significant new complexity.
                        -- From the Civ4 manual.

Comment

fair enough I stand corrected....but I have read the comment about simplifying the stats somewhere. The thing is how does combining the stats make it more complex.....that doesn't make sense. Two stats with relevant upgrades is always going to be more complex than 1 stat with upgrades.

Comment

While combining both stats into one simplyfies the system, overall the combat system still got more complex by using a different combat formula. For more info, read the combat explained thread in the strategy forum.

Comment

The Promotion system makes for far more variations on combat than A/D. The Promotion system and A/D would be more complex still of course.

Comment

Working...
                              X