Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny game play fix in patch

According to Firaxis:

MANY game play improvements (ex Animal Husbandry reveals horses)

Imagine that.

"So, you know I've been trying to figure out where hamsters come from. And I pretty much figured it out."

"Yeah. I guess you said they make more hamsters. When a mommy and daddy hamster love each other very much."

"Yeah. But it turns out to have a practical implication, y'know?"

"What's that?"

"Well, you know the invisible thunder? And the thing where people would fly through the air with these round marks on them, and our grain would disappear as though something were eating it?"

"Yeah?"

"Well, there's animals that do that, and now that I know how hamsters reproduce, I can see them!"

lol
    Well there is a difference between the real world and the gaming world. This is simply a feature that makes it more enjoyable.

The sudden appearance of horses could signify the people learning which areas have dense populations of horses. It doesn't necessarily mean they had no knowledge of horses before then.

Comment

Or someone figured out how to catch one of the blighters.

And then think of actually sitting on it.

Bit mad, when you think about it.... ;-)

Cambo

Comment

(\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Oh, I know it's an abstraction. I just think it's funny that you can't even percieve them until you have the resources to tame them.

Comment

Of course you are right, but your OP is funny.

It reminds me of battle cows.

Cheers
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

The "Horse" resource is supposed to represent your Civ's ability to use horses, not just recognise them.

Since "Animal Husbandry" involves breeding, rearing, raising and breaking horses, it makes complete sense that it should be a pre-requisite to the "Horse" resource.

The same thing applies to many things - for example, coal is present in outcroppings and washed up on beaches, oil bubbles out of the ground. People will observe these things before having the requisite tech to use them. Horses are the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Cambo67
                Or someone figured out how to catch one of the blighters.

And then think of actually sitting on it.

Bit mad, when you think about it.... ;-)

Cambo
                In the same vein, think about clams.

Somebody had the thought of actually opening
                up one of those things and then eating it.

A braver, or more hungry, man than most...

And, not in CIV, oysters. "Here's a nice piece of
                snot in a shell, I think I'll eat it !"
                "Would you people please try to remember that I am EVIL !?"
                - Spike

Comment

Originally posted by seebs
                  Oh, I know it's an abstraction. I just think it's funny that you can't even percieve them until you have the resources to tame them.

We are almost tending to phlosophy here

cheers

Gunter

Comment

Originally posted by Timmer

The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!

Comment

I suppose that when a Civ "learns" a technology, it becomes a part of its primary infrastructure.

Riding horses, for instance, probably goes back much further than the official dates in history books. Anthropologists have discovered Neanderthal skeletons with injuries that suggest they were thrown from some animal they were riding. And the legends of Centaurs who were both the teachers of early civilizations and their drunken oppressors, depending on the legend cycle, suggests an early mastery of horse riding now lost to us in the mists of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Timmer

I've often wondered about that guy. Was he drunk as hell? Starving? Just plain nuts?

-Arrian
                        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian

I've often wondered about that guy. Was he drunk as hell? Starving? Just plain nuts?

-Arrian
                          Gotta figure he watched birds smash and eat them. If it's good for seagulls, it must be good for us, right? Anyway, thank god for him... not sure I could live without a bowl of clam chowder every once in a while.

-H

Comment

I find it amusing that people insist horses should be visible because you can see them. Imagine if every animal in the world was on the screen. You'd be overrun with gophers, squirrels, dogs, cats, fruit bats, blue jays....

The reason that horses aren't visible before animal husbandry is because they're just another random animal - in this case, one you can't even catch - that isn't worth noting. It's only after animal husbandry that someone figures out these are noteworthy.
                            Friedrich Psitalon
                            Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
                            Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

At the end of the day, it's a gameplay decision. The rest is a slippery slope. What about silk, for example? Really those shouldn't show up on the map, either, if the idea is "nothing shows up until people know its use."

But that isn't the argument. Things show up or don't for gameplay reasons. If you hid silk, for instance, you'd at some point take away the gamer's ability to make good decions about what parts of the tech tree to focus on. At some point, you'd be playing tech roulette.
                              I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Working...
                              X