Are you a bottom or a top?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you a bottom or a top?

Something that is really really frustrating me with CivIV is this...I've been playing mostly Custom Continents, 3 or 4, on a huge map. 90% of the time my civ starts near the top or bottom of the map and my only expansion is into tundra areas, usually without rivers. IE-slow city growth and production. The really big problem for me is the 90%. It just keeps happening. Top, or bottom of the map. Like one of the continents is stuck to the bottom without much land generated into better climates and you're stuck there almost every single damn time. Anyone else have this occuring to them?

I'm a middle/top most of the time. I don't seem to start on coastlines either.

*edit* I've only played 3 full games at this point though.

Comment

I just forget about expanding into tundra areas. You might as well focus on taking over a better city in my opinion.

Comment

I think you're missing the point. : / My only option, 90% of the time, is to expand into tundra.

Comment

yeah i seen plenty of that
          you choose "temparate" and you end up with a cold wasteland to play on

if that happens generally i will just start a new game as you find yourself in a position where you cannot get enough production off the land to compete in the game

this to me is just another of the "AI cheats/gets bonuses" that have been so discussed in other treads

Comment

and tbh its the very worsed example of the game supporting the AI as even if you try to play these maps you know you cant win
            if you could make war and steal tech these kind of maps may become playable but as things stand your better off just starting again

Comment

I'm a middle man.
              RIAA sucks
              The Optimistas
              I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

I’ve played 2 full, and a good number of partial, games at about the same settings (2 or 3 continents, Huge Map, 18 civs) and haven’t had that problem. I always, however, seem to start on the northernmost continent. But on that continent I can land anywhere and the conditions have truly varied. So far I am treating it as a coincidence rather than a trend.
                "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

IIRC, your place location depends on your Civ choices.
                  RIAA sucks
                  The Optimistas
                  I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

whats the formula?

SMAC and civ 3 both did this to some extent

often you will get alot of trees on your tundra as if in compensation for the crapness of the terrain,but other than cutting them down what can you do with that?
                    i have tryed to play by keeping the trees and picking up my food from teh sea but it doesnt work, you just start to fall behind cause you cant generate enough science

its a shame there isnt a way to use forrests, something that would give a food/gold bonus of some sort

perhaps just the "fir tree" type forest you get in tundra?

Comment

It might. I played the … I forgot the exact name … but it’s the Inland Sea Map (the one with the major body of water in the center) as Gandhi. Restarted several times, got the exact same spot.
                      "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

there is an obvious link between gettign crappy terrain and the the lvl you play on

Comment

Untill i woke up more, I thought this thread was in the OT forum. I was prepared to be a little more shocked.

I tend to be a top.
                          Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

It might. I played the … I forgot the exact name … but it’s the Inland Sea Map
                            if your playing a scenario map its likely the starting points are set

Comment

What a thread title . . . . . . .
                              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                              X