No announcement yet.

Reference-list for (undocumented) interface features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

- Pressing 'insert' brings up the city screen for the most centrally located city on the map.

- . and , cycle through units in a stack.

And why isn't there a wait button?

Comment

Any chance of making a quick reference card of ALL available keyboard commands, even those documented in the manual, the in-game readme/errata and those added in the patches?

/me says "Hi" to all old friends. I more or less stopped playing Civ when CivIII came, I never got into that one. Wife gave me CivIV for Yule, and I have been behaving like a junkie since, installing the game, tweaking graphics option to allow it to run, reading the manual, playing the tutorial, starting a few games and ending before first turn, studying the poster... Waiting for the opportunity to get my first fix for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Nacht
        What do you mean? Skipping to the next unit works just as a "Wait" button would...
        Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

- Pressing 'insert' brings up the city screen for the most centrally located city on the map.

- . and , cycle through units in a stack.

It's 'W'. Same as it's been since Civ1.

Tom P.

Comment

Originally posted by padillah

It's 'W'. Same as it's been since Civ1.

Tom P.

It's not a button. It's a key...
            Seriously, I'm waiting for this button in the next patch. We had this in Civ III
            RIAA sucks
            The Optimistas
            I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Well, if you're waiting for them to add things that are already in, you may have to wait a long time.
              Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
              The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
                Well, if you're waiting for them to add things that are already in, you may have to wait a long time.
                But I want a 'button'. I want to be able to use the mouse and the keyboard.

Comment

Start>Programs>Accessories>Accessibility>On Screen Keyboard

Comment

But I want a 'button'. I want to be able to use the mouse and the keyboard.
                    Ok, I give.

Why? What is so special about having the button on the UI vs. just typing 'W' on the keyboard?

Are there accessibility issues at work here our are you just being pedantic? (no harm in being pedantic, I just want to know if that's the reason)

Tom P.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHateMale
                      Start>Programs>Accessories>Accessibility>On Screen Keyboard

It's not the same, is a third part application...
                      I would like an in-game button, like Civ III had.
                      RIAA sucks
                      The Optimistas

Comment

Ok, I give.

Why? What is so special about having the button on the UI vs. just typing 'W' on the keyboard?

Tom P.
                        Nothing, but I really do prefer to play with the pen of my Wacom tablet, I'm just used to it.
                        I rarely use the keyboard, even when working on Photoshop or Painter (it's not the Microsoft Paint, btw... )
                        I give up to play RoN because there's no support to tablets.
                        RIAA sucks
                        The Optimistas

Comment

If you don't like your start position and don't care to play it, hit Esc, and you'll see an option to regenerate the map. This saves you from having to go back through the menu. It only works on the first turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Willem
                            If you don't like your start position and don't care to play it, hit Esc, and you'll see an option to regenerate the map. This saves you from having to go back through the menu. It only works on the first turn.
                            But it does work multiple time on the first turn.

Just wanted to be clear about that one. I've used it two or three times in a row (I was testing WorldPainter, not trolling for a magic start).

It's just as slow as if you go through the menus but you don't have to make all the decisions all over again.

Tom P.

Comment

But it does work multiple time on the first turn.
                              That's right. It loks like you can use as many times as you want on that first turn.

It's just as slow as if you go through the menus but you don't have to make all the decisions all over again.
                              Well it is redrawing the entire map after all, that's going to take some time. I suspect a litle bit of time is saved since the computer doesn't have to decide which civs will be included. But at least you don't have to go back through all those selections again. That's a bit of a time saver in itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Willem
                                Well it is redrawing the entire map after all, that's going to take some time. I suspect a litle bit of time is saved since the computer doesn't have to decide which civs will be included. But at least you don't have to go back through all those selections again. That's a bit of a time saver in itself.
                                I wonder why they chose to draw the entire map and then cover it in FOW. Wouldn't it be more efficient to render the squares as they are discovered? The most you can discover at a time is like 25.

Tom P.

Comment

Working...
                                X