Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

civ4 on LAPTOPS/NOTEBOOKS, does it work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• civ4 on LAPTOPS/NOTEBOOKS, does it work?

I still haven't bought CIV4, but i have it reserved already in my favorite local pc game shop... I was shied by the fact that I may not be able to use it using my notebook...

Is there any here who uses notebooks/laptops for civ4?

Is it working? (at the very least)

What kinds of error are you currently encountering?

Up to what map size are you able to play without too much of the distortion?
    “I know that you believe you understand what you
    think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what
    you heard is not what I meant.”

It installed and ran on my Dell Latitude D600. All the specifications are above the required except my graphics card, which is 32MB, so the game runs very slow except when in global view. Not very easy to play like that unfortunately. I'd say it has to be 64MB really.

Comment

Civ4 on low spec'ed computers

I think the question should be rephrased. I got a laptop which is higher spec'ed than my ancient full-tower ;o)

If you want to play on low spec'ed lappie and having problems; just tone down the graphics and go down on the world size. This seems to be the solution for most people.

*showoff*
      Dell lappie - 2GHz CPU, 1GB RAM, 128MB GFX
      Runs smoothly on large maps (haven't tried larger) on 1900x1200
      */showoff*

Comment

If you have Intel Integrated Graphics card forget about it. The terrain will be black and the leaders will be floating eyeballs.

Comment

My graphics card is a Mobility Radeon 9000 by the way. Thanks for mentioning about the world size sittingsparrow, I'll try that next time. Already turned the graphics down to minimum and it didn't help my poor laptop much!

Comment

Re: civ4 on LAPTOPS/NOTEBOOKS, does it work?

Originally posted by fypo13
            Is there any here who uses notebooks/laptops for civ4?
            Is it working? (at the very least)
            What kinds of error are you currently encountering?
            Yes, I'm an happy user of Civ 4 on a notebook (dedicated 128 MB ATI Radeon 9700 SE card).

You can find lots of info about your requests with a quick search in "CIV4-Help" forum section, where all posts about this subject are been moved.
            I think it's better to point you to that source than to try to duplicate every single answer here.
            "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
            - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Running on mine. It's more mediocre qua specs, and I have to play on small maps to have a decent performance.

AMD Athlon XP
              2800+
              800 MHz, 512 MB RAM
              GeForce4 420 Go 32 VRAM
              He who knows others is wise.
              He who knows himself is enlightened.
              -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Civ4 works on my laptop, but I can't load up saves without crashing the whole computer. And even though I've asked over in the help forum, noone has yet tried to help...
                Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I use an old Dell laptop that can play small maps fine in full screen mode and tiny in windowed.

I could probably use a larger map size in full screen but I really don't have the time to play one of those games yet.
                  "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                  "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                  "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                  "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

A Standard map size, Epic mode game takes ~2-3 hours, so I think you have the time.
                    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike4879
                      If you have Intel Integrated Graphics card forget about it. The terrain will be black and the leaders will be floating eyeballs.
                      Mine is Intel 82853/55 GME/GM... are you sure it won't work? Am still waiting for Intel's reply...

Comment

Originally posted by Mike4879
                        Im just curious, is this for real? or you're just exagerating? Honestly?

Comment

Originally posted by opaque
                          It installed and ran on my Dell Latitude D600. All the specifications are above the required except my graphics card, which is 32MB, so the game runs very slow except when in global view. Not very easy to play like that unfortunately. I'd say it has to be 64MB really.
                          You're right. It runs fine on my Latitude D800... 1 gb Ram, and the graphic card has 64MB.
                          I'm playing with graphics on "medium". But on "huge" maps!
                          Well, in the late game, reloading a save can be a pain in the a$$...

But I'm very happy with the performance. In fact, this is my third Dell notebook, and I never been disappointed...
                          Last edited by Aro; November 14, 2005, 09:55.
                          RIAA sucks
                          The Optimistas
                          I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

I run Civ IV on a Dell Inspiron 5150 and have had no performance problems. I do have to run with the graphics options lowered a bit because my graphics card is only 64MB. Here's my system specs:

2.8 GHz Intel Processor
                            GeForce Go5200FX, 64 MB Graphics Card
                            1.24G RAM
                            Windows XP

Comment

Runs fine on mine. Dell Inspiron 8500.

2.4 GHz Intel Pentium 4
                              NVIDIA GeForce4 4200 Go
                              512MB RAM

Granted the game gets a bit slow on Large or Huge maps, but that's generally expected on most configurations.
                              "There is only one religion, though there are a hundred versions of it." - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
                              X