Monasteries are Obsolete -- I consider this a bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grumbold

Are you suggesting that the pre-existing monasteries don't lose their scientific bonus? I thought they did.
    They do. My point was that it is easier, from a game point of view, to add something than it is to try and selectively modify it. In this particular instance, it is easier to add a new building that allows you to build Missionaries than it is to try and allow you to continue to build Monasteries when they are considered 'obsolete'.

Bh

Comment

It is clearly a bug that you cant build a building with some boni after a certain technology.
      It happens in real-life , and ingame that player with monasteries gets an unfair advantage.

Originally posted by LaRusso
      in addition, the number of monasteries built nowadays is nowhere near what it used to be
      Thats because every city have plenty of them already. Also look how many islamic churches are build lately.

Comment

If you don't like this feature, then mod it out, for christsakes.

Comment

Re: Monasteries are Obsolete -- I consider this a bug

Originally posted by Doktrjerms
          OK,

So, Monasteries give you three affects:

1) You can build missionaries of said type.
          2) You get culture.
          3) +10% Science

Now, Scientific method makes the #3 option obsolete. So the game considers monasteries obsolete and you can't build them.

When I am going for a culture win, I find not having 1&2 because of 3 horribly inconvenient. This doesn't make sense either. Monasteries were built in the real world long after the scientific method. Religion is still important today.

Does anybody feel the same as me?
          Anybody feel differently?
          I like it. It's a strategic decision - put off Scientific Method so you can build more Monasteries, or do it but lose the ability to make them.

Comment

Originally posted by LzPrst
            cause it is silly. this obviously hasnt been playtested properly, only the 10% bonus should have become obsolete, but lo and behold, we get civ4 a month early and BUGGY!
            Bull****. I bet it's intended.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktrjerms
              I believe that I made it clear that I thought it was a bug, which implies that I am not sure. Also, am I talking to Firaxis? I am on a fan website. This is a serious question: why does everyone act like I am talking to Firaxis? I already sent them an E-mail. I would like to put your mind at ease, it was worded more appropriately.
              You're talking on a fan site that Firaxis pays relatively close attention to.

Comment

Originally posted by Bhruic

They do. My point was that it is easier, from a game point of view, to add something than it is to try and selectively modify it. In this particular instance, it is easier to add a new building that allows you to build Missionaries than it is to try and allow you to continue to build Monasteries when they are considered 'obsolete'.

Bh
                But isn't it easier just to not obsolete the building than to make a whole new one with art files etc? If the science bonus is gone, its gone.
                To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                H.Poincaré

Comment

It's worth noting you can start monastaries while researching Scientific Method, and they wont get cancelled when the research finishes.

Comment

But isn't it easier just to not obsolete the building than to make a whole new one with art files etc? If the science bonus is gone, its gone.
                    The thing is, the ability to partially obsolesce a building probably isn't coded in at all, and it may require changing a lot of the structure of the building objects.

Comment

Another idea could be to make a second series of buildings to replace monastaries. +1 culture/turn and allows training missionaries.

Comment

Erm, that's exactly the idea that I was talking about.

Comment

Er, if you don't obsolete the building, why would the science bonus be "gone"?

Bh

Comment

Working...
                          X