-Granary
    -Forge
    -Theatre
    -Market
    -Grocer

On top of that any coastal cities get:

-Harbor
    -Lighthouse

My reasoning for these is that I want to maximize growth, production, health, and happiness first. Once those are taken care of then I start adding commerce and research related buildings.

Only cities along hostile borders get walls/castle and only a few of my cities get barracks unless I'm using the civic that gives a happiness bonus for them. Most of my cities never build any units so barracks are pointless. Same goes for walls/castle. If a city in the middle of my empire needs walls it means I'm about to lose the game.

Production cost doesn't matter much to me since I tend to rush buildings in my newly founded or conquered cities with cash. Being Spiritual really helps with this since I can switch back to Representation when I'm done with my spending spree or I'm too low on cash to buy anything. This is also great for when I want to go to war. Switch to Police state/Theocracy/Vassalage to crank out a bunch of +8 xp units at a 25% discount, then switch back with no anarchy. I'd have to say this flexibility makes Spiritual my absolute favorite leader trait. It's also nice being able to build so many cheap temples.

Comment

Theatres. Cultural leaders want it to expand on culture and they're cheap as hell, everyone else wants it simply to have a little.

Nothing else have I found to be particularly essential.

Comment

I build a lighthouse first in coastal cities, no matter what. It's like a worker went around and farmed all of my sea squares, all at once!
        mmmmm...cabbage

Comment

Working...
        X