Does anyone actually lose completely?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone actually lose completely?

I've been playing civ since civ1, on and off over the years, but havn't really discussed stuff with other like minded people before. Just curious if anyone actually plays right to the point they are wiped out? I mean, I play games where the AI will win space or diplo or just on score plenty of times. But if your getting you butt kicked do you actually play till your 'last stand' or figure that it's all over and restart?

Not really interested for any reason, just interested.

I have, just for the drama of it all.
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Naw, I usually retire is it's clear I'm going to lose.

Comment

I did in my first Prince level game. I was hoping the old Civ 1 ending would be back with the ruins and the cryptic message found there...

"STUIE WILL RETURN!"

But no, the game just told me I'm like Dan Quayle. Potatoe!
        "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
        "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
        "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Yeah thats what I thought. I have at least once for each civ version, cos civ1 gave a short movie when you lose, and I always check to see if it been brought back, but alsa, it never is.

"STRUDO WILL RETURN"

Comment

Gee wiz. Almost exactly what I wrote. Shouldn't have taken so long thinking about the reply I guess

Comment

i did last night, but that's cause a friend and i were playing a one city challenge. my stack was off stomping the japanese, when a couple grenadiers showed up on the other side of my capital, and bam. karakorum was japanese.

then my friend helpfully "avenged" me by razing karakorum completely. there was... some black humor in that.
              it's just my opinion. can you dig it?

Comment

I do if I can. I mean, if I can continue stomaching the beating, sure - can be a lot of fun being 'the Alamo'.

Comment

depressing really that losing isnt rewarded...

but seriously, heres something that in fact was BEST in civ1. the loser aftermath. you got those archeologists diggin up the ruins of your civ, finding the stuff you'd done and then... the mysterious stone tablet...

HAMMURABI WILL RETURN!!!

they had similar in civ2, but actually worse... it was a grave chamber IIRC, not a bad touch in itself, but the text was written in times new roman on the wall... in black... no chiseling, no scary occult stone tablet, no angrylooking statue or anything.
                  in civ3, my bowels bleed at the thought of it, just a bunch of other civ leaders calling you names. wtf is that about? okay, I lost, but do they have to mock me? thats the kind of stuff that starts ethnic cleansing in the next game...

civ4. I have yet to actually lose... (chickened out once) but the fact that there is nothing is just another way of ignoring what makes a game truly great. the little things.
                  Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

nope. I'm a wimp. I can't bear the shame of defeat. Only a couple of times have I played to my last city. And those are usually games where I get hammered from the very beginning and only have a few cities to start with.

Comment

tried a game with raging barbarians the other day. watched my city go down in a swarm of barbarian warriors!

it was great!

and now i know that when you lose a city they dont just demand a buncha gold like the good old days. . .
                      By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Kc7mxo
                        tried a game with raging barbarians the other day. watched my city go down in a swarm of barbarian warriors!

it was great!

and now i know that when you lose a city they dont just demand a buncha gold like the good old days. . .
                        Did you catch the post that said you can play as the Barbarians?

Playing with Raging Barbs would be rather interesting AS the Barbarians.

On a side note, did you hear the Barb Leader is Sid?

Dan O.

Comment

I tried. My second game was on Deity, but my tiny three city state survived till the end. I was nowhere near winning of course.

Comment

I wouldn't give up!
                            I actually am close at winning a game now where I was far behind

Comment

I normally just go off and start the new game (or reload from some time back) when its clear bad **** has gone down.
                              Signatures are for people with free time

Comment

Working...
                              X