Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What custom music u think suits best for civ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So far, the best explanation I've run across is here. I've got a nice XML editor (freeware):

but still have a few questions about whether to put songs in assets folder, or CustomAssets, etc. Apparently either will work, just not sure of the redefining the paths, etc. Firaxis didn't make it too easy, though I think a good modder should be able to make a program to allow ordinary users to do this more easily.

I couldn't find a topic explaining how to play different custom music in different eras, so here's how I did it. The following requires a little bit of work but in the end is very simple. It requires the editing of some xml files, so to keep things organised I suggest copying the files in...

The three files to edit:

(Custom)Assets\xml\audio\AudioDefines.xml
    (Custom)Assets\xml\audio\Audio2DScripts.xml
    (Custom)Assets\xml\gameinfo\CIV4EraInfos.xml

Comment

Soundtracks....

Master and Commander
      Gladiator
      Kingdom of Heaven
      Batttlestar Galactica
      King Arthur
      Hero
      House of Flying Daggers
      Passion of the Christ
      Braveheart
      LOTR
      Alexander

Trust me on this...you will be amazed at the quality
      Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
      ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

they sound like good soundtracks.

I like the modern age song where they sing about the heros. I wonder what song that is. I actually do have the soundtrack to civ4 with my SE game. I'll play it one of these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka II
          The three files to edit:

(Custom)Assets\xml\audio\AudioDefines.xml
          (Custom)Assets\xml\audio\Audio2DScripts.xml
          (Custom)Assets\xml\gameinfo\CIV4EraInfos.xml
          Last night I got custom music to work by editing AudioDefines.xml, and simply creating a new tag pointing to a folder I made.

Now, I need to use LAME to convert some of my CD tracks to MP3's so that I can listen to them in Civ4.
          Let Them Eat Cake

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
            they sound like good soundtracks.

I like the modern age song where they sing about the heros. I wonder what song that is. I actually do have the soundtrack to civ4 with my SE game. I'll play it one of these days.
            It's "The People are Heros," from the opera Nixon in China by John Adams. All of the modern era music is by Adams, actually.
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I find the musics the developers choose are great but sometimes you just need something more... more... aggressive So I choose the custom music to my Led Zeppeling/Queen/Aerosmith folder

P.S.
              When the computer plays "rock&roll" or "breakthrough" or "walk this way" I feel more warmonger
              HTTP Error 404 - File or Directory not found
              Internet Information Services (IIS)

Comment

I replaced the opening theme with the Angus Dei from Homeworld. I'm not a fan of swahili music or whatever. the rest of the soundtrack is awesome though.

Comment

A lotta Death Rock! Like Naked and The Dead. Black Ice. Christian Death. And for oddity's sake, bruce springsteen thrown in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Mace

Last night I got custom music to work by editing AudioDefines.xml, and simply creating a new tag pointing to a folder I made.

Now, I need to use LAME to convert some of my CD tracks to MP3's so that I can listen to them in Civ4.
                    Thanks, I'll try it tonight. So AudioDefines.xml is the only one that needs to change.

And thanks for some more titles Hexagonian. I'll check these out.

The game music is really great, just thinking of augmenting it, not removing any pieces at this point. Some of my favorites were CiV II and Civ III medieval music, and some of the ancient era music also. Mongol Horde IIRC was a nice one to listen to as you're building up your first army of knights, dreaming of conquering foreign lands.

Also, I noticed that classical era as used in the sound folder, has ancient era music, so it refers to the ancient classical era (e.g., ancient Greece). I think when you discover Library, you get a pop up screen saying that you have entered the Classical Era.

Comment

Working...
                    X