No announcement yet.

To buy or not to buy???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12 hours? Not one game I presume? My last game was finished after 1h 56 min yesterday, and that was a epic game... Actually, my other games, has mostly ended after 2h ~30min, even though those were in normal mode, so it's a bit weird... But anyway, I won my first Noble game yesterday, so epic must be worth something...
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

My last game was finished after 1h 56 min yesterday, and that was a epic game...
      play on a easier level
      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

A slight variation on this question

Should a Civ2 addict like myself who for some undefinable reason never got hooked on Civ3 buy Civ4?
        Hoping that 4 is closer to 2 than 3

Comment

Wow, I just noticed Civ4 has been released in Sweden! Just when I was in a Civ3 revival, after 15 months break from playing it.

I will go look for the game in stores today. This will not be good for my family life, but I will get some 1+ posts on Apolyton after years in OT. Might even rise to King rank before this year is over
          So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
          Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
            My last game was finished after 1h 56 min yesterday, and that was a epic game...
            play on a easier level
            Huh? No, I won! I played on Noble, and got a great start. By 1800-something(I think, not later at least), I won a diplomatic victory. Quite fun, first time I've won on Noble.
            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

The game was not in any of the computer stores or supermarkets around here. I guess that's what you get for living in a rural town.
              So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
              Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Civ II is a click-fest, so after you get well again (and yes, I played Civ II to death including all the expansions), Civ IV will or should grab you and make you sit down and think more about your Civilization, then it will make you think about getting any production up there to do anything, then it will be fun to play, and be in 3-D so when besides the 3 or 4 scenarios included with the game, and the SDK comes out next year, and you learn xml or python programming, about the time that you end up with a 10gHz computer, then Civ IV will have outlasted Civ II, and especially with the mult-player being so much quicker that Civ II will fade into the Annals of History all on its own.

However, it is not the same as Civ II, so if you expect Civilization has not taken a leap forward and is geared more to building a distinct Civilization then I guess the game will not be for you.

But when the Scenarios come out, much like Civ II, and the entire game is changed around, perhaps that 8 to 10gHz computer will come in handy, especially if there are a lot of units like in Civ II.

Expect till then, that the game will be slow, because in real Civilization a supercomputer (well certainly more than most people have for a computer) will be needed to play the game.

It is in the same vein so to say as Civ II, but all the tedious micromanagement can be gone, so you feel like you can sit there and take it all in (and all on the main map screen) and only visit the other screens just for a break in the game, or for more details if needed.

Do not expect the same Civilization game as Civ II was though (until all the mods are made with many more units and players do have a fast enough computer to move it all around in 3-D, as camera angles move to at least 45 degees on each side -- I have not moved the camera so I do not know if one can completly go around in a circle with the camera, but I guess there may be that possibility or may be -- in the future!)

Comment

How do you move the camera ? I've got the zoom in/out but can you rotate it yourself ?

I've found it much slower paced in that i think a bit more about what i plan to do. Civ3 i generally ended up building everything, CIV the emphasis seems to be on choices. Having said that the game's actual playing time has been shorter for me.

So far there;s not one obvious path to take and if you want to play a builder game the option is there. Civ3 always seemed too combat/aggression focused for me.

Comment

While looking for Civ4 in the supermarket, I saw they had Civ2 for only 4 €. Perhaps I should buy that instead?

Comment

Working...
                    X