Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To buy or not to buy???

Eventide!

Civ4 was released in the UK today. I have the option tommorrow morning of going out with my credit card clutched eagerly in my sweaty paw, or staying in bed.

I know this topics been done, but now you guys have spent a fair bit of time with the game, would you recommend I get up in the morning??
    "Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender B. Rodriguez

Sleep in, and buy it when you wake up. You'll need the sleep.
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Definitely buy it, but if you want to sleep in first, that's fine I wouldn't want to wait that long though.
      Jacob's Law "To err is human: to blame it on someone else is even more human."

Comment

It is the same as with a Civ3. It needs 3-4 patches to kill the bugs and to rebalance the gameplay. Actually the third Civ become a killer game after the first expansion (talking about SP only). Just right now some of the engine bugs are driving me crazy

Comment

Re: To buy or not to buy???

Originally posted by spy14
          Eventide!

Civ4 was released in the UK today. I have the option tommorrow morning of going out with my credit card clutched eagerly in my sweaty paw, or staying in bed.

I know this topics been done, but now you guys have spent a fair bit of time with the game, would you recommend I get up in the morning??
          only a brummie can ask a question like that. rejoice the fact that you do not live in the Third World and that you can actually walk into the store and buy it.

if it does not work out of the box, you will have endless hours of fun messing with your configuration. either way, you win

Comment

Re: Re: To buy or not to buy???

Originally posted by LaRusso

only a brummie can ask a question like that. rejoice the fact that you do not live in the Third World and that you can actually walk into the store and buy it.

if it does not work out of the box, you will have endless hours of fun messing with your configuration. either way, you win
            Woah! Good comeback! But y'see I could spend the £28 on food and shelter. Or petrol at 98p a litre (about $1.30 per liter equivalent to any americans here, let your minds boggle)

Comment

I suggest you read some of the reviews and decide on your own. The game is revamped and different, so do not expect the same.

Unless you want to dance and have big chests heaving and bouncing then perhaps 'Action' also then there is always -- Pirates! which demands less of a computer to play. Civ IV will be --- more thinking, and with some people they still want a click fest, but Civ IV is different enough and quicker game if you want than a click fest anymore. Each city should be specialized and building the same building over and over and the same units may not be how to play the game.

It will still take a good enough computer to play, but mine is not that good, but I do have a Nvidia Geforce video card, so except for the slowdown lag on the Diplomacy Screen (which one can Alt-Tab out to the Desktop to clear away the lag, and perhaps a patch or two for the game of Civ IV) the game is different, but Pirates! has all the big chest in the game heaving and bouncing around while the room swirls around when you dance, and that game may make anyone dizzy, and feel like a Pirate!

But Civ IV will be -- more thinking!

Comment

Gameplay looks good but i'd say you need to look at the Spec of your PC and make of graphics card to decide if a)it will work on your PC and b) how well.

Its 7PM now..just wondering if you've managed to get up yet

Comment

Only one advice is any good here: Buy!
                  Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                  Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Standup
                    Gameplay looks good but i'd say you need to look at the Spec of your PC and make of graphics card to decide if a)it will work on your PC and b) how well.

Its 7PM now..just wondering if you've managed to get up yet
                    Up at 0700 every weekday im afraid!! The PC is fine - AMD 2.1ghz, 1 gig ram, Radeon 9600XT gfx card (will run RTW and Doom 3 smoothly on the highest settings).

Raion - the more I have to think in a game, the more I like it, this is why i'm a longtime fan of Civ and Total War - been reading a lot of opinions on this site and it seems that Civ 4 is the game for me, assuming I can tolerate the bugs

Comment

Up at 0700 every weekday im afraid!! The PC is fine - AMD 2.1ghz, 1 gig ram, Radeon 9600XT gfx card
                      according to our VGA Guide http://civilization4.net/3/177/ you just need to have updated drivers
                      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Re: Re: Re: To buy or not to buy???

(about $1.30 per liter equivalent to any americans here, let your minds boggle)
                        Americans don't know what litres are - what you meant to say was $1.3*3.78 per gallon
                        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Buy it you're going to love it! The -true- bugs aren't near as bad as reading these forums would have you believe. They've done a hell of a good job with it.

I installed out of the box with a low end 64 mg Nvidia card, 2.6gz Cpu, 512mb RAM ... WinXP. Initially graphics weren't right but after installing the latest nvidia drivers it ran fine albeit a little slow between commands and turns.

I went out a couple days later and bought a new video Nvidia grafix card 256mg DDR and an additional 512mb RAM and everything is smooth as silk much quicker actually than CivIII. Played non-stop 12 hours yesterday

The only major bug I'm experiencing is my sound drops out in the middle of game play which is a shame cause I love the game music.

Buy buy buy.

-Ken

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: To buy or not to buy???

Originally posted by LordShiva

Americans don't know what litres are - what you meant to say was $1.3*3.78 per gallon
                            Hard to know, Uk gallons and US gallons are different sizes! We have about 4.5 litres to a gallon, either way 85% is tax

Comment

Originally posted by Egress1
                              Played non-stop 12 hours yesterday

-Ken
                              12 hours?? Enjoy your eye surgery! I figure to buy though, not going to let a trip to ati.com put me off. If all else fails, that patch is rumoured for next week

Comment

Working...
                              X