What causes global warming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What causes global warming?

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, I looked through a few pages of the forums and couldn't find the topic.

At the end of my latest game, I've had global warming strike roughly once every two turns. I can't find anything in the manual or civilopedia that describes what causes this. Also, is there a way I can stop/slow it down once it starts? Thanks.

Nuclear fallout left by ICBM - need to clean it fast or it is desert planet

Comment

I have had it when no nuclear weapons were used.. or produced

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Then you're playing a rather clever mod. You sure two AI nations weren't nuking each other without your knowledge?
        Friedrich Psitalon
        Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
        Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

The only time I saw global warming was when I nuked two Aztec cities in last nights game.

The cows glowed, the Inca came in and built a city right in the fallout (errr, yea, whatever guys).

I had one incident of global warming affecting Damascus but I couldn't tell what it did exactly. The rest of the fallout was cleaned up without incident.

Comment

Global Warming STINKS.

I had a game (no nukes as there was a nuclear non-prolifiration treaty put into place before the Manhatten was built) where global warming struck about every 4-5 turns.

It turns one square into desert - this may not sound like much - just one square?

But remember that desert is universally and toally, utterly, unusable. One tile turned desert is a tile suddenly GONE from your city/empire.

If I find a way to mod it out I will - or I might make deserts farmable to at least provide the neccessary 2 food to sustain life.

The lack of any way to prevent global warming (planting trees or whatever) and the lack of any way to mitigate the consequences are just plain boring.

Comment

Ok, someone make it clear now, please. What causes global warming? Obviously not only nukes.
              Last edited by BgT; November 4, 2005, 15:50.

Comment

Originally posted by kazper
                Global Warming STINKS.

I had a game (no nukes as there was a nuclear non-prolifiration treaty put into place before the Manhatten was built) where global warming struck about every 4-5 turns.

It turns one square into desert - this may not sound like much - just one square?

But remember that desert is universally and toally, utterly, unusable. One tile turned desert is a tile suddenly GONE from your city/empire.

If I find a way to mod it out I will - or I might make deserts farmable to at least provide the neccessary 2 food to sustain life.

The lack of any way to prevent global warming (planting trees or whatever) and the lack of any way to mitigate the consequences are just plain boring.
                I think it would be boring if there was a way to reverse global warming. If there was an easy way to reverse it, then why have it in at all. I don't think changing one tile to desert is too drastic. I mean, what else could they have done? And it will effect every civ equally more or less, so what is there to worry about?

Comment

I'm 99% sure that nukes are the only way global warming can occur. Even with a no-proliferation treaty, that stops the building of NEW nukes... old nukes can still be fired. If they were....

...gets warm.
                  Friedrich Psitalon

Comment

Originally posted by Fried-Psitalon
                    I'm 99% sure that nukes are the only way global warming can occur. Even with a no-proliferation treaty, that stops the building of NEW nukes... old nukes can still be fired. If they were....

...gets warm.
                    You are wrong. I repeat myself - I was U.N Secretary General and passed the non-proliferation treaty BEFORE the Manhatten Project was built. This means NO nukes could have been built at any time of the game.

It's that simple.

Edit: Maybe nuclear meltdowns in power stations could be the cause - I did not use those, but the AI might have. I didn't see any happening, but I guess it could happen without me noticing (although isn't it odd that a meltdown - and even a nuclear attack - can happen without the entire planet knowing? ) All I know is that is was definitely not due to nuclear warheads as there is no way they could exist in that game, so there must be another reason, whatever it is.

Comment

Woops, misread that part. Hmm. I'd guess reactors are the only way then, but I didn't think they could do that. Someone should run the game in debug mode and check that; may have a legitimate bug there.
                      Friedrich Psitalon

Comment

Maybe someone was cheating UN.

Comment

Does the game track pollution?
                          A large number of factories and coal plants, perhaps coupled with deforestation and no recylcling, might be enough to trigger global warming.

Comment

I've had this problem as well - no nukes that I know of, but terrible global warming. I've built many recycling centers, but they have not slowed the problem.

If the AI nukes another AI country, would I know it? Sure seems like I should.

Comment

No, the game doesn't track polution. Polution has been removed from the game entirely, and replaced with health. But lack of health doesn't cause global warming, just starvation.

It's a shame they removed polution though. One of the few areas in which the civ4 gameplay is worse than the old civs.

Comment

Working...
                              X