Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Civ4 hidden secrets (not cheats... secrets)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The trade across river part is just plain wrong. Rivers are incredibly conductive to trade in every way possible.

Comment

Click on the production line of your city on the map, and the production menu pops up without zooming into the city.

Comment

Re: Re: Civ4 hidden secrets (not cheats... secrets)

Originally posted by Heroes

Many great tricks! Thanks!

But where is the strategy layer? Could any one show a picture?
        First, you have to zoom out until the icons over the minimap change. Then, the second icon should be "Turn On Stratagy layer". Be warned! It does not save with the game, so you will loose it.

And about this trade across river thing: before engineering (for bridge)?
        I believe so. I'm only reporting what I saw happen. I had a road to a resource and the city one one side of the river could use it (build swords) but the city on the other side could not.

Tom P.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveMcW
          Click on the production line of your city on the map, and the production menu pops up without zooming into the city.
          That's in the manual. If you click on the name it brings up the production queue. If you double click it opens the city screen.

Tom P.

Comment

Originally posted by Blake
            rivers also provide a trade connection to the sea - allowing inland cities to have trade connections with distant lands, no coastal city required.
            If this is true (I'm not saying it's not) it should be in the main list. I'm not through the Advanced part of the manual yet but this doesn't seem intuitive - if the "cottages need to be worked" thing is on the list, this should be too.

Comment

Originally posted by nklatt
              Originally posted by Blake...
              rivers also provide a trade connection to the sea - allowing inland cities to have trade connections with distant lands, no coastal city required.

If this is true (I'm not saying it's not) it should be in the main list. I'm not through the Advanced part of the manual yet but this doesn't seem intuitive - if the "cottages need to be worked" thing is on the list, this should be too.
              Yes, deffinatly. Can someone back this up?

HDD0 of my CIV machine took a crap and drug the machine along with it. Now I've got to find a way to replace it. I had other drives in the machine but they were dynamic disks and can't be installed on so what the hell? I'll stop by BB or CC and see if I can' find an HDD for tonight.

Then on to the amazingly interesting task of re-installing XP Pro and CIV. It's gonna be a party tonight!

Tom P.

Comment

A screenshot demonstrating some possible trade connections.

All cities except Chicago have connections (you can see by the little trade arrow triangle icons). It isn't possible to connect to the coast by road only. A road can connect to a city on a coast, or a river.

As you can see with San Francisco the trade routes can be quite convulted. An ocean-going boat from Washington to Seattle, then a caravan along the road, to a river, where a boat then sails down the river and across the lake to San Francisco.

More usually I use effects like Atlanta, founding a city on a river that flows to the coast.

Connecting to rivers by road, such as demonstrated at Boston or Philadelpia is also useful (but roads can be pillaged, so founding on rivers makes for great ubreakable trade routes).

Comment

Originally posted by Blake
                  The trade across river part is just plain wrong. Rivers are incredibly conductive to trade in every way possible.
                  Yes, you are right. I misstated my findings.

I believe what I was experiencing was the resource doesn't cross the river. It was not trade but the Iron resource.

Now that I have my machine back (and without a faulty HDD) I'll have to put more testing into this. I thought I was seeing the resource in a city on one side of the river but not the other side, even thought they were joined by a road.

I'll remove it from the list for now and test it more tonight.

Tom P.

Comment

Here's another "secret":

If a captured base has an acadamy, the acadamy will give 4 culture a turn, thus a captured base with an acadamy can focus on stuff other than building a theatre or whatever. (this might be a bug since no other captured buildings give culture)

Comment

Working...
                    X