Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Civ4 hidden secrets (not cheats... secrets)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bhruic
    It's also worth noting that it's just exploration. It doesn't matter how you explored it. I was stuck on an island and hadn't built any boats yet. An AI boat showed up and I traded world maps. That got me a full "around the world" exploration, and gave me the extra movement, despite the fact I hadn't left the island.

Bh
    I thought it had been noted that one needs to be first...
    Last edited by Theseus; November 4, 2005, 17:21.
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus

I thought it had been noted that one needs to first...
      It can happen, I've seen it before as well (but not so extreme!) When you meet a civ who is nearly complete, and you fill in the blanks on the map for him, trading maps with him will give you a route. I don't know if it's always the human in the advantage, maybe sometimes the AI will get the route instead of you. Getting a map without giving one is definately a good tactic while you're in the race!

DeepO

Comment

Hmmm... yet another interesting aspect of being able to see other civs' mini-maps!
        The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

- I like how you can click on the culture slider at the top left of the screen, and see the effects IMMEDIATELY on the status bar of some of the cities. If i see an angry red face, i'll (+) until the face goes away, which is usually +10-20%.

Comment

where are the easter-eggs?
            My words are backed with hard coconuts.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePlagueRat
              There's another thread with Easter Eggs but I wanted to cover things that actually help gameplay.

It's in the General forum in the archives by now, you'll have to do a search for it.

Tom P.

Comment

Unlike previous games, discovering a technology obsoleting a wonder or a building has effect only on your civilization, not other civilizations. So if you discover Calendar, your opponent who built Stonehenge still can use it until he gets Calendar as well.
                The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
                - Frank Herbert

Comment

Originally posted by Martinus
                  Unlike previous games, discovering a technology obsoleting a wonder or a building has effect only on your civilization, not other civilizations. So if you discover Calendar, your opponent who built Stonehenge still can use it until he gets Calendar as well.
                  Wasn't taht the case in civ 3 as well?
                  (But not in civ 1-2?)

Comment

right click and hold over a tile you want to attack, to see your chances (was revealed to me in the loading screen, couldn't find it in the manual though?) - only against civ's you're at war with.

the symbols can be found at the tech folder paper (on the right side)

Comment

Originally posted by Gelvan
                      right click and hold over a tile you want to attack, to see your chances (was revealed to me in the loading screen, couldn't find it in the manual though?) - only against civ's you're at war with.
                      It's ALT and hover. I've corrected it.

Thanks,
                      Tom P.

Comment

Originally posted by duodecimal

We'll probably know for sure with the release of the SDK, but I imagine the game checks to see if there's at least one Y position in every X position that's revealed.

So if you go across the map and scan down every column of the grid, and you can see that there's at least one tile where revealed = true for all of them... then that triggers the event.

Sounds reasonable - I started an ancient game to do some tests. Opened world builder and gavemsyelf all techs (including satellites which removes all black parts). I instantly got the *crossed world* movement bonus on that tech.

Comment

Originally posted by padillah

It's ALT and hover. I've corrected it.
                          well actually it's both:

ALT + Hover

or

HOLD right mouse button

Comment

- Trade does not cross rivers until (later in the game). This means that if you have two Iron, one on one side of the river and one on the other side, and you trade off one then one set of cities will not be able to make swords cause they can't get Iron.
                            This is wrong. And here's my "secret"

Rivers make great trade routes, cities founded on the same river have a trade link. What's more, resources adjacant to rivers don't need a road, just build the pasture or whatever and the river will take care of the connection. (Especially useful on Great Plains)

More river secrets, rivers also provide a trade connection to the sea - allowing inland cities to have trade connections with distant lands, no coastal city required. (Especially useful on Terra, when you might want to found a city in the middle of the new land but still have trade connections)
                            Last edited by Blake; November 15, 2005, 19:36.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePlagueRat
                              Well, duh, you'll have to wait till Easter dude.

And don't try to reset the date on your computer. cIV has a special utility built in that uses your persistant net connection to verify the date. If you aren't connected, the eggs don't hatch.

I can reveal that on the most holy of days of each religion all practicing civs declare war on civs that do not recognize their religion. This is the dread "Crusade" egg.

Comment

Re: Civ4 hidden secrets (not cheats... secrets)

Originally posted by padillah
                                - There's a Strategy layer you get by zooming out a certain distance. This lets you draw lines and make signs on the map for strategic purposes

- Trade does not cross rivers until (later in the game). This means that if you have two Iron, one on one side of the river and one on the other side, and you trade off one then one set of cities will not be able to make swords cause they can't get Iron.
                                Many great tricks! Thanks!

But where is the strategy layer? Could any one show a picture?

And about this trade across river thing: before engineering (for bridge)?

Comment

Working...
                                X