• Show
Clear All

back to 75%

muwahahaha

Comment

There still is no patch. >:-(

Comment

Originally posted by taybme
        I dont know why I even bother responding some times, but the problem isnt people not having T&L or outdated drivers or whatever other user-side issue you want to point at.

My card has T&L and I have serious graphic issues playing the game.

From what I have seen, the game looks spectacular and after observing big budget releases like Civ IV come out over the years, there are always software problems, hence the concept of "patching." The only real solution is to cross your fingers and hope the game's initial problems happen to everyone else except you or sit patiently by and wait for the "patch." Unfortunatly I get to wait this time around.
        Have you posted your specific problem with your computer specs somewere here? I find that alot of people that say they have compliant computer's actually do not, or need driver updates etc. Many of us here would be glad to help you, but the devil's in the details

CS
        Global Admin/Owner
        Civilization Players Leagues
        www.civplayers.com
        http://steamcommunity.com/groups/civplayers steam://friends/joinchat/103582791431089902

Comment

I appreciate your interest and desire to help... I have been keeping a log of all the different attempts to get the game working here http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=141376

I am up for any suggestion...but forgive me if I come across sounding a little dejected.
          Last edited by taybme; November 2, 2005, 18:32.

Comment

Have you posted your specific problem with your computer specs somewhere here? I find that a lot of people that say they have compliant computer's actually do not, or need driver updates etc. Many of us here would be glad to help you, but the devil's in the details

CS
            You really have no idea how annoying this post is. Every time someone says the game doesn't work, its immediately thrown out that the user is at fault. But since you volunteered many people's help, I will direct you to my issue specific thread:

I'll post my machine specs here just so you know its not all out deception that my machine should run Civ 4 reliably.

Athlon64 3000+ (Socket 754)
            1GB RAM
            ATI 9600XT - VIO w/ 256MB RAM
            SB Audigy 2 ZS
            WinXP Pro SP2

DX9.0c as per the Civ4 install
            ATI Catalyst 5.10 / Omega 5.10 3rd party drivers
            SB Audigy driver ver. 5.12.2.444

I'm sure that you will find the obvious user error that has lead to my problems: I have misread the requirements on the box, am running a base winXP install without SP2 or a firewall, and have never updated my drivers. Thank you for your help.

I hope this come across steeped with sarcasm and frustration, because despite the promises of several authors like CanuckSoldier, I haven't had anyone really help solve the problem.

In all seriousness, if someone wants to help me fix my problem, and they help me fix it before a serious patch, they can start a thread to flame me, and they can post that they are more leet than I am in thier sig. I hope that's incentive enough, because I'm not paying money at this point.

Comment

As a completely off-topic note, I couldn't play Diablo 2 for almost a year because there was a spooling issue that caused the game to thrash the hard drive so much that it was unplayable. Of course, since there was only a few of us with that problem it was very low on the to-fix list at Blizzard and by the time it DID come out I was due for a new computer, anyway.

Long story short, at least you guys won't have to wait but a week or two to be able to play the game. I had a $70 Deluxe Diablo 2 that was virtually a coaster. By the time I got to play it I'd basically lost interest anyway.

And HEY! You've got a massive manual that you need to read, anyway. I'm still playing the game without a clue what's going on.

Comment

P.S. Yeah, yeah, I know. It doesn't make you feel any better.

Comment

BleckLord, is there a reason you would think that people on a fan run site would have any interest in being helpful to someone who is going out of their way to be obnoxious? I understand that you are frustrated. Lashing out at people who have nothing to do with your problem and who are only trying to help you and others that are having problems is counter-productive.
                  That it is wrong for a man to say he is certain of the objective truth of a proposition unless he can provide evidence which logically justifies that certainty. This is what agnosticism asserts and in my opinion, is all that is essential to agnosticism. ["Agnosticism and Christianity", 1889, Thomas Huxley]

Gary Denney
                  >>>-----The Archer----->

Comment

Although I have a complete lack of evidence, this is the first such non-cooperative tantrum I've had on the forum after being offered help. I've seen too many people with working copies of the game drop into help treads and:

A. tell people with non-functional copies that they need to fix their computer (hardware/software). Done (did it to fix the ATI issue)

B. tell people that are dissatisfied with their non-functional software that it is their fault. (some may have incompatible hardware, but many of these people simply don't have the savvy to know their hardware is incompatible)

C. proclaim that since all software has bugs and flaws that we should accept all software 'as-is' on release date, especially from Firaxis. (I personally feel the opposite way, we should demand high standards from high achievers)

D. (and especially D) that Firaxis/2k don't need to have an official forum for the game because Apolyton and CFC are more than good enough. Also that the hand full of posts by Firaxis employees on A and CFC constitute an effective method of communication from the developer to affected individuals. (Firaxis/2k should have had a big fat 'known ATI issue' statement on the Civ 4 site long before 2k even took the support site live)

E. call users: ignorant, incompetent, or stupid

Many fans with working titles have harassed dissatisfied Civ 4 'coaster' owners in threads dedicated to venting frustration over un-useable software. I felt I'd give it a try on the other side: the unhappy customer can be rude and offensive first.

BleckLord, is there a reason you would think that people on a fan run site would have any interest in being helpful to someone who is going out of their way to be obnoxious?
                    Nope, and I'm confident that nobody could give enough help to get it working satisfactorily anyway. Its not my system.

I apologize for lashing out, its all I have left until they patch.

Comment

Repairman_Jack,

We really have no idea that this will be fixed in a patch. For all the official communication I've seen; there is no patch being developed, there is no memory leak, there are no crash-to-desktop bugs.

I don't have the time to dig through the forums looking for Firaxis posts, and its not on the Civ 4, 2k, or Firaxis site.

all respect to Civfreak1970 (he's been going through a lot of the same issues I've been facing), but 2k never responded to my email support inquiry, not even an automated response. And I've had ZERO luck with phone support. Oh and the support website is a joke.

Comment

the flaw rate isn't 70% there is no way it's that high. Think of it this way, all the people who have a working game are playing it, all the people who couldn't get it to work came here for help.
                        GC Magazine|Gamecatcher

Comment

Originally posted by BleckLord
                          I felt I'd give it a try on the other side: the unhappy customer can be rude and offensive first.
                          Just thought I'd point out that the people to whom you are a customer aren't the ones you are lashing out at. Specifically in this instance you lashed out at someone politely offering assistance to someone else.
                          That it is wrong for a man to say he is certain of the objective truth of a proposition unless he can provide evidence which logically justifies that certainty. This is what agnosticism asserts and in my opinion, is all that is essential to agnosticism. ["Agnosticism and Christianity", 1889, Thomas Huxley]

Gary Denney
                          >>>-----The Archer----->

Comment

thought I'd point out that the people to whom you are a customer aren't the ones you are lashing out at. Specifically in this instance you lashed out at someone politely offering assistance to someone else.
                            I know. Its my evil indulgence for today. I am truly sorry for being an a-hole. I'll stop being outright mean. The offer for the sig and such is still valid, I've offered it in CFC too. Anyone is welcome to fix my Civ4 problems without patching the game, and they can flame me for my atrocious and depraved behavior.

the flaw rate isn't 70% there is no way it's that high. Think of it this way, all the people who have a working game are playing it, all the people who couldn't get it to work came here for help.
                            There is no way that you can say it isn't 70%; there is no guarantee that people with problems will come here, register, and post. That being said, it is not likely that the failure rate is 70%, but that doesn't make the problems go away. If this was a car model that had habitual random stalls for less than 1% of owners, and your car stalled all the time, I doubt you'd feel the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by BleckLord
                              Repairman_Jack,

We really have no idea that this will be fixed in a patch. For all the official communication I've seen; there is no patch being developed, there is no memory leak, there are no crash-to-desktop bugs.

I don't have the time to dig through the forums looking for Firaxis posts, and its not on the Civ 4, 2k, or Firaxis site.

all respect to Civfreak1970 (he's been going through a lot of the same issues I've been facing), but 2k never responded to my email support inquiry, not even an automated response. And I've had ZERO luck with phone support. Oh and the support website is a joke.
                              I've had no luck reaching 2k as well. I am very suspicious of the pending arrival of this patch. The only official communication has been the easy fix... there has been no word on any of the other problems.

The really disturbing part is all the beta testers we have around here, who presumably have greater access to Firaxis, haven't been advocating the need for a patch at all - in fact, they've been quite the opposite. The game, according to them, is just ducky, and the rest of us had better get new hardware.

Nevermind that my hardware meets the published specs. Nevermind that my hardware plays every other new game just fine.
                              What is SportsDigs.com?

Comment

Franklinnoble,

the latest completely unofficial info I've seen pushes the patch out to next week. Frankly, I though the patch would have been delivered today, Friday at the latest.

I would not be surprised if the beta testers have versions from a completely different baseline build. The release seems to have been rushed (and NOT because of french tech charts). In my book Firaxis and 2k share that responsibility.

Comment

Working...
                                X