Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Get science carried over to next technology?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ack, I hadn't considered it that way.
    Have to check it out. I figured it would just complete your current research wouldn't spill over.

Makes sense though (your way).
    Hum, there is one limit I think: only research one technology every turn. Similar with production: you can't build 2 units per turn in a city, no matter how much production you've got.

DeepO
    Ever played SMAC?

1.If you have 75points accumulated towards next tech you have em. Literally. Think of it as 'points' not some research done in waste if you happen to trade the same tech. Points then carry over to your next tech.

2.No limits - if your research spending is 2times your tech cost you should get 2 techs per turn.
    -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
    -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Originally posted by binTravkin

Ever played SMAC?
      Of course... this addiction didn't exactly start last week

DeepO

Comment

Then you have the answer on many things.
        Fellow SMAC players have already sighted borrowed-from-smac mechanisms and tech seems to be one of em.
        -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Not everything from SMAC would be suitable for the larger market CIV is aimed at, but whereas Civ 3 simply used nothing, some borrowing has been done, yes. Where CIV uses similar concepts, a lot of care went to make them simpler and easier to understand, still keeping as many choices as you could think of.

This happens in the beaker overflow thing; in how commerce, hammers and food are more easily interchangeable; in civics; in the use of missionaries; in the AI personalities, etc. All borrow ideas from SMAC, but in a different form.

It's because I loved SMAC that I'm also loving this game, I think

DeepO

Comment

ok, let's assume you skip some old techs and return later in the game to them. Making a lot of gold may allow you to research two techs a turns. What happens then?

Comment

Beakers get transferred to next turn, I think. If you would have 4 techs to research in 1 turn, it will take 4 turns to discover them. All the extra beakers of those 4 turns add up to the first tech which doesn't fill its queue in one turn.

I have never seen it used before, though. Even if you theoretically have the chance of leaving out some techs, you end up with most of them anyway. Or they still are rather expensive to research. Oh, and there are no real gains either... turnwise you gain access to the advanced techs at the same point in time.

DeepO

Comment

Beakers get transferred to next turn, I think. If you would have 4 techs to research in 1 turn, it will take 4 turns to discover them. All the extra beakers of those 4 turns add up to the first tech which doesn't fill its queue in one turn.
                It makes less sense than the SMAC system, thus I expect to see the SMAC system here - if you have enough beakers per turn, you can get 2 or more techs that turn.

Comment

Anyone know if your research points carry over if a GP discovers the tech you are working on?

Comment

Working...
                  X