Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the graphics card need to support pixel shaders to play?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the graphics card need to support pixel shaders to play?

Basically, can I play without pixel shading, which my graphics card can't do? The min. specs don't mention it, but the rec. specs say its needed.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

no and yes

Comment

Ok, but can I play or not?
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Well..

if you actually visit the civ4 site you'll see this line:

DirectX 9.0c-compatible 64 MB video card with Hardware T&L support ( GeForce 2/Radeon 7500 or better)
        Recommended:

128 MB Video Card w/ DirectX 8 support (pixel & vertex shaders)

Comment

Yeah, I did. I just wasn't certain if it had been overlooked or somethign. I've been burned by pixel shaders in the past, and don't plan to get a new comp for at least a year.
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

So, what card DO you have then?

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
              Ok, but can I play or not?
              yes, just make sure your card has got at least 64MB of video memory though.

Comment

Originally posted by Atahualpa

yes, just make sure your card has got at least 64MB of video memory though.
                How can you say that without knowing what card it is?
                A GeForce 256, though sounding funky, doesn't make you smile when you try to start the game.

Comment

Originally posted by neliz
                  Well..

if you actually visit the civ4 site you'll see this line:

Recommended:

128 MB Video Card w/ DirectX 8 support (pixel & vertex shaders)

http://www.2kgames.com/civ4/support_msr.htm
                  I'll say it here again, let's face reality shall we.
                  For a 2005 game you needfor:
                  nVidea: series 6000 and up
                  ATI: 9800PRO and up

The latter costs here (this is 21% tax included) a little over a 100€ (just noticed my local shop doesn't even sell it anymore)
                  a 6600 will set you back (depending on the version and there are many) about 120€

Don't go for less..really, don't!
                  Penny wise, pund foolish.
                  You'll be kicking yourself in a week and end up buying another card within six months.
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                  Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

GeForce 256 is worse than a GeForce 2, which is stated in the minimum specs.

Comment

well, nothing wrong with an fx5700 and upwards is there?

Dang, I need my 9800's and x800's to play civ4

Comment

Originally posted by alva

I'll say it here again, let's face reality shall we.
                        For a 2005 game you needfor:
                        nVidea: series 6000 and up
                        ATI: 9800PRO and up

The latter costs here (this is 21% tax included) a little over a 100€ (just noticed my local shop doesn't even sell it anymore)
                        a 6600 will set you back (depending on the version and there are many) about 120€

Don't go for less..really, don't!
                        Penny wise, pund foolish.
                        You'll be kicking yourself in a week and end up buying another card within six months.
                        The 6600GT 128MB is a solid card, the AGP version sells to as low as €150
                        A 9800 Pro is too outdated IMO and with the Radeon problems Civ4 currently has, I really wouldn't recommend ATI. We don't know yet, when they're going to release a patch.

Comment

Originally posted by Atahualpa

A 9800 Pro is too outdated IMO and with the Radeon problems Civ4 currently has, I really wouldn't recommend ATI. We don't know yet, when they're going to release a patch.
                          Which Radeon problems? and .. since the 9800 goes at only 100 it might fit into more people's budget

Game runs on 7500 Mobile, 9800 Pro and X800XT-PE...

Comment

I really wouldn't recommend ATI. We don't know yet, when they're going to release a patch.

The 9800 isn't affected and the ATI thing is fixed, wouldn't mentioned it otherwise.

Also as neliz pointed out, it is cheaper but still a very good card.
                            There's a big difference btween the 9600 and the 9800.
                            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I haven't seen a new patch already...

Comment

Working...
                              X