X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jon Miller
    remember Rambo

JM
    Rambo destroyed tanks, helicopters, dozens of machine gunners, etc. Mostly with a bow and arrow and a knife. So why not in Civ?

Comment

So...

having the ability to sever an opposing resource without enemy recourse, slap their city with massive unhealth, maim dozens of units to the point where you can waltz in with any modern unit, and shatter their infrastructure from any point on the globe TO any point on the globe....

...that's not powerful enough for you?
      Friedrich Psitalon
      Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
      Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

Whatever

*Dumb**Dumb**Dumb*
        Well, sure, but at least from a gameplay standpoint, it makes sense not to make modern-era units too overpowered, or else lagging players will get steamrolled.

Comment

A lot of us miss the nukes from Civ2 (Which halved the population and eliminated all troops in the city, plus pollution in the 8-surrounding tiles and the Planet Busters (obliterates the city and makes the area surrounding the city a small sea) from SMAC.
          "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
          "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
          Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Fried-Psitalon
            So...

having the ability to sever an opposing resource without enemy recourse, slap their city with massive unhealth, maim dozens of units to the point where you can waltz in with any modern unit, and shatter their infrastructure from any point on the globe TO any point on the globe....

No, no it's not. Not after every other Civ game where they cleared a city of units.

And also...have you played against an opponenet who has SDI yet? They make nukes completley worthless....I must have fired 20 nukes and had 3 hit....no SDI will ever become that good and definatley not if its supposed to be from our era (like all the other tech in the game)

Comment

Longbowman destroys tank ... absurd.

Not as bad as ancient galleys sinking submerged submarines in RON, but still annoying, and absurd.

Comment

Nukes stink in Civ4 now. They are a joke. Espically if they have SDI and bunkers. 75% of your nukes being intercepted and the 25% that does land their power is reduced by 75%. Lame.

Comment

So...

In MP they are ok, but in SP? No way.

Bring back the planet busters

Comment

Originally posted by Ansaga
                    Nukes stink in Civ4 now. They are a joke. Espically if they have SDI and bunkers. 75% of your nukes being intercepted and the 25% that does land their power is reduced by 75%. Lame.
                    You're wrong.

It's everything you said plus a -7 diplomacy with almost every civ.

Comment

There is a reason nukes are underpowered compared to Civ2 and SMAC. Because they were severly OVERPOWERED in those games, seriously unbalancing the game.

I'm happy for the change.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                        There is a reason nukes are underpowered compared to Civ2 and SMAC. Because they were severly OVERPOWERED in those games, seriously unbalancing the game.

I'm happy for the change.
                        It's not overpowered because the Manhattan Project in this game opens up nukes for everyone.

I don't know you, but I'm guessing you wear tighty whiteys

Comment

The strength of a nuke is 'balanced' in Civ4 BUT when they get SDI and shelters then they are basically useless. SDI should be reduced to 25-50% and shelters reduced to 25%. Then a nuke will be great again. Seriously building a shelter is cheaper then building a nuke >.>

Comment

Wow, I haven't got up to nukes yet in my game. Those protection rates for SDI and shelters sound "unbalanced". Should either lower the protection rates or make the nuke even more powerful so that when it does finally hit it's worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by beeper917

It's not overpowered because the Manhattan Project in this game opens up nukes for everyone.

I don't know you, but I'm guessing you wear tighty whiteys
                              I'm not sure exactly what 'tighty whiteys' means but I gather it is a personal attack directed at Imran Siddiqui. These forums are here for us to discuss the game and disagreement is a part of dicussion. Disagreeing with someone is fine but personal attacks are not welcome here. Many of us are paying members of Apolyton and we do not want the boards filled up with trash talk.
                              Thank you for understanding.
                              Formerly known as Masuro.
                              The sun never sets on a PBEM game.

Comment

Originally posted by beeper917
                                quote:
                                ... snip ...

have you played against an opponenet who has SDI yet?
                                :chuckle:
                                Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                                Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                                7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Working...
                                X