No announcement yet.

What's the "BEST" Video Card for Civ IV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They have support for the same graphical features, but the GT is faster.

6600 = 300 MHz core, 350 MHz memory.
    6600 GT = 500 MHz core, 500 MHz memory.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
      Ming, if you go for the 6600's or 6800's get the GT version, really much better.

Why?
      Originally posted by Solver
      They have support for the same graphical features, but the GT is faster.

6600 = 300 MHz core, 350 MHz memory.
      6600 GT = 500 MHz core, 500 MHz memory.
      In English...

The nVidia GTs have more power. They will run this game, and the next one or two, better. Thus it should last you longer. Could also make a difference in MP.

Price difference shouldn't be that much, and with this game would be worth it over a step up in processor. Don't sacrifice RAM though. Get 1G.

If you want to be really cautious, post the specs of what you find here and let us rip them apart.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

One caveat on the 6800 GT is that it seems to be the nVidia card in this general pricerange than has the most consistant problems with CIV.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson
          One caveat on the 6800 GT is that it seems to be the nVidia card in this general pricerange than has the most consistant problems with CIV.
          Is there similar problems with the 6600 GT?
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I have a Nvidia 6800 GT and I can run the game... I left it on overnight once and went back to playing and I've never crashed. I will admit though that I'm afraid to zoom out to look at the map later on in the game. It just runs FAR too slow when zooming out. I wonder what type of LOD algorithm they are using for the terrain and models on the map... Scrolling can be a probably too sometimes.

It's very slow when run on my laptop (ATI Radeon 9600, 2.8Ghz, 512 MB DDR), unplayable actually.

Honestly, I'm not sure if it's all a graphics issue on the hardware level, looks like a programming issue. That's why I'm curious as to what algorithm they used to render their objects.... Oh well, guess I just have to wait for a patch.

Comment

Nothing as consistant that I've seen, other than this, which isn't fatal:

Those whose Civ 4 game is stable (plays nicely with your hardware), have you experienced any crashes at all? What was happening when the crash occurred? I have played for at least 16 hours since release day and not had a single problem or strange artifact on the screen. I'm in 1700 AD on my...

I have an X2 4200+ 2GB RAM 7800 GTX Another user on another forum I go to has had this glitch with an nvidia card. Sorry if this has been addressed already, I looked and didnt see anything that looked like this. The glitch only happens when I zoom out that far.

Comment

Just to throw in my $.02 I have a Sapphire ATI x800 Pro AGP and I run the game fantastically well. I have yet to see any of these ATI issues people have been speaking of. I truly feel sorry for them all but boy am I happy mine's working.

specs:
                Athlon64 3200+
                MSI K8N Neo 2 Plat
                2gb HyperX PC3200
                Sapphire Radeon x800 Pro AGP
                SB Audigy2 Gamer

Comment

If you build now, you should go with a PCI-E MoBo. Your video card will cost a bit more, but you will be much more future proof. I would also consider an SLI or crossfire setup as well. Usually only runs US$30 to US$40 more for an SLI board.
                  Got my new computer!!!!

Comment

For my money, I'd say go with an nVidia 6600GT. I've got everything in Civ4 (and all the other games I play) running at maximum settings with nary a hiccup.

As for performance, it works fine - someone else says they're getting slow zoom-out when using the 6800gt (a better card) in the late game, but I'm not getting that problem.

I also have 2GB of RAM, which, I have to say, helps quite a bit.

The card will run you about 150-200, depending on where you get it. I usually buy cards from Newegg.com.

Comment

I fixed my problem yesterday by putting 1 GB of RAM into my computer. Now it doesn't go slow and seems to work just fine. I'm playing on a huge map with 18 civs.

spec:

winxp prof
                      1 GB ram
                      nvidia 6800gt
                      p4 2.6 Ghz
                      directx9c (october 2005 update)

Comment

Hmmm...
                        It seems like 1 GB of ram and the 6600 GT is the way to go.
                        Keep on Civin'
                        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

to that.
                          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Wise decision.
                            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I'm running a 6600GT and the only video problem I have is when I zoom way out (to the strategy layer), the clouds look fine, but the land and sea kind of "break up" into a striped mess. If I go into the video options of Civ 4 and change the Alias from whatever it is to anything else (0, 2, 4, I just need to change it), then it resets and everything is fine for about an hour or so, then I have to do it again. Not quite sure what's getting messed up.
                              Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?

Comment

that worried me as well... i would just save and load up the game again and it'd be fine again for a while.

Comment

Working...
                                X