are mountains always impassable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a tad bit too unrealistic.

In history, mountains were not absolutely impassable. Hannibal's overland march to Italy, anyone?

This really has to be one the most overused example in civ history and I bloody well know why: there is no other decent one!
    Can't model everything that happened just once in history.
    Anyway, gameplay should and does triumph reality, so...

But, I like the system the way it is now. MAYBE there should be a special unit that can "hoof-it" through the mountain,

Don't disagree with you here but!!
    What if the AI enters my borders with such a unit and places it on a mountain and we're at war, how am I going to get rid of it?
    If only one sort of unit gets to enter mountains, it means only the same type of unit could kill it, now that's a bit of a problem (and annoying cause I may have to build several of those units that are perhaps useless or outdated), isn't it.
    In game the explorer can only defend (IIRC) so that's not going to even work.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Interesting point. So, following my original logic and aplying yours, two units would be needed. One that can tromp through the mountains in Defence mode only, and one that can attack any unit located on a mountain square (Not meaning the attacking unit can occupy the square). So,.....

Nah, forget it. Mountains are NEVER passable, and it is easier that way. No need to put in 2 or 3 more rules for ONE terrain type is it?

Comment

Nah, forget it. Mountains are NEVER passable, and it is easier that way. No need to put in 2 or 3 more rules for ONE terrain type is it?

Exatly!!!
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Very intersting these two units. More thinking and using the old noggen'.
          The Sherrin Foundation
          Captain of the Concordian Armed Forces, Inspectorate of the MoD Term VI

Comment

Originally posted by alva
            This is a tad bit too unrealistic.

In history, mountains were not absolutely impassable. Hannibal's overland march to Italy, anyone?

This really has to be one the most overused example in civ history and I bloody well know why: there is no other decent one!
            Can't model everything that happened just once in history.
            Anyway, gameplay should and does triumph reality, so...

So does this mean we need a Great Leader named Hannibal to overpass mountains in Civ 4?
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
            X