are mountains always impassable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are mountains always impassable?

I haven't played far enough into the game yet, but is there a point where you get a unit or ability to pass over mountains?
    While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Yeah.. Airplanes?
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Air units can cross mountains. Gunships can cross all terrain except ocean/coast. Other than that Gunships behave exactly like land units, IE can be attacked by any other land unit even one without Air intercept.

Comment

ahem...let me clarify....any ground units

Having mountains as land shields is interesting otherwise.
        While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

Both mountains and ice are impassible

Comment

Mounties and Swiss Yoddelers should... in the future
            Monkey!!!

Comment

You should be able to build villas in mountains that yield 4 gold. (think Swiss alps and such)

Comment

I have to say that I love having mountains being impassable - a change I have been waiting for in years. Terrain shields

I believe that the ice that is not near the ice caps (Below the tundra and the like) are not impassable.
                "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
                "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
                Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

The snow (on land) is passable, you can even build a city on it. The ice (on the water) is not passible (at least according to the manual, did not try).

Comment

The ice is passable in some respects

Comment

I like the general impassibility of mountains, BUT I think you should be able to build roads through them.

First, only workers (maybe scouts and explorers) can get onto a mountain without a road. Make the movement cost huge, though - workers need 2 turns to get onto the mountain in the first place. Then it takes many, many, many turns to build the road, which enables other units to be able to cross, and then movement cost is still 3 (or 4, whatever it takes so that any unit crossing the mountain has to take at least one turn to cross it.)

Basically I want the option to move through them to be there, but make it difficult and slow, something that can only be done on a limited basis.

And absolutely no cities or forts in the mountains.

Comment

I do like that option aj, then the player would have to decide what is better, the immense time required to build roads thru mountains or the time to go around them.

Comment

Originally posted by ajbera
                          I like the general impassibility of mountains, BUT I think you should be able to build roads through them.

First, only workers (maybe scouts and explorers) can get onto a mountain without a road. Make the movement cost huge, though - workers need 2 turns to get onto the mountain in the first place. Then it takes many, many, many turns to build the road, which enables other units to be able to cross, and then movement cost is still 3 (or 4, whatever it takes so that any unit crossing the mountain has to take at least one turn to cross it.)

Basically I want the option to move through them to be there, but make it difficult and slow, something that can only be done on a limited basis.

And absolutely no cities or forts in the mountains.
                          This is opinion of course, so I am neither right or wrong. But, I like the system the way it is now. MAYBE there should be a special unit that can "hoof-it" through the mountain, but no roads should be able to be built on a mountain. If a certain unit should be modded to be able to cross mountains, I believe the unit should be explorer-like (IE no attack, defence only). Of course the defence rating could be HUGE, unless a second unit is modded that can attack any unit directly ON a mountain square with no penalties.

Comment

Using the editor, it's possible to add roads to mountains, although that's not much of a suprise.

Return of Alpine Troops would be awesome.
                            "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
                            "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
                            Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

This is a tad bit too unrealistic.

In history, mountains were not absolutely impassable. Hannibal's overland march to Italy, anyone?
                              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                              X